Support forums : Branches

dashboard plugin hooks

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: dashboard plugin hooks

Postby Kimberly » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:40 am

EdB wrote:Hey actually why not just fix the recently edited bit that you don't like? I mean, what are the odds that you come up with something and say "here are my improvements to a canned piece of the dashboard" and someone actually says "no I like the same old shit"?

I was looking back through some of the old threads here and I noticed there use to be a lot more people coming on and discussing things. You are right, if there aren't people discussing some change, then why not go ahead. The days of discussion yay and nay to ideas from a large group of users seems to be gone.

EdB wrote:QP just moves too damned slow for me. Big diff there eh?

I have tried promoting QP, try to encourage more programmers to take an interest in the project. I hope to be more involved this winter since I will be encamped in my little office since it is the only room I can afford to heat.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:48 am

Interesting. I find I rarely use the static navbars anymore. I figure why click to X so I can click to one of it's submenus if I can mouseover and go directly to the page I want?

Well anyway dashboard needs help. It needs ideas and coding. Hooks is a good beginning I guess. I mean, for those into using the dashboard it needs help. kinda like translations for me: totally not important other than as part of the project ... and probably valuable to someone somewhere :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Kimberly wrote:I have tried promoting QP, try to encourage more programmers to take an interest in the project. I hope to be more involved this winter since I will be encamped in my little office since it is the only room I can afford to heat.

Any kind of promotion is good. More users and coders are always welcome. It is a shame that we don't have the active community that we had a t the beginning. Just look at all the people who are on the core members group:

https://launchpad.net/~quam-plures-core/+members#active

Most of those are not active at all anymore :-(

There were plans for a total redesign of the admin and cool things like that but I doubt we will get round to that anytime soon.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:45 pm

EdB wrote:Interesting. I find I rarely use the static navbars anymore. I figure why click to X so I can click to one of it's submenus if I can mouseover and go directly to the page I want?

I should have said that I am and same as Ed here. I use the dropdown menus pretty much all the time and have actually been thinking about adding to them. Like allowing plugins to add to the menus and adding sub-menus to some of the existing ones.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:08 pm

Plugins already can add to the navbar (but I don't think they can/should add to the static bars). Although Yabs once added a second tab on the user's profile page via a plugin. But anyway any plugin that makes a page on the Tools tab can put itself into the Tools dropdown very easily. In fact that is something core ought to be doing anyway: if a plugin registers a tools tab then it automagically gets a Tools dropdown entry.

Going a wee bit astray here but so what. I just busted my ass trying to figure out how the Stats page has a "blue & red line" of navigation. Effectively a fourth static navbar structure. Turns out it isn't so hard, after almost creating a "module" out of antispam so I could duplicate what stats did inside the sessions module. But it isn't easy either. Especially getting it to be red on the selected page. Had to do it for distributed antispam by the way.

ANYWAY I guess we can name them "navbar" (with dropdowns), "topbar" (with dashboard) , "blogsbar" (obvious?), "bottombar" (with ... stuff), and that damnable fourth that shows up on stats the "nonbarbar". If you don't mind using those labels, which would you think plugins should be able to add to? Personally I think I should put some effort into making it easier to add/use/hook into the idea of the "nonbarbar", but I'm much more into (a) making sure the navbar actually follows the topbar and (b) making it painless for a plugin to add to the tools navbar if it makes a tools page tab.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:14 pm

EdB wrote:Plugins already can add to the navbar .

This is what I actually meant. Didn't know this so will look into it further.

By adding to the plugins menu I actually meant on the navbar. Hover over Global and move down to the plugins menu item. This then brings up a new menu with all your installed plugins listed. Clicking on a plugin takes you to the settings page for that plugin. This menu could also have a static menu item at the top for 'Install New Plugin'.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:28 pm

Ah okay that's different.

Plugins can give you a subtab on "Tools", and independent of that, can give you a "Tools dropdown entry" that takes you to where your Tools subtab is. To me there should be no reason for the plugin to code it twice: I should say "I have a tools subtab" and I should get both. Oh snap there is also a third: on Tools -> misc you can add a little blurb about your plugin. Where the "delete prerendered cache" link is. All of it should go hand in foot with ONE damned hook. Currently it is either 4 or 5 hooks to get it done.

On the idea of getting to a Plugin's settings page from there, can you make it do a flyout menu after it does a dropdown? Because then we can easily do all installed plugins and a dropdown/flyout for "install something else".

Anyway once we have flyouts, if we can have flyouts, we can then add hooks wherever it would be appropriate. The hook then triggers a flyout for that bit.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:32 am

leeturner wrote:
EdB wrote:Interesting. I find I rarely use the static navbars anymore. I figure why click to X so I can click to one of it's submenus if I can mouseover and go directly to the page I want?

I should have said that I am and same as Ed here. I use the dropdown menus pretty much all the time and have actually been thinking about adding to them. Like allowing plugins to add to the menus and adding sub-menus to some of the existing ones.

L

That was one thing I mentioned at the beginning when I joined was having everything in the toolbar. The thing is, you can not access everything from the dropdown, or at least I don't see it that way. Maybe I need to take a closer look. To me it was use the dropdown menu to go to one section and then click on one of the other menus to get to where I was going. If I just go ahead and bring up the main dashboard then it is all there and I can just go to the section I want.

I think doing away with the other menus outside of the dropdown toolbar would clean up the backend interface. I may take a look at this. I am not a fan of the suckerfish javascript menus (I am guessing that this is based on suckerfish?). I have built complex dropdown and flyout menus using just CSS (with an IE6 Hack to get around the IE 6 bugs) but they were hand coded and not dynamically generated. Anyway, I may re-examine the whole menu thing.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:21 am

Cool, let us know what you come up with.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Actually the navbar is a bit different. It starts with lots of bits grayed out due to you haven't visited a blog so it doesn't know which bits to offer. Under "Items" for example. Then even after you've hit a blog in admin it still doesn't offer all the blogs you could view items in. Instead it offers posts comments pages etcetera for that blog.

Another thought on the navbar is we probably don't want to create navigation tunnels, forcing the user to follow our little path to get to where they want to be. dropdown is good, flyout is good, but doing both in the same menu creates a maze that must be followed. Is that good?

Anyway it is another thing that we did a pretty good "first pass" at cleaning up (de-spamming) then never went back to, and is kinda OT for 5 hooks on the dashboard page. I just restored the get_manual_link() bit and will pop it into merge.
EdB
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Branches