Support forums : Branches

photoblogging albums

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: photoblogging albums

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:38 am

Today I will learn about creating a shiny new product on launchpad. Y'all have fun!
EdB
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:13 pm

OK! WHOAH!

As I don't know if steam gets regularly let out and then we all get back on track ... I'm going with that assumption.

First: The idea behind improving the photoblog is just that. Improving the photoblog. It is NOT some thing done to improve QP or it's function as a blogging platform. But it is a way to broaden the User base. Before the invectives, you both have, and made, some good points. And Kimberley is right, an Album is a visual representation of a folder that contains images. My bad for not explaining that as I assumed as photographers on the net, of which you both are, it was understood. Well, we know what they say about assumption (even if I did say I was going to go with yet another assumption above).

However, to reply back to Kimberley's comment reference if one wants to use Zenfolio then why not use that? Exactly! So the mirror applies to Why use QP to showcase/blog photography? Most online photography-specific platforms work with the integral ideas relating to presenting photography: collections, series, galleries .... photo albums ... for a reason :)

And yes, that also means Categories can be and are used to catalogue images, but photographers are visual people and more apt to think along the lines of "what I want this collection to do is sit in this folder which is now a photo album and stay there!" They have no freaking idea that all the bits and bobs live in a tabled database and sit there until a specific set of instructions are made to do XYZ!

OK. Now to take some time to read all the points!
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:37 pm

The thing is "improving photoblog" is "changing core" because a photoblog isn't all that different from a regular blog.

No worries. QP5 will probably be a bit better for a casual photoblogger, but probably not up to what an actual photographer would want. They, of course, will tend to use a program that specifically focuses on photography :) For that app though the idea of going there is kinda way down my list. My clients don't ask for it so I'm not too worried about it. I'd rather focus on things that improve my ability to sell a service based around the app, so that's going to be my focus.

Anyway I've had it. My apologies to Kimberly for venting like an asshole, but too bad. I've been disgusted with the pathetic pace and participation in this app almost since the beginning. So I'll go it alone now. Might not be the best it could be, but it will always get better. This app, unfortunately, will never live up to it's aspirations because there is no participation in key areas.

BTW there is nothing at QP5 yet. I figure there's a ton of stuff I gotta do that doesn't rise to the level of branchwork, so why bother doing it that way? 12/21 will be it's first release, so figure November I'll have files up there.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:58 pm

EdB wrote:Anyway I've had it. My apologies to Kimberly for venting like an asshole, but too bad. I've been disgusted with the pathetic pace and participation in this app almost since the beginning. So I'll go it alone now. Might not be the best it could be, but it will always get better. This app, unfortunately, will never live up to it's aspirations because there is no participation in key areas.

Sorry to see you go. I always thought we could make something of this app because even though there are far fewer of us than when it started I still think more people are better than one. Maybe I'm wrong who knows. Still, good luck with QP5.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:07 pm

leeturner wrote:I always thought we could make something of this app because even though there are far fewer of us than when it started I still think more people are better than one.

I completely agree with that, and I'd go so far as to say the people playing now participate much better than the early days. Still, look how long it took to get a single database change through merge. Roughly 6 months. 6 MONTHS! And the only reason I put it into merge was because of all the chatter about app_nonces. That branch (still) does nothing about the database upgrade routine and I had "html5_step_one" in process for some time, so I figured I'd better hurry because even though I can't really do much on nonces I sure can give a pretty clean database changing routine.

6 months, and most of the feedback was due to the damned name of the branch. No matter how many times I said "it has nothing to do with html5" nobody seemed to get that. When it finally sank in, and app_nonces was already a dead end by the way, it STILL languished in merge for no discernable reason. Other than as gatekeepers we wanted more than just one person saying "approve". Well hell with that as a criteria nothing will ever happen. OMG look at whatever is still in merge now. Look at the dates submitted to merge, and explain to my how more players is better IF nothing gets done with stuff.

So now I'm rebuilding the app. Again. Tossed some more php4, shrank out a bunch of useless bytes throughout, obsolete evo stuff is gone, tables are getting overhauled. And as soon as the tables are overhauled there ain't no compatibility anymore. Hell without a migrator I'm going to have to manually do each of my clients. Or, at least the ones I like ;)

Off topic I have removed every instance of "{tab" and "//tab" from the app. Good lord I *hate* stray tabs

Fortunately for quite a while plugins will work in both apps. That's a good thing, I think.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:50 pm

EdB wrote:I completely agree with that, and I'd go so far as to say the people playing now participate much better than the early days.

Totally agree. We have had a pretty good run over the past month with some nice changes going in

EdB wrote:Still, look how long it took to get a single database change through merge. Roughly 6 months. 6 MONTHS!

Yeah, it totally sucks how long things are taking to get through the whole process. It must be most frustrating for you as you are the one contributing most of the changes and then you see them getting held up by other people in the process. I know I wish I could play more but at the moment it isn't QP that pays the bills so it has to fit in my free time and what with work and a 5 year old there isn't much of that about :). For you to build services around QP you probably need it to move a lot faster than it is so QP5 will better support your needs.

EdB wrote:So now I'm rebuilding the app. Again. Tossed some more php4, shrank out a bunch of useless bytes throughout, obsolete evo stuff is gone, tables are getting overhauled. And as soon as the tables are overhauled there ain't no compatibility anymore. Hell without a migrator I'm going to have to manually do each of my clients. Or, at least the ones I like ;)

Sounds like you are already steaming ahead and it will be nice to see where you go with it. Who knows, if QP survives any longer, maybe the two can feed off of each other from an ideas perspective. Will you still be posting what you are up to here:

http://1912webworks.com/projects.php

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:26 am

Dunno what I'm gonna do with that blog. Kinda thinking the same thing once QP5 actually has content and stuff, but might end up using that domain as a home for QP5-ish dialog. I mean, limiting to LP stuff totally sucks. But plugins for sure. And Kimberly's question about crediting original creators is part of why I've got Yabs' rss reader but haven't packaged it up. Am I a thief for putting my name on it, or am I going to publish a plugin with no links leading back to me because all I did was port?
EdB
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 pm

EdB wrote:The thing is "improving photoblog" is "changing core" because a photoblog isn't all that different from a regular blog.

Excellent point and yet another of those that this photographer completely missed ;) personally, I think it would be nice to upgrade the photoblog but I can see -and agree- it's not a priority when there are other core issues (yes, pun intended) that need addressing first.

I'm not going to be much help as most of what you guys are talking about is only understandable to me as a concept. Practicalities are way beyond my input at this time. But I'm more then willing to chime in, and sometimes an uneducated opinion can also help kick off things in a good way!
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:41 pm

OK, so we need to decide if the whole photo-blogging thing is going to be carried forward or not and if so, who is going to head up development of this area. To be honest, this isn't really my thing so I won't have the time to look at this at the moment as I want to focus on other areas of QP but if it is an important area for others then we should agree on the changes that need to be made and then get on and make them.

Kimberly, are you up for heading the development on this one ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Previous

Return to Branches