Support forums : Branches

templates from that other app

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: templates from that other app

Postby EdB » Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:42 pm

I tend to agree. Out of the box it should be able to do stuff, and putting on a new face is "stuff". Kinda like how the plugins we ship with (and will ship with after pruning) aren't actively in use by the core. They let people do stuff by clicking. A few extra templates lets people change the look with clicking - not downloading and clicking.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:30 pm

leeturner wrote:This isn't about new users creating their own templates. This is about cutting back on the number that get installed with the core (currently just enough for the sample content blogs) and then providing the rest (and any future templates) on the QP templates site.

Yes, I know that but at the same time I was thinking that we were shipping templates that even with under the bonnet changes had the same paint job. I have been thinking about this and in my opinion it would be nice to have our own designs on the template we ship. If nothing else, we could work on taking the templates with the features that we want to showcase and give them a new paint job. Maybe not in current branches but I would like to see that before the next release. That way, our templates don't look so much like that other app. So we decide which templates do a good job of showcasing Quam Plures and then we give them a fresh coat of paint.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:44 pm

Not to be a stick in the mud, but the idea of "we should have our own templates" has been around since day one. The problem is no one makes anything and offers it up for core.

Tell ya what: if you can do style stuff but aren't comfortable with playing in the "show off the features" sandbox then we can partner up on it. I personally have no problem with the features side, but to me style runs out at "black text on white looks good".

In fact ya know what. I'm gonna turn the 4 "nifty_{{color}}" templates into a single template then have it do it's own widgets. That way we have a single template that offers per-instance settings and drives widgets. Other doo-dads are probably not so hard to do, but they go near style and going near style sucks. I mean, whenever I think of this stuff I think "but what should an intro or featured template do" then I get sweaty and chills and dizzy and I say fuck it black text on white looks good.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:11 pm

No, I don't mind playing with graphics. Every site I set up gets its own template just for that client. I know a bit about using those graphic editing programmes. And I can do a bit of coding but am really rusty. One of the sites I set up under QP the client wanted the comments to appear under the blog post instead of having to click on comments to see them and to leave comments should show the comment form under the blog. With three or more posts on a page, each comment form needs its own id; a little bit of really simple php gave each comment form its own id and a simple javacript then hides or unhides the comment form. The only thing I don't like is that after leaving a comment the user is taken to the single view of that post and they should go back to the page they were viewing. I need to fix that.

Anyway, first step is to decide which templates are going to be shipped with the core. Then we, or maybe that is me, needs to think about themes. I definitely would like to improve the photoblogging template (I love taking photos so I guess I have a bit of photographer in me) The plain grey theme is OK but the themes I see in zenphoto are really nice; a good place for inspiration.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:48 pm

That's kinda how I keep thinking - tweak what we have. BUT there ain't no reason we have to use an evopress base for blog #1. make something cool and say "this is for core" and I can't see why it would be tossed aside. er... unless it requires js for basic functioning. In other words *everything* beyond a cool look can be dialed in to how QP's templates should be. Given that yours truly pretty much wrote that book I got an inside track on making it happen is the thing ;)
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 am

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7631 creates a new template called "nifty_colors" and dammit I just now remembered I didn't change the $name from "Nifty Green" to a new name. Oh well. Lots of stuff still needs doing so there you go.

The template has 2 settings: you pick left or right for the sidebar, and green or purple or red or yellow for the color scheme. It defaults to right and a randomly selected color. The style.css will make it be left sidebar with no color bits. Well, some color bits were generic across templates so they are in style.css, but not anything that makes one of the originals be their own color. In other words, the other 4 style sheets are additions not overrides.

Anyway works fine lasts a long time, and it nowhere near done. It does not give a list of widgets. Might not ever make it do that since the containers are generic. It does not do "featured" or "intro" posts. That seriously needs to happen else it is a shit template. I have no idea what an attached image does and right now am thinking that'd be a cool third setting.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:00 am

OK, so where do I play?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:30 am

Grab the whole branch from https://code.launchpad.net/~quam-plures ... _templates but gimme another hour or so cuz I'm about to commit some changes. Like, I got the stupid featured post thing sorta figured out. All I'm doing is a white background instead of the light grayish thing, and left/right margins at 2ex instead of 1ex. Kinda focuses it up a bit I guess. Oh and different dillybops before and after.

So ... after my next commit I will leave style stuff to the grownups. Just wanted to make sure it did *something* else it would never pass my templates testing plugin tests. Oh and I haven't checked validation on it. Hell I haven't checked validation on anything in a long time. Wow. I'm such a renegade :roll:
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:38 am

Okay done. I figure me wasting more time on styles is pointless.

So ... ya up for doing whatever seems best for it? All I want to do is (a) make what happens to an attached image be a setting and maybe (b) have it provide it's own widgets.

Oh hey dig this: install it but don't change any settings. Just use it, then do a hard refresh on the page. The color is random, so without saving one it gives you a random color each time, but the js for the item title boxes is usually a different color because it does the "get the setting value" once for the styles and again for the js. Pretty neat :)

style commit done, on to technical bits again. yay!
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:55 am

Well, it looks like I am in a minority as far as number of templates are concerned :-) I'll let this one run its course and see what we end up with. It will be great to see some nice QP styled templates either way.

L
leeturner
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Branches