Support forums : Branches

templates from that other app

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

templates from that other app

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:50 pm

I know this has been brought up before but nothing happened, so I hereby suggest we ditch the canned templates from that other app.

We find 4 templates that work well and make them be the templates for the 4 canned blogs, then we find 4 others and add them in just for variety. We make sure our 8 aren't just clones of each other, meaning they look different AND offer fundamentally different ways to get stuff done. That would mean we ship with 13 templates when you add in the 4 feeds and sitemap.

In time for the next release.
EdB
Dracone

Re: templates from that other app

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:08 pm

I am up for that.

To be honest, I am still up for just shipping with 4 templates to reduce the overall footprint and getting the rest uploaded to the QP templates site

But that is just me ;)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Actually I should move everything on my templates page to that one, but then the whole versioning thing jumps up and bites us in the ass. Especially with the branch formerly known as html5 something or other changing the type field.

So anyway you'd leave out all the feeds and sitemap, or did you mean 4 plus those? We could also do 4 for the canned blogs, 2 common feeds (atom, rss2) and sitemap which would mean only 7 instead of the current 20. Personally I don't think we should not include something in those regards, so me personally I'd say 7 should be the bottom end of what we include. Still much lighter than 20 eh?

Either way yeah let's get it "ours" this time. First release doing it friendly for evo converters was important and there was a lot of noise about gonna make a shiny flexible template that never actually happened. So the people who played were all about the code.

Anyway we got a few templates that are unique so maybe we got enough to go with? All I care about is that we be smart about it. Meaning each one should have a really smart thing it highlights so we can you know say "look at that one for that type of thing". For example the current photoblog has the only custom widgets.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:27 pm

And yeah I'll go ahead and make sure I have zips of what works with v000 and get them on our templates page, then get that into the bloglist. Then figure out how to point out that they don't work if you're using nightly snapshot after 9/3/11 :)

Kinda finally busy so it'll take some time, but it'll be good time cuz I ain't burned out from playing there. Yet ;)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:33 pm

EdB wrote:So anyway you'd leave out all the feeds and sitemap, or did you mean 4 plus those? We could also do 4 for the canned blogs, 2 common feeds (atom, rss2) and sitemap which would mean only 7 instead of the current 20. Personally I don't think we should not include something in those regards, so me personally I'd say 7 should be the bottom end of what we include. Still much lighter than 20 eh?

Sorry, yes I meant 4 templates plus the feeds and sitemaps. For some reason, in my head I think of the feeds and sitemaps as part of the core. Shipping with just the 7 would be very cool IMHO :-)

Getting the templates up on the QP blog would also be a big step forward. Liking the sound of where that is going.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Gonna make a new thread in branches for this topic. No wait gonna move this one and do up something for our canned templates right now. Currently the ... series? I set up for templates contains ALL templates and they're good with current LP-core. So downgrading them to v000 shouldn't be an issue.

Anyway the branch will start out very simple: first step will be to chuck the templates we don't actually use.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:59 am

https://code.launchpad.net/~quam-plures ... _templates

1. get rid of all the canned visitor templates and go with 4 that are "for QP by QP" and highlight various doodads
    • like how photoblog is currently the only template to provide it's own widgets
    • and I dunno what we have now that has configurable bits via the class file
    • and hopefully across all 4 we can do different things with attached images and so forth
  2. something I want to do is make it find templates the way we find plugins
  3. other neat things to do in template-land?

For discovering existing templates, it is actually very easy. The trick is what happens when someone deletes out templates we expect in the sample installation. For plugins no problem because nothing actually depends on a plugin. But for sample contents we currently specify that blog 1 gets template 1, and make it a point to install that one first. Just thinking out loud again, but we could look for X and if not found then go with the first? Blog 2 would then look for it's preferred or use the second installed or the first if no second exists. And so on.

Or maybe we screw up the work that leeturner is currently doing by putting it somewhere in the installer about which template goes to which canned blog? That would suck.

Or maybe we get way extreme on the awesomeness scale and figure out a way to use a tiny little cheatsheet file that tells the installer which template goes with which canned blog? Like, get a start on using files to build the sample contents.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:54 am

http://quamplures.net/templates.php Those with logins there can see the currently protected post and say if they like it or not.

I've got a bunch of templates zipped for v0.0.0 which by the way was lpv7579, and lpv7628 which has a significant change to templates. Anyway the files are named really simple: "template_folder_name.lpversion.zip", so as time goes on all we have to do is edit the post and add a third link. Then a fourth and a fifth and so on blah blah blah which will look like total crap but that's for later. For now it seems effective? Oh and I'm ready to go with cranking out 50 or so posts for that blog. I got a little localhost file that'll build all the post contents for me, so all I gotta do is (a) know what we want to see there, then (b) make it happen via my localhost file, then (c) slowly but surely copy/paste into ~50 new posts.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 am

EdB wrote:For discovering existing templates, it is actually very easy. The trick is what happens when someone deletes out templates we expect in the sample installation. For plugins no problem because nothing actually depends on a plugin. But for sample contents we currently specify that blog 1 gets template 1, and make it a point to install that one first. Just thinking out loud again, but we could look for X and if not found then go with the first? Blog 2 would then look for it's preferred or use the second installed or the first if no second exists. And so on.

I really like the auto discovery of templates. I am in two minds as to whether we need to cater for the edge cases where someone who knows enough to delete the templates would also install the sample content. If they do then they would probably know enough to pop over to the admin and re-assign the blog to a different template. Also what happens if I delete all the templates and install the sample content? Not sure about this one really. Just thinking out loud.

EdB wrote:Or maybe we screw up the work that leeturner is currently doing by putting it somewhere in the installer about which template goes to which canned blog? That would suck.

Booooo - that would suck :(

EdB wrote:Or maybe we get way extreme on the awesomeness scale and figure out a way to use a tiny little cheatsheet file that tells the installer which template goes with which canned blog? Like, get a start on using files to build the sample contents.

This sounds cool. Depends on how long you think it will take. I think we should be heading for a shiny new release by the end of this month so we need to start thinking about getting all the merge proposals reviewed etc and then we can get a release schedule going every 4 months (which brings us to another release around the new year)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 am

EdB wrote:http://quamplures.net/templates.php Those with logins there can see the currently protected post and say if they like it or not.

I've got a bunch of templates zipped for v0.0.0 which by the way was lpv7579, and lpv7628 which has a significant change to templates. Anyway the files are named really simple: "template_folder_name.lpversion.zip", so as time goes on all we have to do is edit the post and add a third link. Then a fourth and a fifth and so on blah blah blah which will look like total crap but that's for later. For now it seems effective? Oh and I'm ready to go with cranking out 50 or so posts for that blog. I got a little localhost file that'll build all the post contents for me, so all I gotta do is (a) know what we want to see there, then (b) make it happen via my localhost file, then (c) slowly but surely copy/paste into ~50 new posts.

I think it looks fine. I say kick off your little script and copy and paste away (unless others have a problem with it of course).

L
leeturner
Dracone

Next

Return to Branches