Support forums : Branches

twitter tweets when comments are made

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

twitter tweets when comments are made

Postby leeturner » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:57 pm

It sounds like the twitter plugin is really starting to kick ass. Can't wait till it tweets when someone posts a comment ;)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Re: Blog settings for twitter plugin

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:06 pm

leeturner wrote:It sounds like the twitter plugin is really starting to kick ass. Can't wait till it tweets when someone posts a comment ;)

L

OMG I am going to have to kill you.

Okay that is an awesome idea for logged in people, and free-typing this but it needs a token and secret which means we have to store info about the person which means they need to be registered and logged in. I suppose in a parallel universe somewhere it might be reasonable to let them decide if they want to tweet when they comment then save "name, email, URL, token, secret" in a second plugin table such that we identify a return commenter and tweet it out. No cookie means offer the chance to authorize the app, cookie means check the table and either offer or say they are gonna tweet with an option to drop the token.

v3 material though. Getting it to the point Yabs defined a need for is enough of a PITA due to testing has to happen live and the only blog I'm trying to connect with it is where I post about branches and I have more than enough branches out there right now. Plus I already tried one or two that didn't need to be out there but I wanted to multitweet. And it failed. So it is kinda on the back burner a bit again. OTOH I thought about having the plugins blog tweet to my other twitter account, but then I still don't have a good way to drop the keys associating that account with the other blog. And I don't think I can do 2 blogs to 1 account due to twitter will say "hold on you already trusted that app".

BUT right now I broke a web I need by updating to current core so I gotta fix that.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:48 pm

Could it tweet for the blog and the app twitter accounts if they are setup correctly regardless of whether you are logged in or not?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:58 pm

Ah so like the blog and/or app tweet when a visitor leaves a comment? I'm sure it could. Heck all it takes is using the CommentHookThatWillWorkForThis hook (which by definition will work for this) and it could follow the exact same logic as it follows when tweeting posts. In other words there is a limit of 1 or 2 or 3 tweets and an order of user,blog,app or app,blog,user. Therefore a comment from an unregistered visitor would be the same as a blogger who didn't connect to their personal twitter account. Even with a limit of 1 it would still do the blog or the app depending on order of tweets.

This is actually a rather awesome thought because it gives another way for someone to follow comments, although it would not be per-item following. Follow the blog's twitter account and you'll get comments on all items, which means you'll get comments on items you might care about.

Still free-typing without looking at code by the way, and decided to hack a core file to solve my latest problem.
Off topic We currently have no way to turn off adding a core line to the Messages array, so I hacked in "$add_message = true" so a plugin could turn off the "added default widgets" message.

Anyway I'm gonna split off some posts here into a new thread due to I really don't want to try to make this happen now and I don't want to lose track of the idea of comments sending tweets.

Okay I won't have to kill you now. Good thing for you most hit men take Sundays off eh?
EdB
Dracone

Re: twitter tweets when comments are made

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:03 pm

I'm thinking the message format would be very much canned. Something like "new comment on {{item}} at {{shortname}} - link"
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:10 pm

EdB wrote:Okay I won't have to kill you now. Good thing for you most hit men take Sundays off eh?

Phew ;)
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Here's another one I want to add to twitter but don't want to do in v2 because it is already extremely complicated and will need some time to mellow out a bit: once each blog can have their own account we can make a widget that says something like "follow this blog @whatever" if the visitor hits a multipost, and "follow this author @whatever or this blog @whatever" if the visitor hits a permalink.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:39 pm

Like the sound of the widget. Not sure if you are aware but for reference, twitter do an official 'Follow button' which you could use to build your widget if you wanted:

http://www.hackingquamplures.com/quam-p ... ton-plugin
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:48 pm

ah man at some point I probably would have remembered you already have a plugin for following. Well then perhaps I shouldn't worry about this aspect of v3, or perhaps I should think about merging what you've done into where v2 will be?
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Feel free either way, I don't mind :D

L
leeturner
Dracone

Next

Return to Branches