Support forums : Branches

twitter tweets when comments are made

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: twitter tweets when comments are made

Postby EdB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Actually I just now had a thought while waiting for winmerge to compare ~47K files on my D drive with a similar number on my C drive so I can sync branches before updating branches before testing branches: this twitter plugin is all about sending outbound pings - not offering the ability for a visitor to tweet your website/page to their twitter stream. So it might not make sense given the scope of what twitter_plugin does to have it reach out and embrace new worlds.

Dunno. One thing at a time eh? Chamber of Commerce today. Yay?
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:04 pm

Yeah, might be worth keeping it as it is.

Of course, along with tweeting when comments are made there is also the "Collect all the tweets I have made today and create a post with them" type functionality. ;)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:23 pm

I've been looking a lot lately at all the various social media bitches. Twitter, IMHO, is totally awesome in terms of how flexible they are when it comes to other websites interacting with them.

Anyway I dunno if one monstrously huge plugin or many more-focused plugins is the better way to go. For example twitter as-is needs to do the oauth connection thing and needs read/write. Many other twitter interactions simply don't need that, so why would we ask for then if someone only wants a simpler level in their twitterography?

Off topic Lots of branches with conflicts after the 4 merges Tblue just did. My plan is always to update my stuff including conflict resolution post core changes, then move on to whatever I was on. In this case it'll be doing 2 code reviews cuz I've kinda gone FIFO on that stuff, which means it'll be another round of merging core and resolving conflicts. Such is life eh?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:43 pm

This should probably have an off switch. Think about a site running QP that gets 300 or 500 comments (and I have seen sites on the net with hundreds of comments posted). Someone may not want to tweet several hundred times in the course of a day or two on a hot and heavy commenting post.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:58 pm

I'm totally into settings. Frequently the largest bit of code in my plugins is for providing control to the appropriate party. So yeah each blog owner would get to say "on/off" to this particular feature, with the installation owner able to say what each blog's default would be. But not each commenter. I can't see letting a visitor take a decision away from the blog owner.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:24 pm

Would there be a way to put a timer on tweets? Most of the time I get no comments on my posts. However, I do know that some heavy sites get a lot of comments. A person may want the tweets on comments to go out, but not say 30 within a few minutes. So if there was a way to queue comment tweets and send them out more slowly so that you don't flood your followers; would that be possible?

Edit Then again, I don't know how that would work. If they get a tweet and come to read the comment and see that five other comments have also been left, then later they get another tweet and they have already read that comment. See, I don't really use twitter so I really don't know how the twitting world works. Just thinking that you would not want to flood your followers.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:53 pm

That's actually a good thought. Another setting alongside "tweet when a comment happens" would be "how long between comment tweets" with a default of 15 or 30 minutes or whatever. Some folks I follow tweet their living days away. Other folks not so much. So maybe twitter has some data or guidelines on it, but yeah that'd be a smart addition.
EdB
Dracone

Previous

Return to Branches