Support forums : Branches

rebuilding the write page ... again

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: rebuilding the write page ... again

Postby Tblue » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 pm

EdB wrote:What is a slide out window? Because I thought the floaty-box thing was a great way to handle both cases (without having done any testing) because the whole idea of who has focus is a non-issue. Oh wait you mean like how ... for example google maps you can make the left side kinda slide out of the way. Or like how the little blue arrows expand or collapse a section. What you're saying is FM always loads on the write page and starts collapsed. You then open it over the write page and use it, then slide it out of the way again.

Exactly! The FM keeps its state even if it is closed. Maybe we could use something like this:

http://www.building58.com/examples/tabSlideOut.html
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:11 pm

https://code.launchpad.net/~quam-plures ... write_page
It is where all core players can edit because some of this stuff is not in my bag of tricks and honestly I've already got a branch that works for me so I'm not too motivated to carry this one to completion.

1) "link to url" back up top.
2) "post type" back up top.
3) not sure if others want to see the "delete" and "close" features back but let's not lose track of the idea.
4) FM in a floaty-box.
5) FM in a slidey-pane.
6) center-align the "publish now" string of buttons.
7) center-align the "attach images" section.

#1 and #2 I can do instantly because it has been part of my QP ever since we moved them to the bottom.

#7 hasn't been discussed. What I did was when you open the "images and attachments" section it is left-aligned. I figured it was outside the norm (much like Kimberly's observation on #6!) but serves no purpose for being that way. So long ago I made it be centered. Purely cosmetic but consistency is important. To me anyway. So unless peeps know a reason why it is left-aligned and/or want to see it stay that way I'll be able to add this one really easy.

Ah I see Tblue just posting something. Will post this then see his bit.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Tblue wrote:... Exactly! The FM keeps its state even if it is closed. Maybe we could use something like this:

http://www.building58.com/examples/tabSlideOut.html

Okay way cool. I wonder if jQueryUI already has something because we already have jQueryUI. If not then we add another twiddle-bit but personally I'd rather us not add that extra js for only one feature. I hope that makes sense.

Hey did I mention in my previous about how maybe what the "Files" button does should be definable by admin on Global Settings? Like, "slidey-pane" for the image-intensive crowd, "floaty-box" for most users (this be default), and "no files button" for the text-only work-related crowd. They might use attach for powerpoints and excels and what not, but simply don't care about using FM to inline images which I would say is the single most important value in FM from Files button.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:18 pm

Right, I don't know about jQuery UI, I just googled "jquery slideout". Of course, using jQuery UI would be better. I doesn't even have to look exactly like the slideout, it just needs to keep the FM's state, if you know what I mean. A hidden filemanager on the same page.

Setting for file button behaviour: Nice idea, but maybe it should even be user-specific?
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:25 pm

EdB wrote:What is a slide out window? Because I thought the floaty-box thing was a great way to handle both cases (without having done any testing) because the whole idea of who has focus is a non-issue. Oh wait you mean like how ... for example google maps you can make the left side kinda slide out of the way. Or like how the little blue arrows expand or collapse a section. What you're saying is FM always loads on the write page and starts collapsed. You then open it over the write page and use it, then slide it out of the way again.

Yes. Although I am not saying that it is necessarily a good idea, it might be a bad idea. It came to me that you could have the FM as part of the write page. Not sure how it would affect load and other issues. Just throwing out ideas is all.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:27 pm

The actions buttons do need to stay in order, if we start to move them around then people have to relearn them; might cause misclicks

So when/if we add action buttons, they always get added to the left side? Or always to the right side?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Kimberly wrote:The actions buttons do need to stay in order, if we start to move them around then people have to relearn them; might cause misclicks

So when/if we add action buttons, they always get added to the left side? Or always to the right side?

Splitting hairs, but right-aligning means they stay in the same place. The order obviously won't change any more than it does even if we center-align.

Currently the "Publish now" vanishes if you manually select "published" visibility. Or anything other than draft really, BUT plugins can add new buttons to the left of the pile of buttons. I've done it once or twice when the plugin didn't warrant it's own toolbar. I mean, literally it was just a button I needed to add. I forget the hook's name. But yeah they always go to the left.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:53 pm

Flexibility is a good thing, it means we give choices instead of saying, "This is the way it is, this is the way you have to do it."

If we can offer some flexibility in the file manager on the write page, either floaty-box or slidey-pane or something else, that might be a good thing. I think with the way I work, having quick access to the file manager by the slidey-pane would be nice; I would still like the upload part to work as it does in the pop-up version we have now; giving me the uploaded file at the top with options on how it should be inserted. I can see others wanting it in a floaty-box. Have it tied to the user profile so that different users can have it different; like with the editor, either TinyMCE, or HTML, floaty-box or slidey-pane. The main thing is not having to code several file-managers for the write page which would mean enlarging the size of the distribution necessarily.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Not sure, but I think this is how it would go for slidey-pane. It starts closed and loaded just like FM on it's own page. Then it acts just like FM on it's own page when you open it and upload. Meaning you get what FM on it's own page gets. Close it up and re-open later, and you get what you closed.

The peeps who would use floaty-box would have it different because each time they shut it down they would lose the "this is the stuff you just uploaded" aspect.

BTW that would be from the "Files" button. I'm assuming that for the "images and attachments" link we're basically doing the same thing only bringing in the "click the chain to attach this file" angle. So for slidey-pane peeps maybe that feature would have to be always on? Or maybe we re-invent a totally new way to get all the possible things one might want to do without having to have 2 links to slight variations of the same thing.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:22 am

OK, file manager in a pop-up acts a bit different because we are testing that it was opened in a pop-up and not by clicking on the files in the top menu. So we could do simpler testing that it is the file manager in a slidey-pane or file manager in the floaty-box. When we are on the write page, we don't the thing about making a separate post for each of the files we select. We should be able to make changes like we are doing now with the file manager in a pop-up, instead of popping up, it is sliding out. In reality it loaded in when we loaded the write page and is just hidden from view until we need it.
Kimberly
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Branches