Support forums : Branches

rebuilding the write page ... again

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: rebuilding the write page ... again

Postby EdB » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:04 pm

1) "link to url" back up top. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7629
2) "post type" back up top. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7629
3) not sure if others want to see the "delete" and "close" features back but let's not lose track of the idea.
4) FM in a floaty-box.
5) FM in a slidey-pane.
6) center-align the "publish now" string of buttons.
7) center-align the "attach images" section. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7629
8) start "bozo thing" false instead of true.

#8 reduces a wee bit the bozo thing yelling at you for changing an item that didn't get changed at all. The problem is with it starting true just clicking in a field then away from the page triggers it, and I haven't noticed any downside to starting with it false.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:56 am

There is another topic concerning the behaviour of save or save/edit that was discussed. There is a condition that a save can occur without a title even though the blog is set to throw an error is a title is not included. Let me go find that and then add the topic here.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=744&hilit=save

Edit After looking at the topic, it was that the post appeared to be saved and/or published when it had not and I think one could move away and lose the edit
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:55 am

I have that other thread bookmarked, which is supposed to mean I want to get back to it one day. Unfortunately both bookmarks and watched for me to into a second page way too often. But that one doesn't get dropped for lack of interest.

I kinda think that one ought to be solved on it's own though because it isn't really about the layout of the write page. It's more like a bug, meaning no matter how the page is presented that damnable problem will happen.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:11 am

EdB wrote:I kinda think that one ought to be solved on it's own though because it isn't really about the layout of the write page. It's more like a bug, meaning no matter how the page is presented that damnable problem will happen.

True. I guess I should start working harder here. I wasted most of the day.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:41 am

1) "link to url" back up top. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7629
2) "post type" back up top. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7629
3) not sure if others want to see the "delete" and "close" features back but let's not lose track of the idea.
4) FM in a floaty-box.
5) FM in a slidey-pane.
6) center-align the "publish now" string of buttons.
7) center-align the "attach images" section. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7629
8) start "bozo thing" false instead of true. http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7631

Just did #8 after figuring out there ain't no way #4 is gonna come from me. I made the button cause a floaty-box, but it had an error message in it then went away and the real page reloaded FM without any navigation stuff. So I figured okay no button and made a plain text link do the floaty-box thing, which worked, but it wouldn't send any information back to the real page. I have no idea how to play with jQuery stuff so I figured just give up no it and move on. I'm kinda thinking it has something to do with letting the original page know that the floaty-box was more than just a popup and would actually be communicating with the actual page, but I have no clue and can't learn because that's the way it is.

Anyway for me this is it. I'd like to see #4 or #5 happen, and it would be way cool if we could somehow get some plugin action or maybe user settings action helping people dial it the way they want, but either way it ain't gonna come from me.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:29 am

I played with jquery when I started to do a fancybox toolbar for the editor. The modal box would pop-up, and I could enter text. However, when I hit the OK box instead of inserting into the editor window, it reloaded the dashboard. I had no idea why it was causing the dashboard to reload so I abandon it.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:07 pm

It seems that this has some things in that most people agreed on. Is it worth bringing this branch up to date and testing it out ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:34 pm

leeturner wrote:It seems that this has some things in that most people agreed on. Is it worth bringing this branch up to date and testing it out ?

L

Yes, some of the things do help with usability of the write page.

As for the file manager entries, that is something I may play with again in building a branch. I actually like having the file manager embedded on the write page instead of it popping up. There are drawbacks to the pop-up when going back and forth in writing a post; again this depends on how one works when creating posts. I think Ed mentioned at the time in moving the file manager to a plugin arrangement. Not sure how much work that would be. My stance is keeping the file manager as part of the core and my stance is to leave it as part of the core but work on giving a choice between the pop-up and embedded versions for the write page that can be set maybe even on a per-user basis.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:04 pm

Kimberly wrote:Yes, some of the things do help with usability of the write page.

Yeah, I wasn't really going for the whole file manager thing at the moment to be honest. Just that I saw Ed had already made some changes so it makes sense to update the branch to the latest core and then test out the changes. We can then get it merged.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:44 am

I actually don't have that branch on my PC anymore, so I am getting it now and will see about updating it.

I used to be pretty good about making all my branches current with core each time there was a core change, but it got old ya know? Looks like we're getting a bit active here again, so I guess I'll see about getting some other old shit caught up to date :)
EdB
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Branches