Support forums : Branches

rebuilding the write page ... again

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

rebuilding the write page ... again

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:10 am

Referencing one item that came up in viewtopic.php?f=24&t=928 it seems there is good agreement to bring the "link to URL" field back up to where the item's title is. I had to do a "pure" installation because I personally never use the write tab as-is, but currently up above the posting textarea we have a section called "Post contents" which always contains a field for "Title" and believe it or not might also always contain the "Language" field. Most folk don't see it because we install with only one active locale and that bit of code is smart enough to say "a dropdown with only one item is not gonna happen". I think Tblue did that one.

ANYWAY way down there under the posting textarea we have "Advanced properties" with a little blue clickable arrow that Yabs created. Clicking that arrow reveals many fields. Type, Excerpt (for XML feeds), Link to url, URL title "slug", <title> tag, <meta> desc, and <meta> keywords.

Since we do not have "drag and drop" for admin, and hey the field in question is inside what would be a dragged box anyway, it seems we're of a mind to move "link to url" back up to the top. That'd be inside the "Post contents" section underneath the "Title" field. Personally I would like to move the "Type" selector as well. That's the one that lets you make podcasts and pages and sidebar links.

So! There does seem to be consensus to move "link to URL" back up top. Any thoughts on "Type" as well? Also any other issues with the build of the write tab that should be considered at this point?

Aha! I wonder about doing Lee's fancy new floaty-box for FM in a popup? Both the "Files" button and the iframe attachments page access FM in a popup so I dunno if both aspects are obtainable goals from me, but if this is the right direction for this branch then we'll have to figure out how to make it so.
EdB
Dracone

Re: rebuilding the write page ... again

Postby leeturner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:57 am

Definitely +1 for moving the post type dropdown up.

As for the FM, would be worth a try if you can. If not, I am certainly happy to give it a go.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Delete post while editing

Postby Tblue » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:15 pm

This originally was a separate topic, but I merged it into this one because it fits better here.

In b2evo 3.3.3 (oh noes, I SAID IT), I see a delete button when editing posts:

b.png
Editing screen in b2evo 3.3.3
b.png (4.27 KiB) Viewed 5761 times

It's missing in QP trunk, revision 7628:

q.png
Editing screen in QP r7628
q.png (6.71 KiB) Viewed 5761 times

I kind of miss it, it comes in handy sometimes. Note that the "close" button is missing as well, but I can simply use my browser's back button instead. To delete a post, however, I have to go to the blog's post list, which may require several clicks.

Any objections to adding the button back in?
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:56 pm

Moving the "Link to URL" field back to the top is a good idea. If you all think moving the Type dropdown would be a good idea as well, then let's do it. :)

FM in a fancy box would certainly be nice. :)
Tblue
Dracone

Re: Delete post while editing

Postby leeturner » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:05 pm

Tblue wrote:Any objections to adding the button back in?

Can't remember why it was removed. No objections to adding it back in.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Re: Delete post while editing

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:40 pm

Tblue wrote:...
In b2evo 3.3.3 (oh noes, I SAID IT), I see a delete button when editing posts:
It's missing in QP trunk, revision 7628:
Any objections to adding the button back in?

Um... yeah. It's been gone since at least rev 7548 (2010-09-04) and I'm pretty sure it went away for good reason. Like, why bother with vertical real estate for a redundant feature. The thing is if you meant to click "delete" but clicked "edit" instead then you go back and correct your mistake. But if you meant to click "edit" then why would there be an option to delete? Heck if you wanted to delete the item you wouldn't have clicked "edit".

The "close" button is probably the same thing: why give up a row to a link that doesn't do anything that can't easily be done in some other manner. Like, I want to edit this to add something a new renderer plugin lets me add. So I click edit and see that my new renderer plugin is not in the list of renderers. Oops I uploaded but forgot to install. Now what? Click "close" then start the path to Global settings->Plugins, or, start the path to Global settings->Plugins. Or I clicked edit and realized it is the wrong post. "close" gets me back to the items page, but so does my back button or just clicking "Items". So it always seems like a "close" button adds work for me to do whatever I might want, and it takes up space to slow me down.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:47 pm

As I said, the close button is not even a problem (can use back button). I just noticed it isn't there.
I mean, I've noticed that much earlier than just now, but I always forgot to mention it.

Okay, vertical space. Sure, I agree the delete button is somewhat redundant -- still, sometimes I could use it. Hm, I'll try to pay attention on what occasions I miss it and see if the problem shouldn't be rather solved "on the other end" (why did I click edit and wanted to delete the post from the editing screen in the first place?).

Nevermind then (for now, at least). :)
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:28 pm

Maybe this is a good time to examine the whole write page for things that might need to be reconsidered.

Anyway, someone mentioned FM in a pop-up. Currently we are using a browser window for the FM in a pop-up. No problem there but there is an annoyance that can be had at times. We have gone back to the regular FM in a pop-up with the upload tab. I like that because I use upload while writing. I may start to write a post and then upload a few images that I want to insert. So I click on files, go to upload, and upload the images, usually including the caption I want under the image. FM does it thing and when it comes back, it lists the uploaded files at the top of the view all together so I don't have to go hunting for them. That is a good thing, makes it easier. So I click on one of the files I just uploaded and insert it in my post, file manager then goes behind the write page, out of sight. That is not a good thing as you can forget it is open. I have gone back to writing and click on files, which of course will reload the file manager, losing my list of uploaded files (I can use the back button to get back) It would be nice if the FM in a pop-up stays on top, in view, until I close it, so I know that it is still open.

Another solution with the file manger on the write page would be to have it in a slide out window. However, I wonder if it would slow down the write page, could the file manger work in the background loading the FM, I can start writing the post while the FM loads the list of files.

The main thing is that the FM should not disappear from view until I tell it to go away.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:49 pm

One thing that has always bugged me from an aesthetics viewpoint is the bottom menu being over to the right instead of centred; I think that goes back to that other app. This is not actually a part of the write page but in the css. Still, is appears on the write page. One of the things I will do is to go into the css and make the bottom toolbar centred on the page. I have no idea why that other app thought the toolbar position looked better over to the right than centred. As I said, this is purely a making it pretty thing. All that negative space to the left to use artistic terms. It just feels unbalanced. Unless we want it to feel unbalanced to make a statement or something. Function wise it does not make any difference.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:55 pm

I know this has come up before ... the buttons aligned right I mean. Aligning right means no matter how many or few buttons there are, the overall position of the canned buttons remains the same relative to the rest of the page. It is only an asthetic issue when looking at one installation with no variance in buttons. So anyway I tend to think centering it would make it a wee bit more sucky than aligning it right.

On "FM in a popup" we need to be smart because there are really 2 cases for it showing up. First is the "FIles" button - everyone knows that. Second is after an item is saved we have the "attach files" link. Which by the way has a really stupid button: save and start attaching files. Yeah it saves, but it does not launch FM in an iframe-popup. All it does is exactly what "save and edit" above it does, so the text should say what it does. ANYWAY there are 2 ways we get FM in a popup and any change should hopefully address both.

What is a slide out window? Because I thought the floaty-box thing was a great way to handle both cases (without having done any testing) because the whole idea of who has focus is a non-issue. Oh wait you mean like how ... for example google maps you can make the left side kinda slide out of the way. Or like how the little blue arrows expand or collapse a section. What you're saying is FM always loads on the write page and starts collapsed. You then open it over the write page and use it, then slide it out of the way again.
EdB
Dracone

Next

Return to Branches