Support forums : Branches

Making the installer more obvious

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Making the installer more obvious

Postby leeturner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 10:21 am

Not directly related to the base config section but what do people think about helping people use secure passwords by using a little jquery based password strength checker when users are entering their admin password:

Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 10.19.52.png
Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 10.19.52.png (13.72 KiB) Viewed 3517 times

Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 10.20.03.png
Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 10.20.03.png (15.14 KiB) Viewed 3517 times

Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 10.16.18.png
Screen shot 2011-09-08 at 10.16.18.png (18.34 KiB) Viewed 3517 times

The same could also be used on the user profile page when entering a password there.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:08 pm

+1
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:36 pm

Well, why not. :)
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:25 pm

It can not hurt :) Don't forget the upper case letters and symbols for strong passwords :D
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:25 am

EdB wrote:Conceptually, the 4 connection fields could be asked for on the first input screen as well by the way. That way the second screen - the one you screen-shot - could be for verifying we could write the file and asking for anything else that we might be able to do on installation.

Bit confused with this one. Aren't the connection fields already on the first screen? The only screen that comes before this one is the "QP is not configured, click here or here for the installer" screen.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:33 am

Ah yeah maybe I got it backwards.

There is a "gimme 4 plus 2 others" and the "name rank and serial number" page. It would crowd things up a bit, but I'm kinda thinking it could all be on one page. login, password, email, 4 connection fields, table prefix, baseurl. Tone down the content-heavy notes by moving them down below the "go" button and we might be able to have all inputs and the "go" button without most folks having to scroll.

Nah actually that'd just add to the problems with the radio button options under differing circumstances.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:29 am

EdB wrote:"Blog settings - Website address" - has anyone ever needed to change this? Under what conditions? Would this be how someone can have the files at /public/foo/ but have their blog at /public/ ? Also does it actually work? IF there is no value in ever being able to change this then it should not be a text input - it should be an info field.

I am pretty much ready to wrap this branch up but wanted to get a view as to whether we want to leave the web address as it is, display it as an info field or just remove it all together? If it is an info field then the 'note' comment can also go as it relates to editing the web address. If we remove it all together then it makes the installer far simpler and we save a shit load of screen real estate :)

I know other blog apps don't bother showing it but that doesn't mean we shouldn't.

Any preferences ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:01 pm

Kimberly identified a scenario where it was useful though I didn't understand why not install it at the shorter domain in her example. Still, the note can probably get way short. Don't have it in front of me, but something like "this is where your files are and where your URL will be".
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:38 pm

OK, I am pretty much finished here so I am going to commit and R2M. However, before I do I just wanted to check something with you all. When you first start an install you get presented with this screen:

Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 13.31.11.png
Screen shot 2011-09-12 at 13.31.11.png (32.5 KiB) Viewed 3495 times

I have never really liked the way that this is displayed as an error type screen when it is an expected condition. I always thought that this was a pretty crappy first screen to get presented with when doing an install. I was wondering if I should make it more in line with the rest of the installer ?

What do you think ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm

Yup. Agreed.

And hey has anyone ever used the second linked "here"? I mean, WTF it can't find where the damned file is when all it has to do is look for it? Never actually looked at the code behind that bit though.

And hey I wonder if that second "here" exists for the same reason the "this is where your website is" form field exists ... and I wonder if both are advanced cases that the person installing could cover by creating their own _main_config.php file and not even bothering with the installer?
Off topic That same screen is presented when you upgrade. In other words, you get that ugly red screen and it says something like
QP is not installed you have version X but need to upgrade to version Y which means it is installed but the dbase doesn't match your files which means this is a crappy screen on 17 different levels but hey let's get one thing smarter at a time :)
EdB
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Branches