Support forums : Branches

Making the installer more obvious

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Making the installer more obvious

Postby leeturner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:04 am

OK, so this thread was created based on the discussions over here - viewtopic.php?f=24&t=906#p6284

Basically the question is whether we can make the base configuration part of the installer a little more intuitive ? Here is the base config part as it currently stands:

base_config.png
base_config.png (131.97 KiB) Viewed 4900 times

We do say that a database needs to be created but it is certainly not very noticeable in the small light grey text so that could be made more prominent. Also, should we remove the default db name, db user and db password to help remove any confusion about the fact that information does need to entered there?

Does any of the help text need changing ?

Given that a lot of people installing QP won't know or care what cookies are can we remove the bit about login cookies from the help text for the web address to read:

This is where Quam Plures and your blogs reside by default. CHECK THIS CAREFULLY or not much will work. If you want to test Quam Plures on your local machine, you MUST use http://localhost/path... Do NOT use your machine's name!

What are your thoughts?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Re: Making the installer more obvious

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:24 pm

From the top down:

The line "Your base config file has not been created." is dumber than a box of rocks. Hell why not also say it has not been populated with content or used or gotten any comments. I mean, we haven't even tried to create the damn thing. So get rid of one line, reduces the bold black to only one line.

"Blog settings - Website address" - has anyone ever needed to change this? Under what conditions? Would this be how someone can have the files at /public/foo/ but have their blog at /public/ ? Also does it actually work? IF there is no value in ever being able to change this then it should not be a text input - it should be an info field. Also, agree on remove the extra localhost bit from the note.

"Database you want to install into" - the note about "create it first" needs to be short and not a note. It is an instruction, so it should be a P tag preceding the first 4 text inputs. And probably wipe out all the pre-filled values. The fifth and final field should be visually separated from the rest, and probably should not have "MySQL" in it's name. To show that it is different from the other 4 ya know?

Conceptually, each section could have a footnote/followup UNDER the "do me" button. That way we do a quick overview above (no scroll bar for those comfortable with what is going on and looking for the submit), and some nice info down below for those who think "WTF is this stuff".

Conceptually, the 4 connection fields could be asked for on the first input screen as well by the way. That way the second screen - the one you screen-shot - could be for verifying we could write the file and asking for anything else that we might be able to do on installation. Heck eventually it could grow huge with all the pre-set assumptions we make for "Global settings" settings. Start with table prefix and the go button, then say "we are going to make your login cookies expire in 1 week unless you change this" then "enable user folders" and "enable shared folders" and on and on and on.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:50 pm

Something else I thought of that is only marginally related. You know the "install menu" link up top on the right? If it could get inside the rounded corner box that'd be better. I like having that link at the top, but I also like a cleaner interface ya know?

Anyway just a thought as you go down this path.

Oh most of my use is when doing dev/test work. I'll set "wipe_out_the_database_and_start_over" to 1 then click that link many times. I like not scrolling :) OTOH most users aren't going to need it so giving it the vertical space for only it doesn't seem smart.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:27 pm

For those playing along at home I am going to start implementing these changes in this branch:

https://code.launchpad.net/~leeturner/q ... ase_config

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:48 pm

The table prefix is important for another reason besides just multiple QP installations. Although I am not sure we need to address it with our installer but it should be mentioned in the installation docs if it is not already. Some hosting accounts will only have access to one MySQL database. Table prefix is a must if one only has one database they must share among applications. Which reminds me of an application I started to use once that refused to allow prefixes with the comment that one should only run one application per database.

Off topic What does the installer do if the prefix exists in the database? Say I install QP with qp_ as the prefix and I have on the same database my Quick Photos database is using qp_ and there just happen to be an instance where things mesh? QP installs a qp_files and my Quick Photos has a qp_files, would qp overwrite my Quick Photos qp_files?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:56 pm

Kimberly wrote:
Off topic What does the installer do if the prefix exists in the database? Say I install QP with qp_ as the prefix and I have on the same database my Quick Photos database is using qp_ and there just happen to be an instance where things mesh? QP installs a qp_files and my Quick Photos has a qp_files, would qp overwrite my Quick Photos qp_files?

I haven't tested this but I would imagine that the installer would fail when it tried to create a table that already existed in the DB

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:02 pm

The MySQL user name and the MySQL password section is a bit ambiguous. edoc7 left those fields as they were. Perhaps he thought they were default blog user names. Not sure of a better description; I think I need more coffee.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:06 pm

leeturner wrote:
Kimberly wrote:

I haven't tested this but I would imagine that the installer would fail when it tried to create a table that already existed in the DB

L

We turned off the ... (can't remember what it is called) where we get the list of tables that QP is creating. By turning that off, does it also turn off any errors when creating the tables? I should create a situation where I know there will be problems and then do a fresh install of QP.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:20 pm

The blog URL might need to be changed depending on how the user started the installation. This situation could warrant a change in the URL. I have installed QP at http://myrootdomain.tld/weblog/quam_plures/; however, I have set up a domain, myblog.tld which I point to /weblog/quam_plures/ so I can simply type http://myblog.tld. Now if I made the mistake of starting the installation at http://myrootdomain.tld/weblog/quam_plures, I am going to have the wrong URL. At the least, I need an indication that my URL is not going to be correct, either restart the installation or change the URL I want QP to be using.

OR is it going to matter? I need to do some fresh installs of QP testing some of this stuff out.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:23 pm

Kimberly wrote:We turned off the ... (can remember what it is called) where we get the list of tables that QP is creating. By turning that off, does it also turn off any errors when creating the tables? I should create a situation where I know there will be problems and then do a fresh install of QP.

We get a screen like this:

Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 18.22.17.png
Screen shot 2011-09-05 at 18.22.17.png (14.85 KiB) Viewed 4883 times

Which, to be fair could use some work.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Next

Return to Branches