Support forums : Branches

Remove post history from core application

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Remove post history from core application

Postby Tblue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:12 pm

I will just leave this here since some people do not seem to follow Launchpad, eh?

Quam Plures currently records changes to posts, but this data cannot be used in a meaningful way -- it fills up the database instead. This feature should most importantly be removed from the core application and implemented by a plugin at some later point.

What do you think? Launchpad blueprint: https://blueprints.launchpad.net/quam-p ... st-history
Tblue
Dracone

Re: Remove post history from core application

Postby EdB » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:25 pm

Please expand on "do not seem to follow launchpad" for me? I'm trying to follow it. I hate it, I think it is completely stupid, I think people who like it need a 12-step program. BUT it is the tool we're using so it is the price we have to pay to play here. So I visit https://code.launchpad.net/quam-plures? ... ecycle=ALL frequently so I can subscribe to any new branches. You can't tell it "notify me all the time" so ... great system :|

The blueprint system is ... I dunno. I can't see any value in it so I don't bother with it. I would have to hit the blueprints page frequently to subscribe to new stuff because (again) there is no way to tell it to notify me on any change.

BACK ON TOPIC: Francois had a habit of putting bits in the core that weren't going to do anything for a long time. And putting crap in the core that immediately went into crippled action but that's beside the point. If we're carrying post history and not using it then we should eject it. Can you ensure that as you unravel it we will have enough hooks left behind to let a plugin work with post history?

By the way I can envision value in it. In a group environment "who removed references to willie widget", or "when did the directions change" might be valuable info. Depending on what's actually stored I guess. If it isn't keeping a snapshot of before and after any editing activity then it is a very thin paper trail and probably not worth the paper it isn't printed on.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:17 pm

By the way I can envision value in it. In a group environment "who removed references to willie widget", or "when did the directions change" might be valuable info.

Yes, the feature may be useful for some people, but not in its current state. I don't think it belongs into the core application... Most bloggers write posts and never make big changes to them again.

Depending on what's actually stored I guess. If it isn't keeping a snapshot of before and after any editing activity then it is a very thin paper trail and probably not worth the paper it isn't printed on.

It simply keeps the complete data for each change (well, basic things like post title, contents, author etc). It would be better to keep the changes to the last revision, I think, but that's something for a future implementation. I will try to add some plugin hooks (well, actually -- shouldn't the current hooks suffice?).
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:28 am

Dunno if the current hookage is good or not. All I know is I think we need hooks we don't have ... but don't know what they are. I reckon we should all be asking that every time we rummage through something eh?
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:48 pm

Any progress on this? Now that I know of it I see the little icon that leads to nothing, so if no one is doing anything about it maybe someone would want to?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Topanga » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:40 pm

First time I see this post.
Qp is a multi-user blog-engine.
So it's not weird-thinking, that more then 1 person will work on 1 blogpost.

In WP, you can see the 'history' of all the stuff that's been done to an article, and who did it.
I had no idea this stuff was already in the db, that's why I have not mentioned it already.
But if this is in the database, if for some reason this is already 'captured', then by all means, please don't delete it, but make it of good use.

This is not for v0 tough.
Topanga
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:14 pm

It could be implemented by a plugin later on... The current code really only fills up your database.

I understand that post history can be useful for some people, especially in a multi-user environment. Apart from the fact that the current implementation doesn't deserve this name, does that make it a core feature? If it doesn't, it should move to a plugin and removed from the core. Otherwise, it needs a lot of work and an option to disable it.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:20 pm

I see the point of it now. Kinda like "workflow that has been done", so possibly enable/disable should be directly associated with if you turn on workflow?

I would say that it seems core-ish to me. I mean, as much as workflow is anyway. Basically given that it is fairly intuitive that multi-users might all work on the same content then yeah workflow and history are core bits. For someone like me, or for a blog that doesn't use workflow, I could care less if it is keeping the history of when *I* edited my stuff. So the bloat it is doing to the database is useless. Thus I'd say if it is married to workflow then it is a win-win type of thing.

I'd kinda hate to chop it out if we can't replicate it right away for v0. Is there steps that can be taken to keep it while making it future-friendly?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:42 pm

Maybe we could just add an option for now and set it to disabled by default? Or simply comment out the code that adds the useless data to the database and add a @todo?
Tblue
Dracone

Return to Branches