Support forums : Branches

File Manager Limits

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

File Manager Limits

Postby EdB » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:49 am

https://code.launchpad.net/~quam-plures ... ger_limits

Nothing pushed yet, and pretty much can't till the final monster is cored because I built it into monster for my needs. I do however have a reasonably good version on my PC. Basically the problem here is that any user can basically use your hosting space as their own personal storage system. I've always wanted a way to limit by number of files or total bytes, so I did :) Each type of file root now has a pair of text inputs for # of files and total byte size. If left empty then no limits are applied, which means there is no affect on existing installations. If set it checks at the moment of upload, and cancels the upload if either limit is reached. Well, for files it is easy but for bytes if you have even one byte remaining in your "limit" it will still let you upload the next 11 meg file - then it cuts off uploading.

On the "browse" tab I will add a red notice where it already shows us files and bytes saying "Reached File||Byte Limit", and disable the quick upload feature assuming a limit has been reached/exceeded. On the "Upload" tab there is no notice because I can change file roots with the radio buttons. So on that page I kinda had to wait for the moment of uploading to get the limits and compare. Each time it is about to upload another file it asks itself if it is allowed, so we are not "upload then cancel" - we cancel first if need be.

One thing I didn't think of was adding a folders limit. For my purposes I already disabled folders so I ain't concerned, but from a core perspective I probably should have added a setable limit. One thing I just thought of now is maybe disabling the radio buttons if that root is "full", but it might be more trouble than it is worth.

Anyway thoughts comments concerns?
EdB
Dracone

Re: File Manager Limits

Postby Kimberly » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:53 am

Limits definitely make sense on a multi-user system; especially with video uploads that can eat up a bit of space in a hurry. Why would folders be of a concern?
Kimberly
Dracone

Re: File Manager Limits

Postby EdB » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:45 pm

I fill one folder then create another, fill it and create another ... and so on and so on.

Currently we can turn folder creation on and off, so we "nip it in the bud". If folder creation is enabled and the owner wants upload limits then we need complex stuff to effect limits. Well ... "how many folders" and "can create subfolders" would do it. Just thinkin' out loud ... Anyway in my head I think if folder creation is on then it is really hard to give the installation own the ability to actually limit uploaded stuff.
EdB
Dracone

Return to Branches