Support forums : Branches

[done] qp5_next_branch

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

[done] qp5_next_branch

Postby EdB » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:17 pm

https://code.launchpad.net/~quam-plures ... ext_branch
No database changes this time - just shedloads of stuff that's been keeping any files from getting 'done'.

• Most table aliases have a "new" version alongside the current or old one. Eventually we wipe out all the old ones, but for now doing it this way let me get a hell of a lot of files finished ... more or less.
  • load_class() is gone - it hasn't been needed since we decided to not bother with php4 support.
  • get_manual_link() is gone (but the function is there if we ever want to bring it back).
  • The "icon_weight" and "word_weight" adjustability is gone - instead links show icon and text or just icon as core sees fit.
    'podcast' as a unique post type is gone. instead core will still handle them as podcasts based on file type in the "link to URL" field, but there can also be a 'podcast' plugin. not sure if I added it to core or not, and not sure if we want to.

Probably more but this is all I got in my head right now. Mostly this branch was all about getting files migrated completely instead of just bits and pieces. Lots of stuff is "mostly in these files but touches briefly a few others" ya know? This was an effort to just get them done.
EdB
Dracone

Re: qp5_next_branch

Postby Kimberly » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 am

Just wanted to take the time to say thanks for doing all this work.
Kimberly
Dracone

Re: qp5_next_branch

Postby EdB » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 am

:D

Hey anybody up for some graphics work? Ultimately "dark dragon" will be the default template on blog #1, and it has a sidebar logo widget up top. The only images I have for QP are either too wide or too small for the location, so for now I'm using the bi-plane I liked for QP5. So maybe someone can do something in the 200 by 100 range with the QP logo thingie?

Oh and I'm adopting some new terminology that I think will help "the cause". I no longer say "blog engine" or "CMS" - instead the software we write is, to me, a "web engine". I think mortals tend to understand it much better than either of the other common terms. I'm also calling us "The Quam Plures Project" because I think it sounds cool :) So if anyone is up for some graphic work, maybe keep the 4-way qpqp thing and get 'web engine' in there?

BTW I'm probably gonna shove this branch into core really soon and get the next one lined up. When "qp5_more_db_work" shows up it'll have ONLY 20 files that differ from monster. Unfortunately I've bumped into my own mistaken moves from way back. I dropped 2 tables that we have but don't use, and added 2 tables that seem to be more appropriate to the goal of the 2 I dropped. So I'm gonna have to make 2 db steps to drop them, knowing it'll screw up a QP5 installation but oh well eh? I'm also going to have to make 3 more db steps to get rid of another mention of "collection" that kinda matters.

Anyway more on some weird issues n stuff that we really gotta work on later. For now I'm into testing more_db_work and making sure it really is really actually working fully and completely because it will bring us within one branch of "no more monster, no more branches shoved through willy-nilly" :D
EdB
Dracone

Return to Branches