Support forums : Branches

QP5 Monster

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

QP5 Monster

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:08 am

https://code.launchpad.net/~edb/quam-plures/qp5_monster decided the best way to get there is one shot. I figure it was about a year of coding changes that got me so far from quam-plures proper so I either had to fask-walk all the steps in order again, or just get 'er done. So obviously I went with "get 'er done" :)

MANY changes, some of which I'll highlight because I know them off the top of my head
1) Templates won't work without updating your _template.class.php file
Code: Select all
class darkdragon_Template extends Template
{
   var $container_order = array( 'Header','Menu','Sidebar','Footer' );
   var $folder = 'darkdragon';
   var $name = 'Dark Dragon';
   var $type = 'html5';
   var $version = '1.0';
Hopefully that is obvious enough? The order of containers is no longer alphabetical - it is shown to a user on the containers page in the order specified by the template author. The type is either html5 or xhtml

2) There is no more "xhtml strict" It never mattered much anyway so it's gone. BTW going to html5, my intent is to still keep with the conventions of xhtml-trans - lowercase tags, close tags - stuff like that.

3) I think plugins will need some changes to make them fly again, but minor stuff and I can't even recall the diffs. Not hook names - didn't go after that detail yet. Anyway if a plugin craps out figure it'll be a simple fix to make it work again :)

4) Collections are Blogs, Chapters are Categories This one might affect plugins, or even templates. Lots of field names in lots of tables were changed, and for sure if you were accessing collection or chapter tables then the names are now different.

5) Translation stuff is different The current expectation is for an extra folder in the localization path, which is gone now. /php/ just isn't there at all anymore. Also I did a neat thing with plugin translations. Maybe templates too? What happens now is it will look for a translation and if it doesn't find one it'll look at the master and maybe get a match or two. EVERY TIME. Now what it does is says if it doesn't find one it uses the master to create one with whatever strings might match from the core level. That ought to save a few cycles on the server for those using something other than English :)

6) "Featured Post" is gone. It never did interface with the intro-types well and personally I never found a good use for it that couldn't be handled with an intro post, so it's gone. Also, some details about how intro posts work got changed maybe but I can't be sure right now. It takes a lot of work with date stamps and categories and stuff to figure out the whole intro-type thing :(

7) Distributed Antispam is on the horizon. Didn't follow up on it other than to lay the groundwork, but the coolest part is that it now tracks the date a keyword was entered, how it got entered, and how many things it removed or blocked. I'm pretty sure I have a date bug in there somewhere, but since I didn't do anything beyond make it happen I can't be sure what or where.

There's more. Lots more. Can't recall it all, so as I bump into stuff that I know is a diff I'll do a reply to this thread. Oh and I'm pretty sure https://code.launchpad.net/~edb/quam-plures/qp5_monster is testable :) I'm still doing testing on my localhost to make double sure it'll fly before marking it "mature" and putting it into the merge path, but a bit of a heads up is appropriate eh?
EdB
Dracone

Re: QP5 Monster

Postby leeturner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:47 am

If I can remember how to branch etc I'll pull this down and give it a shot. :D
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:17 pm

tried to attach a zip but it took forever. Instead you can find it at http://wonderwinds.com/qp5_monster.zip ... minus the .bzr folder and file.

Took me a while too :) The agent ransack login thing, be logged in at launchpad, then for me it's open the bzr explorer program with a right click to create a new branch. From there I paste in the string found on the branch's page. lp:~edb/quam-plures/qp5_monster For command line peeps I still don't know ...

Anyway the zip covers it. One thing I'm pretty sure will fail is upgrading a prior installation. I think what will happen is it will look for table names that no longer exist because later in the installation/upgrade cycle they get changed. A while back I figured out we could not use the table aliases for that stuff (use $table_prefix.'tablename' instead of T_tablename) but now I'm thinking even that won't work if tablename got changed. IF there is an issue there then the solution will be something like this:

if new-table-name doesn't exist then $temptablename = $oldtablename else $temptablename = $newtablename, then use $temptablename to do the actual work. I'm thinking I learned something about how it is not easy to simply find if a tablename exists in MySQL but I could be wrong. Even so, it won't be the end of the world ...
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:36 pm

BTW I am not touching this branch today and probably not tomorrow either. Today is "deal with a lawyer day" and tomorrow will be testing. So the zip is basically stable for a couple of days. If or when I find problems I'll commit solutions and update the zip, but that won't be till Thursday of this week at the earliest.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:14 pm

Good not to complicate things at this stage I think. Just done a fresh install from the zip and it ran fine.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:00 pm

I've been trying to upgrade and documenting the steps required. I'm about to actually pull the trigger on upgrading (both v0.0.0 and the last nightly snapshot before a few days ago) but have a thought going on in my head.

Perhaps we should put back in the plugins and templates that were part of core all the way back to v0.0.0 for long enough to get people through the upgrades? That way people won't have to find the new versions is what I'm thinking.

Templates are gonna suck to upgrade by the way :(

Anyway upgrading has to work as smoothly as possible, so here it goes ...
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 am

I am happy either way to be honest. I don't think there are a huge amount of QP installs out there in the wild so mostly it will be a hassle for us and we are far more equipped to deal with the problems that end users.

However, no point making it harder than it needs to be.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:02 pm

We don't upgrade templates; we just sit down and write new ones. Plus, having a good guide for people to follow on creating a template will be good to help people adopt the app.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:11 pm

For eight months now I have been immersed in creating a social network. In the app I use, language translations are handled by key-text pairs stored in a language file; English; en.php, Russian, ru.php; and so on. New key pairs can be added by modules (widgets or plugins) or by the end user in the admin section. One can simply set the base language in the backend and front-end users can switch languages either manually or you can detect by IP address (this is done using a module and not the core). Languages get compiled into the system from the language file.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:15 pm

I am thinking that if the changes between QPv0 and QP5 Monster are enough that upgrading a QPv0 installation will be problematic; then what we need to do is to have some export tools to export the content, posts, pages, etc to an xml file. Then the user will do a fresh install of what our app will be and then import their content into the fresh install.
Kimberly
Dracone

Next

Return to Branches