Support forums : Branches

QP5 Monster

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: QP5 Monster

Postby EdB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:23 pm

I've been updating templates all along :) Plus the casual user out there (who, granted, there ain't many of) kinda deserves a bit of a helping hand keeping what they've already created. Anyway a guide to how to make one would be really cool :)

The "$string = 'text'" method is really really common and makes translations easier, but b2evo went with the translation method it uses based on performance testing way back in the day. Once you get a large enough number of strings, looking up each in an array takes longer somehow. I personally have no testing data nor would I understand how to, but Francois was no slouch on details like that so I figure he's right.

Anway perhaps we should consider mixing and matching methods? Keep core doing it the current way and have plugins and templates do it via the string->text method? The huge bulk of strings comes from core - heck our current _global.php files are pure core and they're HUGE! The .po files for templates and plugins are relatively small, so at the root level of each folder we could offer a translatables file someone could copy/paste into their own language. For example _plugin_text.en.php where we (obviously) change the en part to whatever is desired? I think that would make it a hell of a lot easier on anyone who wants to write a template by having a list of strings that might already be translated out there available.

Plugins are hard because they rarely borrow strings from each other, BUT it would make it easier for the casual user to give a localization back.
EdB
Dracone
User avatar
 
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Maricopa Arizona

Re: QP5 Monster

Postby EdB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:25 pm

Kimberly wrote:I am thinking that if the changes between QPv0 and QP5 Monster are enough that upgrading a QPv0 installation will be problematic; then what we need to do is to have some export tools to export the content, posts, pages, etc to an xml file. Then the user will do a fresh install of what our app will be and then import their content into the fresh install.

Actually it wasn't that bad :)

Basically do some reasonably simple edits to your template, if your template isn't already available here, and you'll be good to go :) I have to do an install then add one of lee's plugins then upgrade to see what really needs changing there as well.
EdB
Dracone
User avatar
 
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Maricopa Arizona

Re: QP5 Monster

Postby EdB » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:35 pm

Added the following item to the first post:
7) Distributed Antispam is on the horizon. Didn't follow up on it other than to lay the groundwork, but the coolest part is that it now tracks the date a keyword was entered, how it got entered, and how many things it removed or blocked. I'm pretty sure I have a date bug in there somewhere, but since I didn't do anything beyond make it happen I can't be sure what or where.
EdB
Dracone
User avatar
 
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Maricopa Arizona

Re: QP5 Monster

Postby EdB » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:32 pm

I've been hammering away at "monster" for docblocks (phpdocumentor stuff) and comments-in-code and basically trying to get closer than ever to a single 'standard' for how our code looks while doing these qp5_something branches. The thing is I kinda stopped updating the branch and the zip, so I figure I better get on that right now.

Lee, Kimberly: if y'all are working on something it makes sense to work starting from the monster branch. Well over half the files are still in a state of change, so conflicts are going to happen. Frequently :(

Anyway the branch linked at the top of this thread is now updated, and I am right now uploading a new zip to http://wonderwinds.com/qp5_monster.zip ... and hopefully it is still actually fully functional :)

OFF TOPIC - Some of the bits I'm looking at in every file:
  • ($ is wrong - there should be spaces around the variable so function( $variable ) is how it goes
  • { // is wrong - the curly brace gets it's own line with the comment going one line down
  • double spacing is wrong - aligning bits in an array is cosmetic in some cases but not all, and is byte-wasteful
  • tabs belong against the left or with another tab to it's left - no tabs after any actual character on a line
  • global something; gets it's own line, and globals get alphabetical order
  • var $foo gets a docblock even if it is valueless crap. can't fix it later if we don't have it now eh?
  • line length for comments is running 80 to 100, code quite often goes longer but that's okay - it's code :)

Anyway as I work through making a step-branch I find stuff that can be 'standardized' so I back that up to monster and incorporate it into the branch of the moment. That's why files that were already part of a branch will be part of a branch in the future. The idea is that when there is nothing left of 'monster' and we're back to a normal regular LP project we will also have a really nicely 'standardized' code base :)
EdB
Dracone
User avatar
 
Posts: 2072
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:20 am
Location: Maricopa Arizona

Previous

Return to Branches

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron