Support forums : Branches

[done] move widgets out

Discussion about existing branches and the directions they need to go in, or, for branches that are going to happen. "Quickies" is wide open. "Branches" is more focused.

Moderator: Dracones

[done] move widgets out

Postby EdB » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:56 pm

Yabs moved widgets into plugins folder with an eye on eventually making it so coders could add widgets without adding plugins, but it never went any further than that. At some point I decided I didn't like the mix n match aspect to that folder, so was going to either change the naming structure or move widgets back to their own home. I opted to move the widgets back, and that's what this branch is all about. [link removed due to branch deleted]

The problem with it as-is is that somehow I also jacked up how the default Blog A looks - a style issue somewhere. Might have been a previous branch that did the messup? Anyway that is the first of many that will blend QP and QP5 :)

I started that branch then realized I should have gone after some of the easier yet much more file-intensive work first ... tons of stuff done that focus entirely on autodocs for example. Oh well eh? I'm thinking if I go by major defineable chunks of work I'll end up getting most of the trivial shit done at the same time, thus leaving only details to tidy up after later.

Not gonna merge that one right away though. Give it some time for feedback of course ... and hey if anyone wants I'll make a zip of it so's you don't have to do the launchpad stuff to get a copy.
EdB
Dracone

Re: move widgets out

Postby EdB » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 pm

Oh snap! Looks like I pushed this one right into core after all. Dang! It's been way too long since I've done this I kinda forgot to unbind and rebind....
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:38 am

It would have made it there eventually ;)
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:23 am

https://code.launchpad.net/~quam-plures ... s_back_out

I kinda knew what was wrong, and also that doing this wouldn't have any file conflicts with the qp5_antispam branch, so I figured I'd give this one a go again. The idea still being to break "monster" down into more-manageable chunks for the merge process and the documentation efforts

This branch takes the widgets out of the /qp_plugins/ folder and puts them into the /qp_inc/widgets/ folder. It also changes something that seemed a bit silly, which MIGHT impact your template: instead of creating a class called "widget_widget_title" for the title widget, the first "widget_" is gone - it creates "widget_title" instead.
  • In your template's style sheet search for "widget_widget_" and replace it with "widget_"
  • In your template's style sheet search for "widget_plugin_" and replace it with "plugin_"

I'm pretty sure the next branch or two will be database changers, so they will have to wait till we process both https://code.launchpad.net/~quam-plures ... 5_antispam and this branch :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 pm

I am sure that I have asked this before; what is the difference between a widget and a plugin.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:19 am

A widget, generally, exists to put some sort of bit on the visible page. Title, bloglist - stuff like that. Core has 'em, nobody else can add a widget without it being a core mod.

A plugin can do all sorts of stuff, including exactly like what a widget would do. The big difference is anyone can write and share a plugin - no core mods needed to make them work. For example I wrote a plugin once that lets you make a second blog list out of blogs that are not in your real blog list. One across the header, the second one in the sidebar for example. Sure - a widget could be coded that would do exactly that job, but core won't "see" it until we do core mods to make it happen.

So in terms of what they do, there ain't much difference in most cases.

Oh and widgets are - generally - extremely lightweight files. Plugins tend to get bigger, and I'm pretty sure hog up more resources. Yabs wanted to have a way where anyone could code a widget without using the plugin manager, so we moved them all into the same folder. Anyway I figured until such times as I (or we again eh?) were actually ready to have anyone else's widgets "just work" it made more sense to move them back out because it makes the plugins folder more cleaner looking :)
EdB
Dracone

Return to Branches