Support forums : We, Quam Plures

A new bug tracker

Were can you find us, what is registered in 'our' name

Moderator: Dracones

A new bug tracker

Postby Tblue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:00 pm

Some complained that Launchpad's bugtracker is not very intuitive (no easy way to see closed bugs) and I think we all more or less agree that using the forums as a bug tracker does not really work out...

I've been looking for an alternative and found Bugzilla. It's a little bit complex (i. e. you have to get familiar with it), but it does what you tell it to do. :) Additionally, you can link it with Launchpad so you can still link bugs to merge proposals etc (not yet done, though).

Oh, it has good documentation too, explaining things like products, components, statuses and resolutions. It also has some humour.

Try it! http://bugs.quamplures.net

It runs on my own server as I couldn't get it to work on the QP servers.
Tblue
Dracone

Re: A new bug tracker

Postby EdB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Cool. I signed up for the email list thing and created an account at the bugs thing. I reckon one day I'll just sit myself down and write up a million little bug reports ... then start fixing them :)

On the "enter bug" page, you should set up a shedload of options. "Core" and "plugins" seems kinda limited ya know? Core would be a default for nothing else makes sense for the bug, so plugins, templates, translations, admin seem like good ways to list where a bug might be from a user perspective. Actually templates might be "templates/public". Oh and "installation". Again everything would default to "core" so without an installation category to pick I'd put my installation bug report in core ... if the page told me "if you can't find a good category pick core".
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:47 pm

I signed up for the email list thing

Yeah, about that... I wanted Bugzilla to send emails about new bug reports to that list, but I'm not sure if it will work out -- we will see. It may very well be that it won't work well. :)

On the "enter bug" page, you should set up a shedload of options. "Core" and "plugins" seems kinda limited ya know?

Of course. I wanted to add, let me check, Templates and Translations as well.

Okay, so if you want to report a bug in the admin interface (I called it "backoffice"), you would select "Quam Plures itself" and then "Backoffice" as a component. Could add more components, of course, like Installer. :)

If you want to report a bug for a plugin we ship, you would select "Shipped plugins" and then use the component field to select the actual plugin you have a problem with. If you need a new hook, on the other hand, you need to select "Quam Plures itself" and the Plugins component. Get the idea?

Again everything would default to "core" so without an installation category to pick I'd put my installation bug report in core ... if the page told me "if you can't find a good category pick core".

I think I can modify the templates Bugzilla uses so adding a note like that should be possible... Let me check.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm

I just made you an admin as well so you can tinker around.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:13 pm

Added a note on the product page (the page you see after you click "New").
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Aha. I didn't notice the component option on the other side. I'll tinker with it for real when I wake up some, and play in the admin when I think I have a grip on the how-it-works.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:28 am

Cool, just signed up. Thanks for setting this up and hosting.

Note to self - change the 'bugs' link in the dropdown menu at the top of qp.net to link to new bug tracker.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:52 pm

I'm testing some things, sorry for flooding your mail accounts. ;)
Tblue
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:27 pm

No worries :-) If you need any help on the admin front just let me know and promote my account etc .
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:34 pm

Okay, before promoting you, let me ask you a question: Can you see this bug? http://bugs.quamplures.net/cgi-bin/show_bug.cgi?id=7

(You will see it in a moment)
Tblue
Dracone

Next

Return to We, Quam Plures