Support forums : We, Quam Plures

I haz forked ur project [b2evo fork notification]

Were can you find us, what is registered in 'our' name

Moderator: Dracones

Re: I haz forked ur project [b2evo fork notification]

Postby EdB » Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:44 pm

Great minds think alike ... and I thought of something that could tie into a published open letter.

My simple thought, based mostly on what Yabs posted above, is that maybe each of us could and should add a sentence or two (in his or her own words and language) to our "signature" on the open letter? The idea is that it makes it more than just a list of names - almost like an actual signature is what I mean. Being web-based means we can do it with mouse-overs or some lovely javascript that enhances gracefully? Or just put it in a blockquote and call it a day.

I'd say we keep it short - not rewrite the entire letter. My thing above was for comic relief, but the opening salvo would be very close to what I would say in my "I signed" bit.

Oh and since I haven't hit a scrollbar yet I'd like to point out that if stk were to put some effort into crafting the actual letter we'd probably end up with "really good without going negative" cuz I think he's got the skilz for that sort of thing. (stk that's a hint ;) )
EdB
Dracone

Postby stk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:25 pm

If for some reason this makes you feel better ... go for it! :D

(Experience says that talking with the FFG is a waste of precious life energy. I'd rather spend that energy talking with people that do care what we have to say ... Quam Plures users and maybe even some b2evolution users). ;-)
stk

Postby stk » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:33 pm

@EdB ... not sure my "skilz" would shine in this area. I'm so frustrated with b2evo's direction and leadership that I'd be tempted - and am actually planning on, just haven't set aside the time - to write something (on Randsco) that's more akin to your pointed bit of text. (Planning on picking apart the "I am King" post, which is so filled with flawed logic that it's both an egomaniacal - is that a word? - article and a head-shaking riot at the same time. Would you really want this self-proclaimed honcho designing YOUR software?!? Not me! ... part of why it should be on the "must read" list for anyone even remotely thinking of chosing b2evolution. )

I only wish I'd known what kind of ride I would have been on. Mighta picked something else. (Wouldn't have met you neat folks, but might be a tad happier with my software).

In other news, Yabba says he's pulling my "mod" status on the b2evo forums. LOL ... has been a while since I've had a desire (or time) to roam those halls!

Back to drywall mudding.
stk

Postby Tblue » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 pm

EdB wrote:My simple thought, based mostly on what Yabs posted above, is that maybe each of us could and should add a sentence or two (in his or her own words and language) to our "signature" on the open letter?

Good idea, I have to say something personal anyway (will stop maintaining de.b2evo.net and diffs.b2evo.net).
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Laibcoms » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:44 am

Yep, why not post it on the site instead? They'll find it sooner or later anyways ;) And more likely than not, the FLOSS Blog space is going to pick up the news in 24-48 hours hitting on b2evo and QP like "Do we need another fork/platform?" you get the idea.

Also, how about making it more neutral or objective. As a Vulcan would say, "logical". I understand the emotional reaction but the other party is doing just that already and I believe we are better than the other party. What I'm saying is, there's no need to go down to the same level of tackling our differences, if the other party wants to do it that way, then so be it. Let's stay neutral and state or present our cause and why we're better in a simple and objective way.

How we can do that, I do not know (I'll post my version of the letter later). Forking b2evo itself is a crystal clear message of all our emotions towards the situation over at b2evo. If the other party replies back, then that's where the other party is happy, let them be. As the letter said, we're not looking for a war but rather a good co-existence where hopefully both projects can benefit. Which is, IMO, what FLOSS is all about.

Let's make it look more positive in the sense that, our fork is a sister project (tho it isn't). Like how WP and WP-Mu are. Again if the other party reacted, well, that's their problem not ours.

-- hehe, sorry, my CM PoV is kicking ;)
QuamPlures Template: Paninap Themes
Add me: Google+
Blogs: The Hæven of John; gameshogun
Laibcoms
Dracone

Postby Laibcoms » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:38 am

Here ^_^

------------------------------------------------------

Announcing Quam Plures!

Quam Plures is the latest (and can we say “greatest” too?) self-hosting blogging platform to be available on the market today. It is a fork of b2evolution, which in itself is a fork of the b2 (sometimes called b2blog or b2cafe) blog platform.

The Quam Plures core team recognizes the effort of Francois Planque and all the other developers behind b2evolution for keeping the b2 blog platform alive and continuously upgraded all throughout these years. Congratulations and a well deserved thanks to the b2evo team.

So what is Quam Plures other than the obvious?
“Quam Plures” (or simply “QP”) means “As many as possible” in Latin. It is a fork of b2evolution v3.3.3 licensed under GNU/GPL. More information can (soon be) found at http://quamplures.net or you can follow as http://identi.ca/quamplures.

What are the changes?
  • The Quam Plures core is slimmer which will make it much faster and less of hog on servers
  • It is modular – activate only the modules/features that you want
  • No hidden communication between you and the Quam Plures servers
  • Only one link going back to Quam Plures and that is not even mandatory! (But please do leave it intact, it is just one link!!)
  • A true FLOSS (Free/Libre Open-Source Software) project. We believe in transparency and user participation in the development of our product.

Who are we?
The core team currently consists of the following people:

And with that we all say: Welcome to Quam Plures, where {tagline here}!!

-------------------------------------------

Note: I'm thinking of breaking down the core team into roles "category".

EDIT / EdB: added my makemoney website
QuamPlures Template: Paninap Themes
Add me: Google+
Blogs: The Hæven of John; gameshogun
Laibcoms
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Okay that seems more upbeat. More "press release" if ya know what I mean.

I'd add a thing or two to the "what are the changes" section. Lemme scroll then type to make sure I'm getting it right...

* Something about more flexible (referencing how widgets are now as third-party friendly as plugins have been.
* Something about our intentions of showing designers how to write faster pages by using direct widget calls. This one speaks to lightening the owner's server load a wee bit ... and very much is an example of the last bullet item you've got there.

Maybe more but for now that's it and I want to do a merge thing so there you go. Gonna have to come back and provide a "why I forked it" blurb...
EdB
Dracone

Postby stk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:40 pm

I could see less homage to b2evo & the FG and a tad more expansion on "What are the improvements" ... I'm off this weekend on live fire training scenarios over on the mainland, but I'll whip something up early next week. (If I forget ... just remind me, as things are a tad hectic at the Hutton House atm.)
stk

Postby stk » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:43 pm

Oh ... I could see blog | twitter | facebook | IM contact icons for team members, if everyone agrees (or PM links for QP forums or something).
stk

Postby Yabs » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:54 pm

EdB wrote:* Something about more flexible (referencing how widgets are now as third-party friendly as plugins have been.

Not yet they're not, we still need to write a "widget manager", but at least we've done stage one ;)

@laibcoms && stk, cool, look forward to what you come up with between yah, my version was a tad sparse :D

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to We, Quam Plures