Support forums : We, Quam Plures

new name soon: davidryman

Were can you find us, what is registered in 'our' name

Moderator: Dracones

new name soon: davidryman

Postby EdB » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:55 am

Long story made short: David expressed an interest, I tried to warn him off, David is still interested. So when davidryman registers he is a real person who can be approved instead of a spammer who needs to be killed.

Short story made long
inbox wrote:I was looking at the Turing test for comments, ended up at your site, noticed back in 2007 you seemed to be frustrated and finished with B2E and looking to start something else. Also you are still using B2E. If you're taking b2e and running with it as per open source philosophy, I might be interested in assisting in some way.

outbox wrote:Out. Most assuredly, out of b2evo.

It was a great run though, and no doubt pretty smart software. My/our complaint with it is that Francois apparently lacks respect for users and their inputs and desires. He seems to have gone back to the "my app and you can use it if you want" mindset, which we just don't agree with. We think it is the installer's program that we just happen to be writing. So we're building a similar-yet-different application.

Some of what we've got done, though in truth we don't have an official product yet: (1) There is no footer spam. In fact there is only one linkback. Technically that isn't true if one counts links to manual pages, but footer spam, multiple links to the main domain, links in the syndication feed - all gone. (2) All templates (formerly skins) in the core product are built as if they were produced by someone else and freely shared. That means basically translations are supplied with each template. (3) Same applies to plugins: each has it's own localization package. (4) The 'autodocs' are maintained as an active part of maintaining the core files. (5) Widgets are now something folks can write and share instead of only coming from the core. BTW, a widget is basically a plugin that ONLY does something for the visible side. An example would be that we still have to turn the Calendar Plugin into a widget because it doesn't need the plugin manager. (6) The idea of simple/expert is gone - there is only what used to be 'expert'. (7) The left side of the 'write' page is wider, and TinyMCE has been overhauled a bit to take advantage of that. Also less options for the admin to pick from. (8) ... wow I should be able to think of more than 7 at this point but I can't. Oh yeah: (8) the installer lets you pick your login name and password immediately.

Help we need is everything :) If you're good with PHP stuff that'll be GREAT. If not then how about templates/skins stuff? We have a handful in the 'core' and I've been dragging 40 more along with the product just to have some range to offer folks when we finally reach "rev zero". Mostly though we need folks willing to commit gobs of time to the project. Grabbing branches from Launchpad and testing them, then providing feedback on what works and doesn't. A willingness to engage in (sometimes heated) discussion about the direction things will go in, and a willingness to 'disagree but commit' once we all seem to find common ground.

Huge amounts of time is critical though. Some folks have offered to test it out without realizing we can do that now. We need so much more than just testing is the thing. We need input and feedback about what works, what doesn't, where to go, what to not do. And we need help getting the code actually created.

Still interested? The way forward is for you to tell me a username you want, then I post on the forums to not delete you when you register, then I tell you to register with that name, then someone approves your registration and you're in.

Blue Skies, EdB

PS: Getting TuringTest upgraded and moved over to my new playground is on my near list of things to do. That and one of the captcha plugins because having only one antispam plugin is a bad idea.

PS2: (9) antispam central is gone, of course. The local blacklist exists, and one day we want to implement a "decentralized list sharing system" where for example your installation joins up with my group and we all share keywords we've banned.

PS3: (10) the idea of the product calling home with tons of server data just to see if there is an update is GONE! Spyware is simply not allowed.

inbox wrote:Ed,
Sounds interesting. Username is davidryman (as it is most places). I spend all day (most days) working on my site. Trying to 'brand' myself and building ad revenues through diverse content. B2E has some great features, which is why I use it :).

Not had a run in with Francois, but I get the picture.

I am currently building a skin for B2E (see it at davidryman.com, if you have time. I was fairly pleased with it), also built my own lightbox plugin, and scolling content widget. I had intended to just write content and build the sites exposure, but I got tired of not finding plugins that worked and couldn't find answers or up to date docs, so started writing my own stuff, again.

I am semi retired IT guy with over 30 years in IT. I'm kinda old school, not a lot in certification (only masters in AI), but still have talent somewhere, I understand the logic behind all things, I can pick up the syntax as I go along.

Hook me up, point me to the forum/project site, and I'll see how I can assist/get involved.

David
EdB
Dracone

Re: new name soon: davidryman

Postby Yabs » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 am

The more the merrier ;)

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby tilqi » Sat Mar 20, 2010 2:45 pm

good, hope he ll bring in some action, welcome in advance
tilqi

Postby davidryman » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm here... hmmm some familiar names I see.
Now I understand Yabba's reply on B2E
I'd kill trackbacks, and I'd probably listen to edb as well ;)

Guess I better start reading!
Standing on the shoulder of giants.
davidryman

Postby Yabs » Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Enjoy ;)

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:30 pm

davidryman wrote:...

Guess I better start reading!

er... you can probably skip the stuff where I rant like a little bitch about ... well ... just about everything ;)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:48 pm

So, just 2 worthwhile posts to read, your life just became easier :roll:

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Re: new name soon: davidryman Update

Postby davidryman » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:36 pm

Already had a Launchpad a/c, installed bzr, and downloaded code (sorry, got a branch (?)), uploaded to a test site, waiting for sub-domain to be created, then I'll install and see what we have. As a business partner said "let the dog see the rabbit".

As I have recently been working on my own b2evo skin, perhaps I can start with something on templates ?
Standing on the shoulder of giants.
davidryman

Postby Yabs » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:46 pm

Get stuck in, worst we can say is "that sucks big time dude" ;)

Ideal goal for templates is to reduce divitis, normalise (urm, reduce) classnames and to make them html 5 aware ... if they look great visually then that's a bonus :D

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Return to We, Quam Plures