Support forums : We, Quam Plures

Who is playing, who is working?

Were can you find us, what is registered in 'our' name

Moderator: Dracones

Who is playing, who is working?

Postby EdB » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:39 pm

The thing is it kinda looks like very few people are doing anything. So how about anyone actually working on stuff say what you're doing and when you're going to update anyone on the status?

I've got TinyMCE improved and waiting for core team to test and comment, trying to get "shared plugin fields" operational, ongoing commitment to autodocs (infrequent - based on watching core changes and simply deciding to do it), initial steps on standardizing readme files for plugins. Somewhere I even posted a list of what I think I need to do for v0.

And guess what. I really don't care about tinymce. I'd just as soon delete it as fix it, but THIS TEAM seems to think it is good so I worked on behalf of OUR product. Not mine. So let's start communicating status of projects, or don't be surprised when your login fails one day.

EDIT: if anyone who isn't busy on something wants to get busy on something, I got a little mission in mind. I've got 48 templates that would like to have a proper print.css file added. Fairly easy - select each template, do a 'file > print preview', then edit print.css so that the sidebar(s) is/are hidden from printing. That is about all it takes to wrap up that concept. Slightly related is the idea of an alt_tpl for printing, but that takes some php work to make the Item->print_button() and Blog->print_button() ... or maybe just Item->print_button() ?
EdB
Dracone

Re: Who is playing, who is working?

Postby tilqi » Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:25 pm

we can have an online workflow chart or sth like that maybe..does anyone know a good one ? every one updating what they are currently doing for qp, started what at when, finished when etc.. doesnt LP has such a thing ?
tilqi

Postby EdB » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:41 am

LP might in the 'blueprints' section but let me ask you this: why bother going there if no one is doing anything anyway? Look at the complete lack of activity in these forums. Look at the complete lack of activity on code review. Would a different method to track steps to code review somehow cause more participation?

tilqi you're on the core team ( https://launchpad.net/~quam-plures-core/+members ) yet - correct me if I'm wrong - you've never once taken part in code review. So if we used a different method to track work against goals would you then do code reviews? No offense intended there by the way. You contribute in dialog here, which is a heck of a lot more than the majority of "forum members" can say.

This is a closed community. Everyone here was invited by someone already here, yet 5 "members" haven't been here in over a month. 3 "members" haven't bothered with a single post, and one member has a grand total of 1 posts. I find that maddening beyond belief. I'd have no problem at all with dropping those "effectively inactive" accounts because let's face it: Quam Plures loses nothing by losing players who don't play.

As to a different model to track work against goals, I'm all for it as long as someone else does all the work up to showing me how it will simplify and/or enhance my ability to contribute to the project.
EdB
Dracone

Postby tilqi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:32 pm

EdB wrote:LP might in the 'blueprints' section but let me ask you this: why bother going there if no one is doing anything anyway? Look at the complete lack of activity in these forums. Look at the complete lack of activity on code review. Would a different method to track steps to code review somehow cause more participation?

i guess so, it may work better if it's fun, LP and bzr never looked fun to me.Btw i guess we should not be worrying / complaining about the lack of interest, as the project is not even public, but if you are talking about the contribution of the existing members, we may discuss that.From my POV, i cant really comment on code activity based on anything other than the notification mails i get through the lp subscriptiôn, so it would be wrong for me to comment on that, i am not good at coding, actually i am just taking baby steps these days, i hope i get better and be able to contribute in the code.

EdB wrote:tilqi you're on the core team ( https://launchpad.net/~quam-plures-core/+members ) yet - correct me if I'm wrong - you've never once taken part in code review. So if we used a different method to track work against goals would you then do code reviews? No offense intended there by the way. You contribute in dialog here, which is a heck of a lot more than the majority of "forum members" can say.

That's okay, nothing offensive about telling the truth allthough its widely known to hurt P: I'm well aware that i have not done anything yet.But i have -that i think- great design ideas for qp, but we also should all come to understand that everyone has a job to do in our personal lives, which wastes us by the time we get to home to do things we want -that may include playing wii, playing with plants, playing with qp whatever-.And i believe qp is not the only area for the most of us that we solely try to contribute.It's a matter of convenience and a bit of priority.

Another concern could be is it gonna worth it ? We are a handful of people here, in case of one or two departures, there's a good possibility that the project will sink, and we dont even know if the project is gonna be born dead.Despite of all these previous pesimistic comments, i gotta say those are only slight possibilities that we should keep in mind somewhere, otoh i see no reason to not to be optimistic about it either.

EdB wrote:This is a closed community. Everyone here was invited by someone already here, yet 5 "members" haven't been here in over a month. 3 "members" haven't bothered with a single post, and one member has a grand total of 1 posts. I find that maddening beyond belief. I'd have no problem at all with dropping those "effectively inactive" accounts because let's face it: Quam Plures loses nothing by losing players who don't play.

Yep, those are some ugly stats, but as i ve said, while keeping them in mind, we gotta keep looking on the bright side.Personally, I give my word to give my best to the project with my limited capabilities unless the project does not disappear into thin air before i can free up some time.

EdB wrote:As to a different model to track work against goals, I'm all for it as long as someone else does all the work up to showing me how it will simplify and/or enhance my ability to contribute to the project.

i believe LP is more like "XXX did this, YYY did that", but a workflow is more fun when it is "xxx is on this and that, just finished those, and thinking of postponing these and on to those... etc.." on the top of my head : http://teamlog.yootheme.com/images/stor ... nshot2.jpg http://teamlog.yootheme.com/images/stor ... nshot5.jpg

these sure look fun dont they...

BTW i would really like to hear what everyone has to say in the matter, EdB has some really solid points there
tilqi

Postby Tblue » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 pm

I was kind of busy the last weeks. I'm not that busy anymore (at the moment), so I can do more QP-related stuff now. Yay!
Tblue
Dracone

Postby tilqi » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:42 pm

On a semi releveant note, look at the closest example; i mean b2.Now, i dont want to keep making this comparison (like we used to do with wp), but these points will give you a good idea why we shouldnt worry that much.

You remember some days that went by even without one single post in b2 forums right ? especially recently.
And how many contributors does b2 have when you subtract the ones that transferred to qp ? not many obviously.
And b2 is nearly a decade old with thousands of members, whereas we had just got started.

Not to compare the projects or put them on a scale, but we should not miss the fact that wp has outrun all of his competitors,and despite of all its efforts, b2 has not covered the distance between at all.i hope we do, but it will really be a long, exhausting run if we want to, and things are not gonna happen overnight.we should be calm and do not give up
tilqi

Postby EdB » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:49 pm

I keep giving up, then giving up giving up - go figure.

My concern here is that we are a CLOSED COMMUNITY and too many people aren't playing. When we open the doors wide we will, of course, have non-players outnumber players. To have that now, to me, is disgraceful.

Anyway on code review, that is pretty much all you get - the email. The idea is to grab the branch, install it and test it. If the branch is about a bug fix it might be very hard to feel like you are testing the right things, but hey a test is better than none. One bug fix I was able to test nicely (I thought) was related to the navbar. All I did was install on localhost then visit it (and log in) on the 5 browsers I have here. The fix was good and all the browsers were equally good, so I commented "looks good" and approved it.

The big one I just did - plugins and locales and stuff - is a major piece of work. Tblue saw an obvious hole right away and we worked out a way to make it better. He probably didn't even install, but someone installing and testing while thinking about locales and plugins might have hit on the same issue. (It is on hold while I implement the fixes Tblue helped me learn how to do AND add the Turkish translation :) ) Anyway the thing is we need to do this stuff else we don't go forward.

TinyMCE I have no use for, but I tried to make it better. Yabs was the only commenter, and he chose to abstain. I know it is pretty good and works and all but I don't know if it is any good to someone else. It is really frustrating to go through all that effort on something other folks spoke highly of only to have NOTHING fed back when I asked to put my work on it into core.

Oh well. Rambling and ranting. Yuck. Gotta go learn what it means to "dress for success". Apparently it means more than clean underwear :(
EdB
Dracone

Return to We, Quam Plures