Support forums : We, Quam Plures

Don't delete Brad and Sheryl

Were can you find us, what is registered in 'our' name

Moderator: Dracones

Don't delete Brad and Sheryl

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:05 am

They just registered and got deleted ... I think. What I know is the email to activate them leads to "The requested user does not exist." I'm going to tell them to register again.
EdB
Dracone

Re: Don't delete Brad and Sheryl

Postby Yabs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:06 am

I think Toppie must have won the race, they'd gone before I had a chance to allow them ;)

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:14 am

I added Brad but don't have an email addy for Sheryl. Not sure which of the other 2 names on the original email is hers is the thing.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:22 am

Nothing in the database to help I'm afraid

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:25 pm

Got copied on Anne's email. Next time I'll post here BEFORE I invite someone. ... Like, tell someone to give me a username then post here about that username, then tell the person to go ahead and register. That way we will all have a notice about the occasional "real" person registering.

Won't happen often though. Brad included a very encouraging image is the thing :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Brad West » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:14 am

OK I'm in dam it!

Looks like there is some work to do to get up to speed here, plus I have a bunch of other stuff I'm working on.

No problem Just need to find most recent code and take a peek.

The internet world really needs an improvement in the blog realm.

I am going to do some reading. I have one question,

There are several people obesity working on this project, are you all focused on a specific goal as to what needs to be the best for this product?
In other words when Quam Plures is at the release stage (the advertisement for the lack of a better word) will read that "this, this, and this" are the advantages of including this great new product in your life.

Thanks
Brad
Thought I would pick an appropriate domain
So I stole Sheryl's http://judgmentalbitch.com/
Brad West

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:27 am

Most recent is always available via launchpad but I am now trying to keep the zip in my sigfile up to date.

The big goal right now is a "v0" thing, which is kinda summed up somewhere but basically "out with the evo junk/bloat and a nice new look". It is really hard to stay there though because often removing something means adding a replacement which induces another thing and another and so on. But basically I think what is happening is when someone gets an urge we go for it. Post in one of the forums for feedback and inputs first of course, but we're not focusing on any one aspect.

The advertising thing I don't think has really been nailed yet. Clearly our initial audience is evo users who are unhappy with some of the direction there (footer spam is long gone by the way), but even converting from that to this is not going to be easy. We have to build a converter for each version of that to this is the thing. I don't think anyone has gone there yet. Maybe Tblue is on it?

Hey if you have a "clean" evo database (meaning no self-induced table mods) then please make a dbase backup so's one day we can tear it to shreds in order to make a nice converter :)

Oh and "the best" is very hard to nail. We absolutely want to be user-driven. We're all users, so we all drive. My idea of "best" ... or Yabs' or Tblue's or anyone's - doesn't cut it. Consensus building is the only way forward. As you can imagine, it's a very slow process :(

So read through stuff and figure we're all just guessing so jump right in wherever you see fit.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Brad West » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:38 am

Ok this is a phpbb3, Lets kill your spam bots now.

This works and works well on our board.

Admin panel
General tab
down the left hand site under board config

Visual conformation settings "click"

Enable everything except "GD CAPTCHA foreground noise:" and "GD CAPTCHA wave distortion:"
GD CAPTCHA background noise x-axis: set this on 5
GD CAPTCHA background noise y-axis: set this on 7

Add 3D-noise objects: I have this on yes
I also use Default fonts

This has kept the spam bots from registering.
If there is still a problem you can lower the x and y axis numbers or turn on the wave distortion.

the only spam we get are live ones. takes allot of the work out of deleting the crap, one less thing to wordy about.
Brad West

Postby Brad West » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:23 am

Fantastic,

if anyone else has anything to say cool, I think I am getting a little better picture. I just wanted to know if there was a specific focus. I am hearing that the specific focus is building a real solid core to build on.

About the clean DB I will have to look I actually don't know what I have anymore. It's kind of sad but true.

Sheryl is napping right now but I'm sure she will have some great feed back also.

Kind of sad we sit 3 feet apart and communicate through SKYPE more than talk.
It does have it's up side some days.

Put the first site in my sig-line
Brad West

Postby EdB » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:29 am

Maybe you can help by doing an install without any content then creating a "sample" situation that helps people learn by seeing? That's what evo sort of went for, but it does bad things. Like, there is a cross-blog post but a raw install does not have cross posting enabled.

I was giving it a go earlier but immediately fell down a rathole of "gotta fix that ... and that ... and that" :(

What I'm thinking, aside from actually using the product to create the sample contents, is that instead of an installer that one by one fakes stuff instead we could just backup a 'sample' then sort of restore it upon installation. So all we need is a clean installation where someone actually blogs "first post" first ... and teaches stuff with each post.

Awesome domain name by the way :)

Oh if you do blog with it be aware ping-o-matic is still on by default.
EdB
Dracone

Next

Return to We, Quam Plures