Support forums : File Manager

html in a file's caption/description

This forum is for anything and everything that helps us get a handle on what is wrong with and where we want to go with "file manager".

Moderator: Dracones

html in a file's caption/description

Postby EdB » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:38 am

Doing &copy; worked but <br /> didn't. Whoda thunk it eh?

So ... should we be blocking html in a file's caption/description field? Title and alt-text yeah it makes sense, but to my mind if I want to do a BR or a STR I should be able to. Not that I want a quicktags toolbar back there although that would be awesome - just that do we want to block html or should we fix this?
EdB
Dracone

Re: html in a file's caption/description

Postby Kimberly » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:38 am

We need to think about any possible security issues this may create. I can not think of any at the moment; however, I don't really see why we would need to store html markup in the caption and description fields.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:57 am

I bumped into this because I wanted a line break, but can easily see where one might want to bold or underline or whatever. To me one of the cool bits about that stuff is using the caption/description as the post text. Write it once, be done with it. As it stands, and I didn't try it until the other day, we can't pretty it up at all.

Agree on security but I got this feeling someone with permission to upload media and/or edit the media's meta-data pretty much has whatever they need for getting in eh? Like, permission to be back there doing stuff :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:33 am

If you can add html, then you can include an id or class and use a span around the text to apply the style. or use an inline style for that matter.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:29 am

yup. basically we could do cool stuff within the cap/desc making it even easier to photoblog without actually hitting the write tab. I can sort of envision the page you get to edit a file's stuff having a toolbar of sorts to make it easier, though the boxes for initial upload would still look like they do now.

Hey in fact how about - bringing it out a level - the ability to control the id and class applied to the cap/desc itself? Like the way a widget will replace $wi_class$ with whatever you put in the widget's settings (assuming your template has it there to be replaced)? On a per-attached image basis somehow but I can't think of an easy interface right now. I can change the style for ALL attached image captions in my style sheet, but I can't change it for only one attached image is what I mean. I also can't do html in a caption which was my original gripe, but wow maybe tinkering with classes and ids is a good place to go?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:10 am

EdB wrote:I can change the style for ALL attached image captions in my style sheet, but I can't change it for only one attached image is what I mean.

An inline style will override the style sheet (the whole hierarchy thing)
Kimberly
Dracone

Return to File Manager