Support forums : File Manager

Embedded FM in Write Form

This forum is for anything and everything that helps us get a handle on what is wrong with and where we want to go with "file manager".

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Embedded FM in Write Form

Postby Kimberly » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:44 pm

leeturner wrote:Kimberly, are you still working on the embedded FM ?

L

It is currently implemented on my QP installation and I use it whenever I write posts and need to upload or insert images. I think Ed is correct, instead of adding all the bits and pieces to strip out parts of the view to make it fit in a narrow window (a lot of checks to see if it is the embedded file manger or the full file manager) I should have just put it at the bottom and let it go as wide as the width of the window. I am thinking of doing that. The way I did it was to use an iframe to hold the file manager and use the same code that we use to open it in a pop-up window. I also had to change the code a bit for inserting the images since it was not a separate window but a child/parent relationship of the same window. The only thing I see with it is that the drop down is a bit slow due to the number of files I have. I am now using folders to help better organise the files on the server.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:57 am

Ok, cool.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 pm

This is something that I want to return to.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:20 am

That would be cool :)

Plugin, or core feature? Core would be cool I think. In other words get rid of the stupid popup crap and just have the file manager handy. We'd put one of Yabs' little blue arrows on it to hide it for peeps that rarely use it eh?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:12 am

Having used it for writing blogs, I really do prefer it. With the pop-up; if I forgot and it was behind the editor window, I would hit the file button again which would reload the file manager and if I had uploaded files, then it was trying to hit the back button to get them back. The drawback, as I stated above, was that if you had a lot of files in your root file folder; then it was loading in all those thumbnails. I now tend to do more subfolders which reduces that hit. Even then I noticed only a little bit of resource hit in composing the blog; of course once all the thumbnails are in place that is over.

What I did was to simply load the file manage in an iframe; then change from a window to window exchange when inserting files to a parent-child exchange. Of course I did all that some time back and I may not have documented all I did :)
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:20 pm

admin already loads slow so I guess that's a hit we would just take ... although maybe image caching will help?

documentation can be catched up :) do you still have the files for it? if so we just figure out what branch or nightly snapshot you were working from and figure out the diffs. we can then turn it into a branch and get that updated to current core and figure out how to best implement after the monster branch. like maybe an iframe isn't needed? maybe we can just add it like another "thingie" on that page? plus documentation can happen :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 am

I am using it on my blog site running QP; so I can grab the files from there. I had computer problems and had to redo my computer since then; which I need to do again. Then I should be able to do a file compare to see which files I changed. I decided not to include the full file manager, so I did a lot of ifs to show only parts of the file manager. you have to be kind with my sloppy code work :oops:
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:22 am

EdB wrote:admin already loads slow so I guess that's a hit we would just take ... although maybe image caching will help

This would need some testing I think. Depends on the hit. I use the write screen far more than I use the file manager so anything more than a marginal hit would be a real pain in the ass for me.

Also, I think when we are talking about having to structure our files in a certain way because qp can't handle it one way due to a change we have made we need to think about whether this should go in the core just yet. Like Ed says, maybe image caching should be explored first or delayed loading of the file manager - as in it is only loaded when the user clicks on the little arrow to open it. That way a user could set it to be closed on load so it doesn't impact load times.

Like I said. It could all be a non issue but will need to be load tested in some way.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 am

The little arrow won't help. Just a javascript show/hide type of thing.

So now I'm thinking a couple of thoughts. First, celebrating one thousand six hundred days without drugs or alcohol by driving a wedding party to every bar they could name seems kinda odd in a way but hey that's life. Second, maybe this idea should go to plugin level, or even better go to an optional switch for each user. Install owner sets a master starting state, then each blogger says if they personally want the FM loading on the write page. If they say "no", then getting the FM would be weird. If we do away with the popup then we need to probably auto-save whatever they got and get them the FM in a box on the write page (at least this once) and reload their item ... assuming it had anything to save.

Side Note: the old issue about what happens when title is required but not supplied and we save and edit but I forget the details.

Anyway IF we bring it in once for them we also have a checkbox that says "always have this here" and it is checked or not depending on the install owner's master setting.

I do like the idea of ditching that stupid popup. I always thought of it in one of those jQuery-powered floaty-box things like I think we use on widgets somewhere, but I suck ass at doing anything with javascript, and jQuery is javascript on crack with a meth chaser. BUT having it as part of the write page sounded good until I just read this. Yeah blogging doesn't always mean images, so ...

Hey what about a FM that only loads the 10 newest items with a "get more" option? Too weird?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Our file manager in a pop-up window was the regular file manager just loaded in the window. Ed did some work at one time with some changes and then I think we reverted back. Here is the thing, my in-page file manager is still the same file manager; I did hide some bits using "ifs" that could be stripped out.

We did speak once of having the whole file manager as a plugin and that would allow different file managers. However, given the interactions of the file manager with creating posts and such, I am not so sure about this.

The easiest way to have users choosing if they want the file manager in a pop-up or embedded in the page should be a simple matter of checking their preferences. I did not rewrite the file manager, I simply removed the bit that loaded the file manager in a pop-up window and replace it with the iframe. The other part of this; as I said before, is changing the "insert" code from a window to window arrangement to a parent-child arrangement. So the switch needs to do two things, if the switch is on, then load in iframe and choose parent-child code; if not, then load in pop-up window and use window to window code (not sure the correct term for the window to window thingy) I know it involved files.class.php and files_list.php. and changes to the write form to remove the files button and add the iframe for the file manager.
Kimberly
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to File Manager