Support forums : File Manager

Embedded FM in Write Form

This forum is for anything and everything that helps us get a handle on what is wrong with and where we want to go with "file manager".

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Embedded FM in Write Form

Postby EdB » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:16 am

That's good news :) So the only thing we would add would be your way to get it into the write page and an option for each user to pick popup or inpage. Cool!
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:29 am

I'm cool with all that. Per user option is cool with me.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:27 am

Kimberly wrote: I also had to change the code a bit for inserting the images since it was not a separate window but a child/parent relationship of the same window.

Hi Kimberly. Could you post the bit of code you changed to sort out the parent child relationship. I have spent a few minutes playing with the file manager this morning and may have something worth pursuing. Not sure yet though. If I could steal that code then that would be great.

Cheers
Lee
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:02 pm

Let me try this; I had a redo of my computer and things are a mess. Let me download the whole files directory from my current website and you can then take a look at things. I will include the icons I made as well. I think I was/am using tables to insert the images. That social site really turned into more than I anticipated.

Oh, I also added a switch to the write form to either save or not save the current state of the sections being open or closed. I guess I need to include what I did with the write form as well.

Please note that the coding is messy; I hack at things. :oops:
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:20 pm

The naming convention when I did that is a bit messy as well. I now do .orig, .1, .2, .3 etc when I work on things. The final working script of course is the one with the file name xxxx.php. Sometimes I would add working, currently working etc; as I worked on changes and wanted to back up what was working before adding my feeble attempts at coding. Anyway, maybe with a comparison programme you can get something useful from it.

One thing I did not know how to do at the time was to include a javascript class that could be called; so you will see that the code actually generates the same javascript more than once to handle each new file uploaded. As I said, it is messy coding. I would be ashamed to show it but I am hoping it can prove useful in some way.
Attachments
embedded_file_manager.zip
(204.61 KiB) Downloaded 1565 times
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Did you code the embedded FM to also handle the link/attach files ?
leeturner
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:41 pm

So, I woke up the other day thinking about the embedded FM and was wondering why we don't just use the same method we used for the modal popup for the plugin help that I implemented way back in the day.

Spent a few minutes hacking and have a working prototype. I have only tested it with one use case and I am sure it doesn't work for attaching/linking files etc but it is a start. As before, the file manager is only loaded when the 'Files' button is clicked so there is no performance impact.

Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 19.34.55.png
Screen Shot 2013-03-11 at 19.34.55.png (213.95 KiB) Viewed 36364 times

Is this something to investigate further or do people prefer to have it permanently on the write screen ?
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:54 pm

leeturner wrote:Is this something to investigate further or do people prefer to have it permanently on the write screen ?

Absolutely!

To me this should be each blogger's choice: have the FM inline in the page knowing it's a bit of a performance hit, or having it be a floaty-box because you just don't use it that much. A floaty-box is WAY better than the stupid popup ever was :)

Don't widgets also use a floatybox as well? That might be a place to figure out how to get the attaching/linking stuff to work assuming it is based on similar stuff.

BTW I'd be one to pick stupid popup over inline because I don't use FM that much, even though I don't like the stupid popup because I keep either having to deal with it's existence in advance or realizing a few days later that damned thing is still open. Not advocating for the stupid popup - not at all. Just sayin' even though I see really good reason for having it inline, I also see reasons to not have it on the write page at all. A floatybox would be my bestest choice :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm

I did not look at that part of the code; the linking part; I could try linking to a file and see what happens.
I think true modal boxes are suppose to lock the underlying page from being accessed until you do whatever you are going to do in the modal; or click on close. The way I work, embedded in the page is the way to go.

The way I work is that I will often upload a couple of files after I start writing; so the embedded form keeps the newly uploaded files at the top of the manager ready for me to insert them when I am ready for them. I am guessing the modal might reload the file manager each time; which loses the benefit of my embedded manager.

As we discussed; having this as a choice for users would be nice; and it would be nice if it was a per-user choice and not a site wide choice. Although I don't know how much work that would be to incorporate.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 pm

OK, when I was trying to narrow the view of the browse mode, I remove the link icon. On uploading a pdf file, I get the "add a link to this file in your post" but it does not add the link. However, from the browse section of the embedded file manager, checking the file and pressing the go button does insert a link to the pdf file and the URL for the link is correct.

Ed mentioned to me that he probably would have left all the bits in and just made the embedded file manager full width; and I am thinking that would have been better; and easier.

It seems I need to work on the linking part some; it seems that I need to examine the upload section and correct the "add a link ..." part.
Kimberly
Dracone

Previous

Return to File Manager