Support forums : Permissions

another permissions problem

This forum is for anything and everything that helps us get a handle on what is wrong with and where we want to go with "permissions".

Moderator: Dracones

another permissions problem

Postby EdB » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:36 pm

I set up a new user with very little permissions. NO media perms, but guess what: they get a media/users folder created when they go to the Files tab. They can't upload to it, and in fact neither can I when I'm logged in as admin because user folders aren't available to other users (except via FTP of course).

So ... why does this user with no media permissions get a Files tab at all, and when they get there why does it create a folder for them? Seems like the permissions worked at the micro level but kinda didn't bother at the macro level.

No solution in mind. Just another in a long list of what we need to do to properly address user and group permissions.
EdB
Dracone

Re: another permissions problem

Postby leeturner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Perhaps we should be logging this in a central place like https://bugs.launchpad.net/quam-plures

Searching the forums for these things is going to be a real pita

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Same can be said for searching LP for bug reports, and good luck finding one that is closed.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:32 pm

Yeah, I agree. What is the lesser of two evils ? At least using QP might give us a fighting chance of finding them in the future. We also need a way to determine what has been fixed since the last release etc.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Yeah there's a lot to keep track of. Plus I just thought of this: I have no idea who gets to point this domain where, and how long Yabs' server(s) will stay online. Until those types of issues are answered we're at a huge risk of losing *everything* we have under this domain name, so for that reason maybe we should be using LP for all issues? Even though IMHO LP totally sucks ... at least it probably isn't going away anytime soon.

Meanwhile I'm thinking (again) of the forums layout. Right now I'm thinking of a new forum for "Permissions Stuff" to house all things related to permissions. Maybe kinda require using the stupid little thread icons to help say what something is?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:18 pm

Hm, well, a bug tracker is nice -- but granted, LP is not doing a very good job. Maybe we could set up our own bug tracker? There are some nice existing solutions for that (Flyspray, Bugzilla, MantisBT...). Using QP would be possible, too, but I don't know yet if that would be a good idea...

LP is nice for branches and translations, in my opinion. Okay, I know you don't like Bazaar, EdB. ;)

Domains and servers: YES! Very important! I already thought about this, but didn't get anywhere. Wasn't Scott yabs' business partner? Doesn't he have access to the domains and servers? Oh, wait, I think Topanga bought all the domains. Currently, we have .com, .net, .org and .be, I think... Seriously, we don't need all of them, do we? .com may come in handy in case we get commercial (selling plugins or something, I don't know), but to be honest, I don't see that happening any time soon. .org and .net seem pretty much interchangeable to me. I don't know what we could do with .be.

So, I have a server that we could use in case this one becomes unavailable. Good, it's not a fast one and I hope it will be able to handle the load; a bigger problem is the traffic. I have 200GB per month free and I currently I use 4 GB per month on average (spike: approx. 12 GB in January).

Anyway, as a student, I'm pretty much broke, so I couldn't pay for the domains. Just had to say that. :)

Permissions subforum: Go ahead, we will see how it performs...
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:38 pm

EdB, this may be a useful book for you: http://book.sourcegear.com/vcbe/request_book

I just ordered/requested one myself.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:42 pm

We really need to contact Scott to see what the situation is with the servers and whether we need to move the QP setup to different servers. Is Topanga still interested in QP does anyone know. If not then we should probably get the domains transferred over to one of us (perhaps not Tblue) :) I'll send a message to Scott on Facebook and Topanga on Twitter.

As for a different bug tracker to LP I don't really mind what it is so long as it isn't this forum :-) Might be a good idea to see what the answer is from Scott first with regards to the servers.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:32 pm

I can host a domain with whatever we need, but I'm month-to-month on everything so it is not a good idea to go where I am. If this home services thing works out then yay I'll live indoors for a while longer, but not smart to put our eggs in my basket right now.

As to a bug tracker, and anything else for that matter, forums suck for the same reason LP sucks which is the same reason QP itself would suck: without someone managing what is where it'll end up a big steaming pile of shit. For example is it a bug that I can't do something I want to do? Is it a bug that something that seems like it should be doing it isn't, but the code isn't failing? And who gets to put a bug report in place? I can say for a certainty that if we go with something like LP then regular people won't play. Too far outside most people's comfort zone is why. I mean ... well heck I bookmarked this for a reason: http://geekandpoke.typepad.com/geekandp ... rting.html

I'll play with whatever system we want to go with on the condition that all I have to do is use it. In other words, if anyone feels strongly enough to set up or select a different tool and is up for managing it and can give me dummy-level instructions about using it I'm totally there :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:16 am

Concerning the sites, website and forum, having access to back up the sites and database would be nice so if we are forced to move, we don't lose content and have to start over from the beginning.
Kimberly
Dracone

Return to Permissions