Support forums : QP runs what?

Almost ready for Prime Time

Post links to your QP installation(s) here, and maybe say what version or what special tricks you did to make it be what you wanted?

Re: Almost ready for Prime Time

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:08 pm

Kimberly wrote:Just visited and I saw the flashing bars thingy

Hooting! In a first draught message to Lee I called it that "Facebook flashing bar thingie"! Wish I'd not changed that :)

The bar thingie happens for me too regardless of Browser settings ... I think ... I'm also using Firefox with multiple User Profiles to test but the preferences should be global as I don't block js and only use a mild level popup blocker as most sites (like B2's forum) use a version of a popup to pass on messages to the user.

I wonder if there is an additional level to get through if one is a FB'er ... as in privacy and some fancypants jQ stuff because they've just rolled out their latest "upgrades" in an effort to be Google +
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:13 pm

I just opened up Opera, removed all FB cookies (though I didn't check for Zombie Cookies) and I can see all the comments!

So:

Comments are visible to me:
    Not logged in to FB at all
    Logged in on two FB profiles
    Logged in under a Yahoo Profile
    (Sorry I don't have an AOL ... Should I revive mine from 1992? :D )

Comments Not visible:
    Under one FB profile that had no friends -now it has one friend, it can see ALL the comments!

I'm tempted to say this is awkwardness/weirdness from FB itself.
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:15 pm

SusanG wrote:I'm tempted to say this is awkwardness/weirdness from FB itself.

Phew ;)
leeturner
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Kimberly wrote:I rather dislike the notion now that you have to log-in with some social account before leaving comments.

I do too. My pet peeve though is ... Google! It bothers me that we have given them so much power that they can actually dictate HOW we build a website! So much so, that I've kept my site in the Sandbox for a year! Everyone told me it wouldn't work ... However, I get search engine hits from people looking for ... me :)

My "First Post" is actually about how I came to build a blogging aspect on my site. Because I am tired of social networks squeezing me and my content into their tiny little boxes! Which is why I installed the OP and how I came to be here! WOOT!

So ...

leeturner wrote:At the moment, the plugin says "Hey, we have facebook comments here so don't display the QP comment form". I have been thinking about trying to make the plugin display both for people that want to allow non-facebook people to comment also. L

Will be a way to make it so that FB is not the center of the Universe (as it thinks/wants) but a tool to fulfill that promise they made to connect the web! They can just be a rather large planet with dodgy gravitational pull but we want to collect that gassy stuff without being sucked into its orbit ... Sorry! Had a Sci Fi moment :)
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:29 pm

FYI

I just deprecated the b2 version and have

Gone Live with QP http://susanglover.com/theprocess/

Better get some content in there ;)

Edit forgot to mention that the "old platform" install was getting link spam up to now ;)
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:11 pm

SusanG wrote:FYI

I just deprecated the b2 version and have

Gone Live with QP http://susanglover.com/theprocess/

Better get some content in there ;)

Edit forgot to mention that the "old platform" install was getting link spam up to now ;)

Excellent. Well done !!! It is really good to get another QP blog out there in the wild !

Just one thing, I didn't know if you were aware or not but the link to your blog on the homepage links to /theprocess/blog1.php instead of /theprocess/index.php and gets a 404

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:31 pm

I just saw that when I tried to reload the site and got that 404 :0

One more "change" to add to the list ;)

Thanks Lee, I hadn't thought to update that in the website!
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:13 pm

SusanG wrote:
Kimberly wrote:I rather dislike the notion now that you have to log-in with some social account before leaving comments.

I do too.

By the way, you might want to deprecate the Testing FB Comments as that shows on your front page; considering that you have gone live.

OK, I decided to disable AdBlock Plus so I could see your site with the comments section since it is blocked with AdBlock Plus; it shouldn't be, because you are not serving up adverts and you get the flashing bars thingy. Where is the flashing bars thingy coming from (have seen on other sites as well)? Anyway, I noticed that I can only leave comments if I am on one of the things listed in the dropdown. Limiting to social sites visitors only does not mean you won't get spam comments, or linkback comments, because I see them at sites that are restricting comments to social networks visitors. If this is an antibot thing, I have found the turing test does that and is not a hindrance to visitors as the CAPTCHA. Although I have been told that my very simple algebra test would limit some visitors from leaving comments. If a visitor can not calculate (2+3)*2, I am not sure I want them leaving a comment. :D As for the human spamming farms, they will have social networking accounts as well.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:15 pm

the flashing bar thing is probably facebook trying to get the goods. It'll last until it is done, which adblock meant forever.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:19 pm

Clicking play or pause on that blog radio thingy brings up a page with some stats count error.
Kimberly
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to QP runs what?