Support forums : QP runs what?

Almost ready for Prime Time

Post links to your QP installation(s) here, and maybe say what version or what special tricks you did to make it be what you wanted?

Almost ready for Prime Time

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:22 am

First, I want to say a big loud Thank You to all of you! An almost embarrassingly effusive one that is 100% appreciative!

Still a few things I want to tweak, need to tweak

Clean up my HTML for starters, come up with a better more logical <div> layout
figure out how to include my footer styling and content in the footer bar

Right now, I've just installed Lee's FaceBook plugin and it's very, very cool!!! http://susanglover.com/qp/index.php/201 ... b-comments

There are some hiccoughs but I think they may be related to my schizophrenic collection of multiple profiles.
Though I have some thoughts:

How do I remove or adjust the "No New Feedback" as according to QP, correctly there is no new feedback? I can completely remove the feedback section from the index.main.php but is that a good idea?

And how can we accommodate Users that do not have much to do with social networks -not like EdB at all :))
Only thoughts ... I am dead pleased with all of it!

Thank you Thank you Dracones -esses!!!
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Re: Almost ready for Prime Time

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:08 am

The file will be _item_feedback.inc.php and the usual and customary to protect changes when you upgrade is to pop that into your template if your template doesn't have one. The lines you care about for that particular bit will be
Code: Select all
   // still no title?
   if( empty($disp_title) )
   {
      $disp_title[] = T_('No feedback yet');
   }
You can delete it or customize it. If you delete it I suggest you also delete the next three lines. Four really.
   // show the title :)
   echo $params['before_section_title'];
   echo implode( ', ', $disp_title);
   echo $params['after_section_title'];

Oh and since that is apparently plugin-powered you might want to see what Lee can do about enabling something value-adding for that bit through the plugin. Dunno.

Also, the feed for the item comments is obviously bogus in that situation so again consider deleting
   // display link for comments feed?
   if( $Blog->get_setting( 'feed_content' ) != 'none' )
   {
      $Item->feedback_feed_link( '_rss2', '<div class="feedback_feed_msg"><p>', '</p></div>' );
   }

The problem with deleting (damn I shoulda thought before I typed) is that what happens for one happens for all. Therefore hopefully Lee will have a way to do something about those bits via the plugin. Unless all comments will be via facebook? Anyway those are the bits in the file that makes that page not be as smart as it should be, but they'll affect all permalink pages so edit knowing that.

I wonder if creating a post type and some logic (if post type is fb_comment then don't do that) is a good answer?
EdB
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:30 am

And gods help us if Facebook goes tits up as all the comments are stored in their database and served up from there :) I wonder if the FB OAuth is a way to go towards creating a more direct QP solution? http://developers.facebook.com/docs/authentication/ somewhere down the road?

But this is so freaking cool :)) Sorry! Had a moment there ...
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:45 am

another thought for down the road!

Lee, there is also an Admin and Moderator option within the FB Comments Plugin that would be useful to Blog owners as they can then have greater control of what remains visible. I believe it's a <META> reference that ties in the FB ID of the Moderator?

Edit Lee, that issue I had with comment visibility is because the test profile I used is not friends with anybody. Once I added myself as a friend I could see the other comments I had posted. I think that could be sorted via the Admin controls through the owner's Facebook profile http://developers.facebook.com/docs/ref ... /comments/
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:19 am

Just visited and I saw the flashing bars thingy that I see on some sites. I know why, it is my ad block. So, users with adblock on will not see the comments and my guess is that a lot will leave instead of turning off their ad blocker and reloading the page. Just thought I would point out the comment thingy you have is not compatible with adblock +. If you don't care, then it is not a problem :D
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:30 am

Hey what ad blocker are you using? First time I visited I figured I must be missing something due to the post here so I told NoScript it could allow facebook.net and I got the fb streaming unconsciousness, but without that javascript enabled all I saw was nothing.

Slightly related: this is why all javascript-powered content should come with a noscript to say what is missing. Too bad you can't tie a script to a noscript located elsewhere on the page eh? If you could then JS in the <head> could trigger noscripts in the body. Oh well eh?

Personally I tend to be in the group Kimberly describes - surfing away instead of enabling just to see, but for sites I like I add them to the whitelist. In this case it'd be tricky because fb.net is all about their ability to track you across the web. For some reason that bugs me so I tend to not allow it.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:59 am

@ EdB I use FireFox with AdBlock Plus to blog adverts. Yes, I know that some are trying to earn a few cents from adverts but I can not afford to buy anything so I would not click anyway. Mmm, that is a question, does adblock keep the ad views from happening since the code is in the page I am loading up?

I rather dislike the notion now that you have to log-in with some social account before leaving comments. It does not keep out spam because on one site that was forcing people to log-in to leave comments and someone had left some advert for those auction scamming sites. I guess if you get thousands of comments left on your site you don't want to bother with moderating comments. I am lucky if I get one comment.

I had a javascript blocker that allowed me to block certain javascript. However, I upgraded FF and had to remove it because it would not work any longer. Need to see about getting an upgrade because some sites have a thousand scripts running.

Edit I do use javascript. I used javascript combined with php to show or hide the comment form on a site.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:02 am

SusanG wrote:How do I remove or adjust the "No New Feedback" as according to QP, correctly there is no new feedback? I can completely remove the feedback section from the index.main.php but is that a good idea?

This is something I have thought about doing in the plugin for people who want an FB only solution. Unfortunately, we don't have an easy way for plugins to replace the comment system without users editing template files which is what I wanted to avoid.

SusanG wrote:And how can we accommodate Users that do not have much to do with social networks -not like EdB at all :))
Only thoughts ... I am dead pleased with all of it!

At the moment, the plugin says "Hey, we have facebook comments here so don't display the QP comment form". I have been thinking about trying to make the plugin display both for people that want to allow non-facebook people to comment also.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:06 am

SusanG wrote:another thought for down the road!

Lee, there is also an Admin and Moderator option within the FB Comments Plugin that would be useful to Blog owners as they can then have greater control of what remains visible. I believe it's a <META> reference that ties in the FB ID of the Moderator?

I'll get an option for the meta tag added to the settings and let you have an updated copy. You are a star tester !!!! :D

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:12 am

EdB wrote:Slightly related: this is why all javascript-powered content should come with a noscript to say what is missing. Too bad you can't tie a script to a noscript located elsewhere on the page eh? If you could then JS in the <head> could trigger noscripts in the body. Oh well eh?

Yeah, thats one of the big problems with facebook and other comment systems like disqus. I will look at trying to make the whole thing a little cleverer about no JS enabled etc.

One of the main benefits is that there is a viral nature of the comments if people post them to their profile as well. It can generate so nice exposure for people - especially if they already have a nice community on FB or something.

Anywhoooo, that's why this is a plugin so people can pick and choose :-D

L
leeturner
Dracone

Next

Return to QP runs what?