Support forums : QP runs what?

Almost ready for Prime Time

Post links to your QP installation(s) here, and maybe say what version or what special tricks you did to make it be what you wanted?

Re: Almost ready for Prime Time

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:50 pm

Kimberly wrote:Limiting to social sites visitors only does not mean you won't get spam comments, or linkback comments, because I see them at sites that are restricting comments to social networks visitors.

From the test I have seen by people who own pretty big blog networks, using facebook comments has greatly reduced spam. Bots are one thing but it is very cost effective to pay people oversees to back link via comment posts and forum posts so things like captcha and turin test just fall down at this point. Limiting to social platforms obviously doesn't solve the problem either but at the minute companies like Facebook can devote far more resources to killing fake profiles than we can to stopping spam comments.

Nothing is foolproof but at the moment it seems like people are far less likely to spam and far more likely to post constructive comments if it is attached to a social profile.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:51 pm

leeturner wrote:
Kimberly wrote:Limiting to social sites visitors only does not mean you won't get spam comments, or linkback comments, because I see them at sites that are restricting comments to social networks visitors.

From the test I have seen by people who own pretty big blog networks, using facebook comments has greatly reduced spam. Bots are one thing but it is very cost effective to pay people oversees to back link via comment posts and forum posts so things like captcha and turin test just fall down at this point. Limiting to social platforms obviously doesn't solve the problem either but at the minute companies like Facebook can devote far more resources to killing fake profiles than we can to stopping spam comments.

Nothing is foolproof but at the moment it seems like people are far less likely to spam and far more likely to post constructive comments if it is attached to a social profile.

L

That may be true. I have been on some large sites, sites such as AOL, big news sites (I am not going to bother to go hunt) and saw plenty of listings such as "I just brought an iPad for $20.00 at so and so action sites. There is just no way around humans sitting at a computer getting paid 50 cents a day using fake FB, AOL, Hotmail, etc. accounts except to moderate comments. Big sites could actually pay someone to do nothing all day but moderate comments; it only takes a few clicks to approve a comment. I think they don't because they are trying to have a real time comment system in place.

Susan herself said she did not like the idea of having to log on with some social account to leave comments. I could not leave a comment on her site because I am not on FB, AOL, Hotmail, or the others in the list. That leaves me out and anyone else that is not on a social site. I realise that is perfectly within the blog owner's right to not allow comments from people who are not on social networking sites such as I don't allow comments to be left by someone who can not answer my simple algebra test :) .

Some sites have a "website" listing that allows one to comment by leaving their website address; I assume the thinking here is that if someone has a website then they are either legit, or you can go over to their site and leave a nasty comment :) .

How difficult would it be to include moderated in the list? The thinking here is that I am not on a social network but I do want to leave a comment telling the owner that I loved their pasta recipe and that my family raved about it. With moderated, the owner would be informed that a moderated comment has been left for their review. Or will the plugin allow comments from within the QP system?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Back on topic, great looking template :)

There is something funny going on. Kimberly mentioned a list of possible logins that would allow commenting, but I didn't see them. So I figured I'd try it over in Chrome. I now see a "comment using..." dropdown. Didn't see it in FF due to that is the browser I'm logged in to facebook on. I'm guessing that comes from facebook? If so then it makes sense that they prioritize themselves and it might not be possible to add something for comment locally.

Yargh. By the way. Yargh (click)!
EdB
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:19 pm

You guys are a dream team :)

I was going to deprecate the Test Blog but I figured the only ones coming right now will be us and a few of my crazy friends that like to break stuff. (they call it beta testing humph!)

FB is going nuts right now and keeps logging me out. I'm sure it will all settle down (fingers crossed)

I did look at the Turing test (have CAPTCHA installed for the Forms as I'm more concerned about email spam happening to anyone that registers) but not sure what that would do to Lee's plugin.
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:24 pm

EdB wrote:Yargh. By the way. Yargh (click)!

can we have a Pirate Smiley :lol:

Edit and thank you! I'll clean it up, give it some luvverly MySpace Graphics and run it by you guys for a template submit (Dark and Light)
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:10 pm

Kimberly wrote:How difficult would it be to include moderated in the list? The thinking here is that I am not on a social network but I do want to leave a comment telling the owner that I loved their pasta recipe and that my family raved about it. With moderated, the owner would be informed that a moderated comment has been left for their review. Or will the plugin allow comments from within the QP system?

To be honest I haven't even gotten that far. The plugin isn't even finished yet - Susan just wanted to try it out on her site so I sent it across.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Right. Back again and catching up.

Kimberley has a point because I would love to have a comment from someone in the rest of the Universe and don't want to join in the strongarm push to make everyone use a "preferred" channel that was decided by someone else. However, services (and that's really what they are) like FaceBook do an amazing job of reducing comment spam, plus deliver realtime commenting in a one-stop process (well they do when their end is not freaking out over whether someone with multiple profiles is logged in, is not logged in, is ...)

Susan just wanted to try it out on her site so I sent it across.

and she's well psyched :)
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Previous

Return to QP runs what?