Support forums : QP runs what?

my current business venture

Post links to your QP installation(s) here, and maybe say what version or what special tricks you did to make it be what you wanted?

my current business venture

Postby EdB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:34 am

http://maricopasnowbirdservices.com/ is QP-powered. V000+branches. 2 things there that haven't been branched are the "Main" button as a menu widget option (heck I don't even have it in use as of this writing), and I use the long description for plugin credits text.

Most of what happens on that blog is behind the scenes. Clients sign up for having me watch their home when they're not here. Many Canadians have bought homes in my town is the thing. Anyway they sign up and they get a user account and a blog. They get perms in that blog. Groups 1 and 2 get perms in that blog, and all members of group 2 get perms in that blog. (Have I mentioned how perms really suck?). I'm also using the plugin to extend the profile page allowing for peeps to list important contact stuff like plumber and insurance agent. Lets see...

When I get clients I use their name and address as the blog name and tagline, so I use is_logged_in() to show or hide that detail. I figure if someone stumbles upon a randomly-generated stub file name they shouldn't also get someone's name and address eh? When I do a home inspection I print a checklist that the plugin makes, and take a few pics at the house. I then fill in the checklist online and upload the pics. Submitting that plugin-generated form creates a draft post with the report content filled in and the images attached, creates a matching PDF file with images in it, attaches the PDF to the blog post draft, then takes me to the draft in edit mode. If I like it I change the visibility to protected and save it, which triggers the plugin to send an email to the client saying "inspection done photos online".

Awesome plugin eh? Too bad it doesn't strut it's stuff publicly...
EdB
Dracone

Re: my current business venture

Postby leeturner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:35 pm

I have to say that this is an absolutely awesome use for QP. Sounds like pretty shit hot plugin as well !!!

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:36 pm

The primary plugin file has grown to over 4000 lines, and I decided to do if( condition ) { action; } instead of giving each { and } it's own line. Then there's the file to handle uploading images, the file to process them when the plugin needs them processed, the class for the PDF maker, the file that extends the PDF maker class, the file for the actual form itself, and maybe one or two more. Total bitch to debug, but pretty cool in the end.

Edit One thing we as a project need to seriously work on is emails not getting spam-trapped. The cause and solution are not miracles. In fact they're widely documented. Branching and doing something about it is unfortunately not something I've time for.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Any particular emails from QP getting spam trapped or just specific ones ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:54 am

Almost all are capable of getting blocked but it really depends on the spam trap.

Basically it goes like this: the email actually comes from the server, which means in the message header it has something like "foo.hostingcompany.com" BUT the "from" field says whoever it is we say it should say. Typically the contact/message sender is put into that field, but sometimes it is a default "quamplures@installation_domain.tld". In either case there is an obvious mis-match between who the email is "from" and where it is actually coming from, which is a very basic signature of a spammer. Thus it is likely to get spam-blocked.

The general solution is to put the correct bit for the actual sender in the "from" field, and use the "reply-to" field the way we currently use the "from" field. The drawbacks are I forget what, but the biggie for me is how to know what to put in the "from" field. Lemme see if I can find the sites I bookmarked about this ...

http://www.velvetblues.com/web-developm ... il-emails/ is the only one which is odd. Normally I make a folder of worthy pages. Anyway on that page item #2 is what I was just trying to say.
EdB
Dracone

Return to QP runs what?