Support forums : QP runs what?

Kimberly's Thoughts On Just About Everything

Post links to your QP installation(s) here, and maybe say what version or what special tricks you did to make it be what you wanted?

Kimberly's Thoughts On Just About Everything

Postby Kimberly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:46 am

My "Thoughts" blog is now running on Quam Plures, YAY! It is basically a three column layout, a left sidebar, a middle content area, and a right sidebar; it is based off of the old template when it was running on the other app. There is an additional container at the bottom as well as the menu and header containers. The blog does not use the built in menu system, instead the menu is created with the Free HTML widget. This allows graphics to be used for each menu item; basically allowing me to use a font in this instance for the menu without worrying if that font would be present on the visiting computer. There is a disadvantage in that menu items would not automatically be added, I have to create the buttons for the menu and then edit the Free HTML code but that is really not that big of an issue for me and I like the way I have complete control over the menu.

Two things that are not usually found in our built in templates, each blog post has the comments and feedback form at the end of the blog post. They are hidden from view and are shown by clicking on "Show Comments" and "Leave A Comment" link. The comments or form then drop down into view. This bit is controlled by javascript (and with CSS) and php. Basically the javascript toggles the hidden division on and off by changing the CSS and changing the text of the link; php is used to make sure that each blog post "comments" and "form" division is independent from the others. This is simply done by using the blog post item ID adding an extra bit to the form so it has a different id.

I still need to do some tweaks to the theme but it is ready for visitors and is live. You can visit it by going to http://thoughts.secretcorners.net/
Kimberly
Dracone

Re: Kimberly's Thoughts On Just About Everything

Postby EdB » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:05 pm

couple of randomly related thoughts ...

One day we need to get images for cats and blogs active so when doing a catlist or bloglist we could select "icon", but that aspect also reminds me of a convo with Yabs way back in the day. Sidebars probably change more frequently due to maybe having a post list or something with a random in them, but headers are generally the same content even with many posts happening. So wouldn't it be cool if we could tell a container "spit out my html as a file" so we could then do the html directly instead of server-side creation each page load? It'd be maintenance work for the owner when they did make a change in any given "staticized" container, but it'd be much easier on the server when they didn't.

The comments thing could become a problem in a couple of different ways. Imagine averaging 50 comments per item. All load but none show, so it appears to the visitor that the page itself is very slow. More importantly, but maybe not important to you, some hit tracking stuff is based off hitting a permalink page so your stats will look a little lower than they actually would be. I mean, in the old-school model someone had to hit the permalink to see the comments if that makes any sense.

Hey perhaps the "X comments" line should be your text for "show/hide" comments? Use the link's title to say that it is showing or hiding?

Looks good though :)
EdB
Dracone

Re: Kimberly's Thoughts On Just About Everything

Postby Kimberly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:41 pm

I took your advice on the show/hide comments link. I incorporated the "no comments" and " x comments" into the link that shows and hides the comments. If there are no comments, then no link is formed since it is not needed. Where there are comments, it states in the link "x comments - show". I pulled the rss feed for comments out of the hidden division so that visitors can subscribe to the comment feed for the post. The only thing that needs to be fixed is that when you click "hide comments" it doesn't revert back to "x comments - show" it reverts back to what is in the javascript for changing the text back. I need to pass the number of comments back to the javascript so it can add it but that is not easy since the same javascript is used for all the hidden divisions. It would have to know which particular division. Will have to think on the best way to handle that. It is not a big deal, just one of the little things.

Edit To see it in action, do a search on "8N Ford"
Kimberly
Dracone

Return to QP runs what?