Support forums : Feature Requests

More connectivity w/ Social Apps & Platforms

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

More connectivity w/ Social Apps & Platforms

Postby SusanG » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:40 pm

Some thumb twiddling while I wait for the DL of my original QP folder to happen:

Features:

FaceBook Connect *Absolutely a Must-have for me*

@Lee I saw you have this on your Hacking QP blog -did you use the FBConnect or the FB Comments Plugin, and ... Mother, may I have one too?)

Nested Comments *I know Yabba had a go at this for b2e3x, so it should be doable with QP?

ShareThis and OpenID

Personal Stuff (things I plan on including but with some usability for QP to attract new users - specifically photographers!)

jQ Lightbox plugin

I have some ideas for the PhotoBlog but need to spend more time with it to see what features it already has/needs.

BTW, what happened to the Messaging? Did you guys dump that from the core?

Right, that made the time fly. Back to converting to QP :)
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Re: More connectivity w/ Social Apps & Platforms

Postby leeturner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:47 pm

I built a plugin that uses the Facebook like and the Facebook comments plugin. At the moment it doesn't make use of Facebook connect. It isn't 100% finished so not formally released yet but I am happy for you to have a copy if you would like to help test it out.

I have a evo sharethis plugin somewhere that I can dig out and convert. Also there is an openid plugin for evo that we should be able to convert.

Is there a specific lightbox plugin you have in mind?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:28 pm

SusanG wrote:BTW, what happened to the Messaging? Did you guys dump that from the core?

I think messaging came in from evo 4.x and we forked at evo 3.3.3. Personally I was never convinced that this was needed for a blogging app and was just bloating up the core but I guess there are always going to be differing views.... which is kind of why we forked in the first place :-)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:41 pm

Absolutely whang it over my way :)) The plugin(s) that is. I have a copy of the ShareThis installed "elsewhere" (at what point do we stop the euphamism?)

The messaging thing is very interesting to me as I run an online community of several hundred photogs. We were the biggest photog community of MySpace till MySpace took their toys away. (15 -30k hits a week and over 700 active members) I figured out how to make Messaging work in b2 and then promptly disabled it as I'm not quite ready to deal with that flood. But yes, I can see why it was stripped. Just keeping it on the backburner in my brain.

Just installed your FancyBox. Very nice! I do like the fluid motion of the one I used plus it has a customisable css. Will zip and attach for you to look at.
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:52 pm

Nice one. Send me a link and I'll take a look at it.

Wow, sounds like you really do have an active community. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that the messaging thing is not useful in some situations. Just that it should be a plugin and not part of the core. If the core isn't flexible enough to manage a plugin like that then we can extend the core to be more flexible and have a better plugin architecture.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:08 pm

Well right now I've got over a hundred of them on Facebook and they're having a blast fighting over file formats, and film vs digital on an Event I run every month. It's good to blow off steam every once in awhile ;)

I've attached the lightbox plugin. I had it working -ish on b24 by planting the calls in the header and the function in a post. I included a no-conflict variable variable to get it working. However, it still buggered up the toolbar functionality :(
Attachments
jquery-lightbox-0.5.zip
(161.71 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:49 pm

Thanks for the file. I'll have a look at rolling it up in a plugin.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:34 am

Nested comments? Are nested comments replies to comments? If so, I have thought about it as well as it makes following comments easier.

Lee has a plugin for Fancybox lightbox that adds the Fancybox code. You then have to manually add the link around what you want to pop up in a lightbox. I started to work on a toolbar plugin for Fancybox that would add a toolbar to the write form for adding the fancybox links. Highlight the text or click on the image and click on the button for adding fancybox video, or image, or slideshow. I was trying to use a modal box and had a strange problem with it taking me back out of the write form to the dashboard. I stopped working on it.

I have some clients who can only use the TinyMCE editor, so I develop a Fancybox plugin for TinyMCE hacking one of the advance link plugin. You highlight the text, or click on the image and then click on the Fancybox icon and a dialogue box opens where you choose the type of Fancybox and you can then click on a file button (you have to add a file browser to TinyMCE as TinyMCE does not ship with one) and then can choose the file they want to open in a lightbox. It works really well except for one minor bug that I did not figure out; I need to get that one bug out and I can release it to the TinyMCE community as well as here. The bug is that if you place the cursor on a Fancybox link and click the Fancybox icon, it does not load in the link settings. Does not keep it from working. I need to see if the javascript experts here will take a look at the code for me; although I would like to solve it on my own.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:47 am

I think the jquery ligbtbox only does images; no mention at the site about doing anything else. You might be interested in looking at Fancybox. Fancybox supports more than just images. You can have videos to open in the lightbox, or websites, or images, or slideshows, One of the things I did with my TinyMCE plugin was to create the code to display youtube, or vimeo, or dailymnotion. Not flash because you can not just point to a flash file and play it. The others you can point to the file on the servers and have them open in the lightbox. If you want to play a flash file you are going to have to get a flash player and create the code on your web page manually.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:15 am

Kimberly wrote:Lee has a plugin for Fancybox lightbox that adds the Fancybox code. You then have to manually add the link around what you want to pop up in a lightbox.

While this is true out of the box, it can easily be changed. I did it this way originally mainly due to wanting to be a little more specific about what images had the lightbox on them. If you go into the plugin settings thought you can change the jQuery selector to something like:

Code: Select all
$("a[href$=.jpg],a[href$=.png],a[href$=.gif]").fancybox();

Which will apply fancybox to all hrefs the link to .gif, .png, or .jpg. Or something like this:

Code: Select all
$("a:has(img)").fancybox();

Which will apply it to all anchors that have contain img tags.

With these two examples it is more a fire and forget type of thing.

Edit Must remember to add these to the plugin docs

L
leeturner
Dracone

Next

Return to Feature Requests