Support forums : Feature Requests

Translations

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

Translations

Postby gcasanova » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:36 am

I wanted to help translating QP but there are so many files to translate which made me change my mind. There should be one main translation file that includes as much as possible and another file for plugins and so on. It wouldn't matter if it was necessary to update the translation files from time to time. But the process of translating should be a friendly process and at this time I don't find it so.
gcasanova

Re: Translations

Postby Tblue » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:35 pm

Well, we use Launchpad for translations: https://translations.launchpad.net/quam-plures

On the above page, just choose your language and you will see a list of translation templates. The first one is the biggest, it's the main translation file. The others are plugin/widget and template translation files.

Here's a guide to get you started with Launchpad translations: https://help.launchpad.net/Translations ... oTranslate
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:29 pm

I guess I could find the thread where we talked about it, but basically plugins and templates from outside the core didn't have a good model to follow for translations. So we kinda figured if all of them acted like they weren't core and got their own translation file then that'd kinda show the way for those who add templates or plugins.

The downside, as you've noted, it we got a lot of files for a translator to work on. As Tblue said, just start with the main or core file. You can do it via launchpad OR via POEDIT ... but I don't know how to get your work back in to LP after using POEDIT. Anyway after that you could pick a template or plugin that is important to you personally to get translated. Eventually it'll all get done :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:34 pm

Using Launchpad will probably be the best for now, although Poedit is more comfortable in my opinion; but at EdB said, working directly with the PO files is a little bit more complicated than using the web interface -- basically, you have to download it from Launchpad (there's a link to do that on each translation page, i. e. where the strings and their translations show up), then edit it using Poedit and finally upload it to Launchpad again (a link to do that can also be found on each translation page).
Tblue
Dracone

Return to Feature Requests