Support forums : Feature Requests

Blog settings for twitter plugin

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Blog settings for twitter plugin

Postby Kimberly » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:08 am

I want to do more. I promised that I would make a more splashy website that would say "hey, look at how wonderful Quam Plures is" and I promised to work some on the documentation and work on plugins and such. I think a lot of it is that the depression I went through after Mum's death is not completely gone. If I get started I can work long hours into the night. It is the getting started part that I find so hard. All I have done today, outside post some comments here was to work a bit on trying to get my car running again. I do want to be a productive member of this team.

I have set up the Quam Plures PayPal account. I will need to verify the account; so the limit is lifted because PayPal's limit is for life, once reach that is it until you get verified.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Sorry folks but (obviously) it get pissed from time to time at all the stupid we keep. Those get_manual_links() should have gone away if no one was going to actually write them but that got shot down. So now we have links that a new user might actually find helpful and they find crap instead. It'd be better if those links didn't even exist.

Or hey how about we structure the forums to align with the top-level links across admin and point all those "manual" links at the appropriate forum? Oh wait: nobody seems interested in someone else (me) redoing the forum structure because ... hell I don't even know why.

Doesn't matter. I've almost got this plugin pinging a user twitter account AND a blog twitter account. Assuming that works then adding a third twitter account for the app itself should be a no-brainer except I don't have 3 twitter accounts to waste effort on. Then adding in nice fancy logical controls will be a snap. First ping only, first 2 pings only, ping up to three? If one or two do we start from the app and work our way to the user, or the other way around?
EdB
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Hi Guys, QP is settling in very nicely.

I came here to read as I'm still having issues with the Twitter Plugin. The account is synced, and it says it's sent to my account when I publish. But ... ZIP! Jury's still out as to maybe it's Twitter itself as things have been twitchy over there. No BD, but will post for support if it [doesn't] happen on the next post.

So, documentation :)) If I can help with the no brainer User stuff, the offer is there.

Edit No brainer as in writing it because I sure as Hell don't know enough to figure it out on my own but can take bits and pieces thrown at me and string them into a sentence

P.S. I wrote my very first PHP include to add content into the BODY and edited the html header ... and it worked :) I know it's puny but ... :D
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:37 pm

EdB wrote:Those get_manual_links() should have gone away if no one was going to actually write them but that got shot down. So now we have links that a new user might actually find helpful and they find crap instead. It'd be better if those links didn't even exist.?

I still disagree on this one. Documentation is still on the cards to do just like a lot of other stuff - making tags be per blog, adding some tag management features etc etc Doesn't mean we should remove tags until we get round to those changes. The manual links were a good idea and a good change. We just need to get to the documentation. Not everyone has loads of time on their hands to do this stuff. We will get to it in time.

If it is such a big deal for you then why don't we just remove the option to turn them on so no one will see the manual links in the admin? Doesn't solve the documentation issue but it might help if you have an issue with it.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:37 pm

Well let's get one thing at a time. You installed the twitter plugin, it made a table, you went to your Tools->Twitter keys page and got your installation seen as an application by twitter, you copy/pasted the important bits back to your Tools->Twitter keys page. Must be good up to there because I'm pretty sure it won't let you connect a user to a twitter account if you don't.

So on your profile page you clicked the button for connecting twitter, it went to twitter and asked if you want to trust the application (which you created above), and you told it yeah sure, and it came back and showed you are connected to that account.

On your Blog settings->Plugin settings page you scrolled down and checked the box for "ping twitter"?

The offer to help I'll take up in a PM with you in a few moments. Or wait I dunno. Something though.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:40 pm

leeturner wrote:
EdB wrote:... If it is such a big deal for you then why don't we just remove the option to turn them on so no one will see the manual links in the admin? Doesn't solve the documentation issue but it might help if you have an issue with it.

L

That has already been done :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:43 pm

Oh, cool. Which branch was that ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:58 pm

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~quam-plure ... ision/7619

It always takes me stumbling and guessing to find the list of all releases. Anyway 8/31 was the merge date, I still have no clue how to find anything other than that though.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:02 pm

OK, so we will add that back in when we have some docs then ?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 pm

My view would be not until we have a useful online manual, but hey anyone can turn it on in their installation and anyone can do a branch to turn it back on by default.
EdB
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests