Support forums : Feature Requests

Blog settings for twitter plugin

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

Blog settings for twitter plugin

Postby Yabs » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:04 pm

With a tad of luck we're gonna be having various people working on different bits of whichever blog runs whichever bit of QP. It'd be kinda neat not to have to give all those people the login credentials to @qp on twitter, blog settings for the plugin would cure that.

To make those settings a smidge more useful to the rest of the world it also needs "blog settings take priority", "user settings take priority", "use both [ie/ send 2 tweets] if available", "disable for this blog"

Good news is, this isn't a 0.0.0 request ;)

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Re: Blog settings for twitter plugin

Postby EdB » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:37 pm

not sure I follow. each blogger on an installation that has twitter plugin running needs to authenticate their account to the installation's registration.

Oh I see. Tweeting as if each author was the theoretical tweeter named "qp" or whatever. That way tweets from docs comes from a master account instead of each individual. So top of my head and having just covered 1087.6 miles I'm thinking per blog and per installation get an "also tweet from" account that someone has to authenticate (or whatever they call it). If the per-install is set then that becomes the per blog, which could then be deleted or replaced. And actually a per-blog option would be on/off at the installation owner's decree via a checkbox type of thing.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:09 am

Pretty much yeah.

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:11 am

Glad I bookmarked this. Today it dawned on me that a while ago I learned if you post an attached image with no text - just the caption text - then the tweet is just a permalink. So today I was thinking it'd be hard to figure out exactly which text to put in there except for the title if there is one. OTOH "if no item content and attached image then use caption" doesn't sound too bad but what if there are multiple attached images? Maybe just use the first? But what if there is no caption and all the groovy coolness is in the image and/or alt text?

Anyway an empty tweet when the item actually has content doesn't seem right. So 2 things to get done on this plugin.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:53 pm

After registering the installation as an application, Plugin Settings would be

"enable installation twitter account" as a checkbox. If checked the next 3 options become active:
"tweet from" for an installation-level twitter account
"account status" would be just like each blogger's user setting
"message format" would be just like each blogger's user setting

AND
"enable a twitter account for each blog" as a checkbox. If checked the same options above need to be on a per-blog basis.

AND
"tweet from" as a dropdown:
- ONLY the Installation's account
- ONLY the Blog's account
- blogger then blog then installation depending on which one is 'happy' status first
- installation then blog then blogger depending on which one is 'happy' status first
- ALL accounts that have a 'happy' status

Does this sound like it covers what we want now and reasonably realistic installation needs out there in the wilds?

BTW defaults will be to not have an installation or per-blog account, meaning defaults will be to figure on not having a per-install or per-blog twitter account.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:48 pm

They sound close enough ;)

¥

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:56 pm

Going through watched topics, this one is kinda old. Gonna finally work on it. https://code.launchpad.net/~edb/quam-pl ... e_accounts
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:59 pm

Got an issue I'd like to bring up before I pick one and have to explain it later.

When a plugin pings the expectation in send_outbound_pings() and xmlrpc_displayresult() is that any given plugin is going to do a single ping, but this plugin will have to do up to 3 pings in order to tweet to multiple accounts. The idea being I might want the plugin to tweet for the author and the blog and the app itself.

I'm not sure what the best way to handle this will be now that I look at it a bit. I thought doing something like
Code: Select all
if( $params['xmlrpcresp'] is an array )
{
foreach( bit-in-the-array as a-string )
{
do the pinging stuff
}
}
else
{
do the pinging stuff
}
would be fairly easy. Basically make core able to handle multiple pings from one plugin in order to dial up one plugin.

I just now thought that MAYBE it should be 3 different plugins, but that means more work for the installation owner and a really ugly interface due to each would need to duplicate the bulk of what the other is doing.

Anyway I'm open to ideas and have to go see if maybe changing a fuel pump will fix that POS truck out there.
Edit Never mind. I'll just tweet however many times it needs and slowly build the response before returning out of the plugin. So the screen after the fact would say something like "pinging twitter ... posted to @foo and @bar and @yo-mama"
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:06 am

SusanG wrote:...
Edit Forgot! I synced the Twitter Plugin with my account. Says it's linked but ... it's not Tweeting. I looked at the advanced stuff, rendering was set to never but I don't know what the Hell Rendering means because when I clicked on the little Help thing it landed on ... Dunno. foo?

Quote is from elsewhere ;)

So yeah this is another issue with twitter that I also bumped into. And it needs fixin'. I've got it able to connect to an account for the application (which means the app isn't far behind), but it did not tweet twice. Once to the author, said it tweeted to the blog's account, did not tweet to the blog's account.

BUT on the issue quoted above, "renderer" converts something in the item to something else. Like how :) becomes :) for example. The problem above is that even when the installation is seen as an application by twitter (you save your keys via your Tools -> Twitter Keys page), pinging is still not enabled. This seems like an easy fix in that all I really need to do is remind folks "make sure your blog settings are set to ping twitter for this to actually work". I can't do slash won't try anything on each user's profile because how many blogs and bloggers is a complete unknown. BUT on the write page when showing if you are connected or not I can easily figure out if you are connected but this blog is not set to ping, so I can then say that. Thus at the moment of creation of an item you would have a note saying something is wrong in the multiverse.

Off topic "Dunno. Foo?" is a symptom of too many great ideas that no one carries through on. Personally I say we get rid of the "blue double page link to the online manual" but that idea was not popular. Instead we were to keep it even though NO ONE has committed any content there other than me. Those "dunno" pages and the "lorem ipsum" pages are nothing but placeholders so you don't get a 404 page. 60 posts in that blog, which means 60 items created ensuring that the links you might find in your blog point to the right place, and maybe 5 of them have any content. ALL of them were created by me, and my idea was to chuck the whole damned thing! The people who thought it should stay? I have no idea why they don't go generate some content there. Maybe because it's a lot easier to say "we should have this and someone should do that" than to actually do the thing. Not that it pisses me off and puts me in a rant mode mind you. Nope. Not all all. Just flexing the fingers a bit. I'm actually in a good mood because I just got reminded of a way to make the twitter plugin more betterer and it is an improvement I know I can do something about, and I just got a phone call from an lady-friend from days gone by who only called because she is out of work and was going through her phone looking for someone who might talk to her because honestly she's a bit of a crazy BUT she was nice to know in many regards and it is kinda nice to find she didn't delete me from her phone even though I deleted her from mine a long time ago. Yup. I'm in a good mood :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:11 pm

Nice to see you're feeling good. ;)

So. Documentation. The bane of every (open source) project.

We definitely need to do something about that, but as you said, I guess the problem is that nobody wants to do it! While we developers already know how to use the app, we know that we should have documentation as well and so we say "Yeah, documentation... Good idea. Uh, look, let's talk about it later, okay?". ;)

Coding is SO much more fun than writing documentation.
Tblue
Dracone

Next

Return to Feature Requests