Support forums : Feature Requests

Blog settings for twitter plugin

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Blog settings for twitter plugin

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:52 am

http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/is ... ail?id=669
Sledgehammer it. Delete the app, delete the plugin, make sure it all goes away, start over.

Summary: creating a read-only then turning it into a read-write doesn't change the deal made with users who authorized read-only AND it seems nothing ever will.
EdB
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:10 pm

erm ... I'm not sure if it's only me but ... I look suspiciously like Ed in my reply above?
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:15 pm

EdB wrote:http://code.google.com/p/twitter-api/issues/detail?id=669
Sledgehammer it. Delete the app, delete the plugin, make sure it all goes away, start over.

Summary: creating a read-only then turning it into a read-write doesn't change the deal made with users who authorized read-only AND it seems nothing ever will.

Ah ... that invalidates my reply to you where I look just like you! I think I know how that happened. Will PM you on that issue. Not that I mind looking like you ... much :D

Edit DOH! Sent you PM. Get it now. Breathing fire is a dodgy thing when you don't know you can!
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:16 pm

On first installing the plugin your Tools -> Twitter keys page contains instructions for filling in their form, but it does not even try to 'create an application at twitter' for you. Twitter doesn't want that. So all it does is step you through the process, including "it will be read only so make it be read write". After you copy/paste the 2 or 3 things back over you don't need those steps so you don't see them anymore.

Off topic Actually it's on topic to get back to next gen twitter but whatever. I may have found a way to have the plugin actually drop authorization for a user, and since "connect to another account" doesn't actually enable anything I'm figuring once you are connected you will have the account identified (like now) with a link to drop it like a hot potato with herpes. That link will revoke app access and drop the keys from the table.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:17 pm

SusanG wrote:erm ... I'm not sure if it's only me but ... I look suspiciously like Ed in my reply above?

Took me a moment to figure out what you were on about there :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:29 pm

WOOT! We have LiftOff!!!

Steps Taken:

Deleted App in Twitter

Wiped out Keys in QP/TOOLS/TWITTER KEYS: This didn't removed the data from the database but I decided to wing it and see if it would work as the Twitter Keys Page had defaulted to the default Install Info.

Started over: This took me to a screen in my Twitter account that mirrored the instruction in the QP Twitter Keys page - DON'T BOTHER FILLING THIS IN! Twitter asks you to sign in to the Developer area and you have to do it all over. And it's different!

The first screen asks for the app name etc. but gives no option to choose the RW permissions. By default Twitter sets the oauth to READ ONLY in the next screen. You also have the option to generate the ACCESS TOKEN - but I read that it would reflect the current settings which were ... READ ONLY! Bloody Hell! So ...

Changed the oauth to Read and Write in SETTINGS. Made sure it was changed and reflected in DETAILS.

THEN created the Access Token. Which now had the proper permissions. Went back to QP/TOOLS/TWITTER KEYS and followed instructions.

Tested with a stupid tweet (as if that never happens) and ... It Worked!

(TIP: Do not close the window in the Twitter Dev area as you will be cut-n-pasting the Keys from there into QP ... and no I didn't close my window but it could happen. Just saying)
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Postby SusanG » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:34 pm

EdB wrote:On first installing the plugin your Tools -> Twitter keys page contains instructions for filling in their form, but it does not even try to 'create an application at twitter' for you.

In doing it again, I could see what I thought was the "filling in for me" bit. That is the screen that I suggest one ignores or fills in scantily as Twitter itself ignores it. And it is Twitter itself that provides it. Bit of a timewaster :)
say goodnight Gracie!
SusanG
Dracone

Previous

Return to Feature Requests