Support forums : Feature Requests

Include Gray in formatting buttons

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

Include Gray in formatting buttons

Postby gcasanova » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:57 pm

May be silly but gray is a color needed when text needs to be camouflaged (like the small print in most contracts). Why don't you add it to the colors already printed.
gcasanova

Re: Include Gray in formatting buttons

Postby Afwas » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:31 pm

Afwas
Dracone

Shades of grey

Postby Kimberly » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:29 pm

Ah, but what particular shade of grey? This had me thinking of having a little colour pop-up quick-tag where you can slide around and have the colour number generated and inserted for you. That would be a neat little quick-tag colour thingy to have in QP.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:38 pm

grey or gray? OMG we need some sort of locale thing to handle such complex issues! Oh wait maybe not cuz whether you do color:grey or color:gray you get #808080 :)

I went with ROYGBIV so long ago because it was much easier than deciding what colors would or would not be there. Gray and/or grey is cool I guess. However the plugin version needs incrementing and the readme needs to reflect the change. Untested at this point - just looking at code.

The color popup selector thing would be way cool. Kinda like what you get when you hit the "font colour" button in this forum eh? I'd be surprised if jQuery doesn't have something in it already but I'm certainly not the guy to try to figure it out and make it happen in a plugin.

Off topic There is a .red in one of the base style sheets. Maybe a .green as well. I kinda actually think the 17 named colors could/should be added there then removed from this plugin, but never felt motivated enough to go into style sheets for something that trivial.

Off topic hm! Looks like I used #ABCDEF for the style sheet in that thing. I wonder why? AND it looks like when black and white got added we didn't change the comment above them ... and they went in using color names. Double-hm!
EdB
Dracone

Postby Afwas » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:49 pm

Grey according to HTML specs also color not colour. I tested the thing. Updating version is a good idea.

@kimberly: Grey did spit out some grey and I used that.
I looked at a jQuery colorpicker http://www.eyecon.ro/colorpicker/ Looks fairly easy to implement.
Afwas
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 pm

oops. I guess technically if we want to use "color:grey;" then we should use "color:gray;" as that was the spelling back when there were only 16 named colors. http://www.december.com/html/spec/color16.html or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors ... olor_names
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:53 pm

EdB
Dracone

Postby Afwas » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 am

Changed grey to gray, bumped plugin version. Thanks EdB
Afwas
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:31 am

Will grab and test, though honestly this feels like just looking should be good enough.

Wow having the little popup color picker would be cool. Good thing there ain't no limit on how many times a plugin can be rev'd up eh?
EdB
Dracone

Postby Afwas » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:30 am

I have a fully functional colorpicker ready. Just for the fun of it a screenshot:

I got the picker fairly easy implemented but it was some issue to not have it pop up while closing the tag. BTW in the background you can see several tags.
I won't release today or tomorrow. I made some poor decisions (colorpicker is now in /qp_rsc/js and -I think- would be better in the plugin folder.) Also I have '9' hardcoded for the position of the colorpicker in the second bar. Not really an issue, but I'm trying to pass the varable i so it can go anywhere in any bar.

The colorpicker has one disadvantage: it needs a starting color (some blue in the picture). So basically you'd want several colorpickers, one on each basic color. So, things to play with before I release. I can change the skin of the colorpicker. It's black now. Will find some gr[e|a]y.
Afwas
Dracone

Next

Return to Feature Requests