Support forums : Feature Requests

Changes to photo uploading --> overwriting

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

Changes to photo uploading --> overwriting

Postby jen » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:32 pm

I wish that we could easily overwrite photos. Meaning currently in b2evo 2.4.7 when I want to re-upload a photo (say, because I made it smaller) I have to delete the photos first, then upload them. If you try to upload them without deleting the original photos, you get an error saying the photos already exist. Which is fine, except it should also say "Do you want to overwrite these photos?" and then let you overwrite them.
My blog homepage: Jen's Daily Blather
jen

Re: Changes to photo uploading --> overwriting

Postby EdB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:41 pm

Thanks for reminding me :(

This has been a bug to me ever since forever. Yeah thanks for letting me know I already have that filename in use, but how about "tough do it anyway"? Probably really have to be an on/off option for Someone Very Important to decide about so that in a multiblogger environment your not wiping out my photos because you wanted to use a name I already used but that's just tons of detail and logic and logistics behind a fairly simple thing: upload the damned file.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:47 pm

If the user has perms to delete images in /media/blogs/foo then "overwrite y/n", just like ftp software would offer you, is kinda a minimum expectation.

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:30 pm

Was thinking we could apply the same rules to anything in 'shared' but it looks like media doesn't have a 'delete' section. upload, read, write which I don't really understand the human-friendly equivalents of. Well I guess upload is obvious and maybe write is for like creating a few file or folder? But read seems strange unless that applies to "is the user allowed to click a link that would open this .txt or .jpg in a popup"?

Anyway with the way perms are tied tween groups & users and how that info is in the database it seems to me a best answer here is gonna have to be after v0. Short-term perhaps we could use "can they edit/delete someone else's posts in this blog" and simply not allow over-writing images in shared or templates? For users media the test would be can they edit/delete their own posts.

In other words instead of looking for media perms that don't really cover editing and/or deleting, go with post perms. For now.
EdB
Dracone

Return to Feature Requests