Support forums : Feature Requests

Some things that a basic user wants.

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Some things that a basic user wants.

Postby jen » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:20 pm

What can you guys offer for hosting? I've been extremely happy with my host for the past 9 years. Of course they aren't perfect (see above), but I'm on a first-name basis with one of the techs and when I wanted to move companies for more space (at the same price) they increased my storage (at no cost) to keep me. And I hate change. :)
My blog homepage: Jen's Daily Blather
jen

Postby jen » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:16 pm

I am getting an .evocache folder read/write error, which I assume is due to my "stupid" host. :) I vaguely recall the same thing happening when I first started b2evo, but hell if I can remember what I did to fix it. FIXED IT.

Here's where I'm playing: http://www.hudson2001.com/quamplures/blog1.php

Anyway, my first few comments.
  1. I like that the link is easy--no index.php in the middle of it. Is that a new QP thing, or do I have my b2evo set up wonky? That whole blog name/short name/URL/stub thing still frazzles me.
  2. I like that the admin is a lot like b2evo--I don't feel as lost as I would changing to a new system.
  3. Blog B link http://templates.quamplures.net/ doesn't work. I assume you know, but am mentioning it just in case.
  4. I want Post Type = Sticky. Or is that a "Featured" post? Okay, I tested it and it is a sticky. Maybe add Featured to Post Type? Or call it Sticky? I know Sticky. Featured confused me. Of course I can learn to live with it... but why have Featured on the side, but not in the drop down list?
  5. I miss my checkboxes for categories, with the extra search features...someone (I'd have to go back and look) wrote two widgets for me (Before Categories and After Categories/This widget creates a submit button for the Categories widget. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out any of my blogs.
  6. I'd like to see Captcha Images included for antispam. I used the turing test for a bit but then it stopped working. I've had much better luck with Captcha.
  7. I like the star ratings plugin as well. Not that my blog posts every really get them (or high ratings for that matter, lol) but I do like the option.
  8. I uploaded some photos. I like the options for left/center/right.
  9. I noticed that with the quick upload, the filename becomes the caption, but if you upload via advanced, there is a Caption box that becomes the caption. Is there any way around this? At first glance, I missed the <div class="image_legend"> so maybe it should be called <div class="image_caption">? For morons people like me who aren't up with the lingo. :|
  10. I like the recent photos widget. How long does it take for new photos to be added? I added photos but they aren't in the widget. Or is it just a matter of something in the test code?
  11. I wish the install was smart enough to move pics to a newly-named media folder...but I guess that's impossible since the img codes would have to be changed as well. (I just changed Blog A to QPFTW and it created the directory but the new dir is empty. No biggie in a test install but maybe a note on the Blog Settings page would be nice ("You won't lose your photos, but they will not move to the new directory." I can see newbies being completely freaked that they lost all their pics because they changed the name.
  12. Drag and drop widgets. I am in heaven.

Okay, gotta get my kid a snack. But I am enjoying it so far, with the basic playing I have done...
jen

Postby EdB » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:10 pm

jen wrote:I am getting an .evocache folder read/write error, which I assume is due to my "stupid" host. :) I vaguely recall the same thing happening when I first started b2evo, but hell if I can remember what I did to fix it. FIXED IT.
The next problem and a pointer to the solution should go in the note when the "we can't write the config file" note shows up. Can you document your solution?

jen wrote:I like that the link is easy--no index.php in the middle of it.
Either a change from 247->333 or something wonky in your 247. I've seen wonked up URLs and never understood why people made them be that way.

jen wrote:I like that the admin is a lot like b2evo
It'll change more over time. For now it is reasonably similar look with less whitespace, no images used to style it up, and a heck of a lot less subtabs.

jen wrote:Blog B link http://templates.quamplures.net/ doesn't work.
Dunno what you're talking about.

jen wrote:I want Post Type = Sticky. Or is that a "Featured" post? Okay, I tested it and it is a sticky. Maybe add Featured to Post Type? Or call it Sticky? I know Sticky. Featured confused me. Of course I can learn to live with it... but why have Featured on the side, but not in the drop down list?
Good catch. There are quite a few instances where a term is used here but not there. Needs to be consistent else it adds to the confusion of what all these terms mean.

jen wrote:I miss my checkboxes for categories, with the extra search features
Agreed. No one has found that level of detail to be high enough up there to warrant working on it though.

jen wrote:I'd like to see Captcha Images included for antispam.
I thought we had that one. Yeah it needs to come back even though it is anti-visitor.

jen wrote:I like the star ratings plugin as well.
That's an evo-thing. Not a plugin though - it's in the core and can be used or not depending on the template.

jen wrote:I uploaded some photos. I like the options for left/center/right.
That's a QP thing. It even works with captions :)

jen wrote:I noticed that with the quick upload, the filename becomes the caption, but if you upload via advanced, there is a Caption box that becomes the caption. Is there any way around this? At first glance, I missed the <div class="image_legend"> so maybe it should be called <div class="image_caption">?
It will also auto-create captions if you turn on advanced features on the upload tab. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=458 Renaming could be done but it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other which term will make sense to people. Anyway probably an easy fix but not really up there ya know? Actually, compatibility with existing evo installs that upgrade means that content is already in their database so changing it now means tweaking their database or carrying legacy styles from day one. So maybe that makes it a higher priority?

jen wrote:I like the recent photos widget.
No idea how it works. It's an evo-thing. It probably has settings that don't make sense. Or it doesn't. Or it has something to do with which directory it is looking in for images and isn't telling you that.

jen wrote:I wish the install was smart enough to move pics to a newly-named media folder...but I guess that's impossible since the img codes would have to be changed as well. (I just changed Blog A to QPFTW and it created the directory but the new dir is empty. No biggie in a test install but maybe a note on the Blog Settings page would be nice ("You won't lose your photos, but they will not move to the new directory." I can see newbies being completely freaked that they lost all their pics because they changed the name.
I think it catches up to itself eventually. Not sure, will test. Possibly something to do with clearing the cache? Anyway yeah I noticed stuff like that and kinda think it eventually figures it out.

jen wrote:Drag and drop widgets. I am in heaven.
Another evo-thing. We kinda want to add a note to the widget page saying "drag and drop FTW" or summat so's folks don't have to just guess at that method.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:01 am

EdB wrote:
jen wrote:I wish the install was smart enough to move pics to a newly-named media folder...
I think it catches up to itself eventually. Not sure, will test. Possibly something to do with clearing the cache?

Okay it doesn't. You simply lose what you uploaded although technically it is all still there. Inserted images will depend on them being there, so moving them is not a good idea. Copying them to a new path means possibly a lot of useless duplication of files.

I'm thinking (a) this is a pretty significant bug-like issue and (b) the solution is easy but complicated. Instead of naming the folders after either the blog or the user we could name the folders by ID. So instead of getting a and admin we would get blog_1 and user_1, or possibly even better just id_1 because each would be in it's own parent folder that identifies if it is blog or user. The complicated part is to then make the interface say the friendly term instead of the geeky one.

Oh and this too means migrator compatibility is a bitch. We would have to look at each folder in media/blogs and media/users and then find the appropriate ID and rename the folder, then see if there are any posts that reference the user/blog name and replace those refs with the ID. Not impossible, but not fun either.
EdB
Dracone

Postby jen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:21 am

EdB wrote:
jen wrote:I am getting an .evocache folder read/write error, which I assume is due to my "stupid" host. :) I vaguely recall the same thing happening when I first started b2evo, but hell if I can remember what I did to fix it. FIXED IT.
The next problem and a pointer to the solution should go in the note when the "we can't write the config file" note shows up. Can you document your solution?

SOLUTION: Using FileZilla, I changed the File Attributes of the media folder to include Write for everything (Owner, Group, and Public permissions), including "Recurse into all subdirectories." I have no idea if the three categories of directories should be 777 but for now, it works. (I'm thinking some shouldn't have the Execute property, but that was actually checked as a default...) I know little about that stuff, but it looked familiar so I tried it and that was it.

EdB wrote:
jen wrote:I like that the link is easy--no index.php in the middle of it.
Either a change from 247->333 or something wonky in your 247. I've seen wonked up URLs and never understood why people made them be that way.

I didn't do anything strange that I remember. I named my blogs and left things as default for naming. I can't even find where to change it (I know it's there--I've seen it!--but hell if I can find it).

EdB wrote:
jen wrote:Blog B link http://templates.quamplures.net/ doesn't work.
Dunno what you're talking about.

On the sample Blog B (http://www.hudson2001.com/quamplures/blog2.php) the first sample post is About templates... and there is a link to http://templates.quamplures.net/ -
You can download additional template from the templates site. To install them, unzip them in the /blogs/qp_templates directory, then go to General Settings > Templates in the admin interface and click on "Install new".

EdB wrote:
jen wrote:I miss my checkboxes for categories, with the extra search features
Agreed. No one has found that level of detail to be high enough up there to warrant working on it though.

This is how I search for posts most of the time (since I don't trust the search to work). I can't imagine not having it.

EdB wrote:
jen wrote:I like the recent photos widget.
No idea how it works. It's an evo-thing. It probably has settings that don't make sense. Or it doesn't. Or it has something to do with which directory it is looking in for images and isn't telling you that.

I tried messing with a few settings I found, but it hasn't seemed to work yet.
jen

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:30 am

Okay yeah the 777 thing. My new favorite dead horse to whip is that QP shouldn't even install if it can't write files because if it can't then you gotta CHMOD stuff to wide open, which is a security risk. Ask your host why you don't have SuPHP available - it fixes that problem.

We'll have to do something about that link. That came about by replacing "skins" with "templates". It's fixable, most likely by making that URL actually exist and do something :)

On the issue of renaming your blog (or user) means you lose stuff, try this: upload something then change your username. Then change a different user to your old username. Guess who gets the original pictures... I have no doubt the same would happen if you create a new blog and call it 'a' - it would then get the files that used to be long to 'a'.

Back on the "featured post" thing: I'm still not sure what that is all about. The area in the sidebar with a checkbox is ... I dunno what.
EdB
Dracone

Postby jen » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:53 am

EdB wrote:Okay yeah the 777 thing. My new favorite dead horse to whip is that QP shouldn't even install if it can't write files because if it can't then you gotta CHMOD stuff to wide open, which is a security risk. Ask your host why you don't have SuPHP available - it fixes that problem.

Back on the "featured post" thing: I'm still not sure what that is all about. The area in the sidebar with a checkbox is ... I dunno what.

Will do.

The sidebox area with check mark does make it a sticky post. Or are you just contemplating the possible changes...?
jen

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:14 am

jen wrote:The sidebox area with check mark does make it a sticky post. Or are you just contemplating the possible changes...?

A little bit of both.

After reading that it makes a sticky out of a post I figured I'd aggregate everything into one blog and see what I got. "Featured" is very much like a sticky as long as there isn't an "intro" to display. In the default template anyway. On the main page of blog #1 you get the "Main Intro post" post up top, but on every other page you get the "About templates..." post in that spot. You also get the "Featured post" post if you click on the "Welcome" category.

So "featured" is sticky only if we are displaying a traditional multi-post page. If there is any other filtering going on then "featured" is ignored and an appropriate "intro" post is used instead. I don't know what happens if you have a filter of some sort and there isn't anything in particular to display. Will it use the featured item? Your guess is as good as mine...

At one point, and I think it needs to be addressed, but not for v0, we discussed different mechanisms around who can make featured or intro posts. Currently if you have multiple bloggers in one blog then each can select "intro" and so forth, but only the most recent will be used in that capacity.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:07 am

jen wrote:What can you guys offer for hosting? I've been extremely happy with my host for the past 9 years. Of course they aren't perfect (see above), but I'm on a first-name basis with one of the techs and when I wanted to move companies for more space (at the same price) they increased my storage (at no cost) to keep me. And I hate change. :)

EdB wrote:Okay yeah the 777 thing. My new favorite dead horse to whip is that QP shouldn't even install if it can't write files because if it can't then you gotta CHMOD stuff to wide open, which is a security risk. Ask your host why you don't have SuPHP available - it fixes that problem.

Pretty damn sure I could wipe the floor with your current hosting package ;) but all our servers are in the UK which isn't the best place if you have a mainly USA audience ;)

Get your host to make the change that EdB mentioned and your life will be far easier/secure ;) At least you're running a decent version of php ;)

I've not played with the recent photos widget, bet it uses attached images ;)

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:02 am

Just committed my last change to the sample posts (for the day - not forever) and came back here, then tested this. Yes: it pulls from attached images to posts in the specified blog. And the posts have to be Published - drafts and protecteds don't work.

I also need to go back to that widget and put a dividing line between the normal and geeky stuff. "Below here doesn't matter unless it all makes sense to you". Putting all those in there was one of the ways the componentwidget::init thing got reduced from a metric shitton to a standard shedload. Oh and figure out why there is a text box with no label or note or purpose ;)
EdB
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests