Support forums : Feature Requests

Some things that a basic user wants.

Now that you've read stuff first and introduced yourself, the next thing you'll probably want to do is say what you want Quam Plures to have and do. So here ya go: A feature request forum!

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Some things that a basic user wants.

Postby BushLeagueCritic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 pm

jen wrote:I'd like to see Captcha Images included for antispam
EdB wrote:I thought we had that one. Yeah it needs to come back even though it is anti-visitor.

I've got blueyed's Captcha plugin (v 2.03) ported for Quam Plures. It's working for me, if anyone's interested. I didn't want to step on any toes, since I thought I remember seeing him contributing here, somewhere. ;)

I've also got a very simple avatar plugin (comments only) pretty much ready. It might be attractive to the "one user...one blog" kind of user who's not really looking for a full blown avatar solution (posts, categories, users, etc). Gravatars only. If the user is registered with gravatar.com, they'll get their regular avatar. If not it will show unique Identicons, MonsterID's or Wavatars based on configurable plugin settings.

Can I attach plugins here, or do I need to use my own hosting? I don't really want to create a new branch for just a couple of plugins. ;)
Last edited by BushLeagueCritic on Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BushLeagueCritic

Postby Yabs » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Pretty sure blueyed won't mind ;)

Guess the real question is, should it ship with the core?

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:36 pm

BushLeagueCritic wrote:Can I attach plugins here, or do I need to use my own hosting? I don't really want to create a new branch for just a couple of plugins. ;)

We've done branches for a couple of lines :)

I'd say make one branch for each until we have a home for plugins. That way if we want captcha in core it's just a merge, and I'd like to check out the avatars thing and maybe make it use the new sharedpluginfields. Also all plugins are installed by default so check out one of the files in the /qp_install/ folder. As a branch we can mark them 'mature' but not merge them so they're not lost ya know?

Avatars that use a file_ID for the avatar are something we have to be ready for migrators with, so that'd be cool if it is an option in there.

Oh and start a new thread for each of 'em. That way the branch description can be a link to the forum thread.
EdB
Dracone

Postby BushLeagueCritic » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:47 pm

EdB wrote:I'd say make one branch for each until we have a home for plugins.

I'll give it a shot. Wish me luck! ;)

EdB wrote:Oh and start a new thread for each of 'em. That way the branch description can be a link to the forum thread.

That may be testing my Launchpad skills, as they stand now. :shock:
BushLeagueCritic

Postby EdB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:53 pm

It sucks, but it can be memorized. Do you have pageant and a key and bazaar? Are you a cli guy or a gui guy?

BASICALLY I right-click inside my "QP Branches" folder and select "Bazaar checkout/branch...". In the "branch source" field I select "lp:quam-plures" but if you don't have that you'll have to type it in. Then in the "local directory" field I change the last bit to be the name I want for my new branch. In this case I'd use "captcha_plugin" for one and "avatars_in_comments" for the other. Somewhat descriptive eh?

Anyway lots has been written on this, including tons of ranting by yours truly cuz I honestly hate this shit, so rather than write it all again lemme know where you're at (especially cli or gui) and I'll see if I can help (but really only if you prefer gui).

Doing the forum thread is easy eh? I try to put a link to the branch in the opening of the thread, then put the link to the thread in the branch description. You gotta get the branch and "push" it to the server first, so one thing at a time eh?
EdB
Dracone

Postby BushLeagueCritic » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:54 am

EdB wrote:It sucks, but it can be memorized. Do you have pageant and a key and bazaar? Are you a cli guy or a gui guy?

I think I'm figuring it out. But I'm all bazaar, openssh and a bash shell, baby. :lol:
BushLeagueCritic

Postby Kimberly » Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:57 pm

EdB wrote:
jen wrote:
  1. Easier photo manipulation/options. It would be neat to offer auto resizing for the chosen template...

You will have to upload to the server, but once there auto-resizing per template already exists. The bummer is you can't float a resized image left or right conveniently. Actually, doing that sucks ass. I have an idea for a solution, but not time to work on it. One idea is to always provide easy access to a resized image as soon as it is uploaded. So for example you upload a photo called "blueberry_muffin.jpg" that happens to be 2048 pixels wide. You also told your installation that you always want a 320 wide available, so as soon as it uploads you get "blueberry_muffin.jpg" and "blueberry_muffin_fit-320.jpg" in your file manager. Floating an image implies that there will be space available alongside the image eh? Your template might already resize to 400 wide if you use the "attach image" feature, so it seems reasonable to me that your floatable copy is smaller. I also thought of a dropdown to select the resize it makes, but didn't think of making multiple resizes for every upload

One of the things that is very popular with web 2.0 is the use of light boxes for displaying images; and now for any other content, where the image is loaded in an overlay on top of the current page view. My preference at the moment for this is fancy box (http://fancybox.net/) and I have used it at one of my b2evo blogs. Fancy box can be used for anything, forms, logins, text, video, webpages, whatever content you want to overlay over the current page. Normally one would create two images, a small version and a larger or full scale version. The small version is what is placed in the post, and then surrounded with a link (with the fancybox bits included) so when a reader clicks on the small image it opens up in a lightbox overlaid on top of the regular post page.

A lot of people are now using images directly from a digital camera, or from a dump of their digital camera photos. These images can be quite large so it would be a nice feature for a user to be able to upload an image taken with their digital camera, and probably rotate as I saw some images the other day on a web page that were sideways, create a small image that fits the page layout, and then create the larger image for the fancy box (or other light box system) at the size needed. Then the user would have the option of adding the fancy box link to open the larger image in a lightbox, or not adding the fancy box link.

I know this is a bit to ask for at this stage, but would be a nice feature to include at some future time.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:09 pm

Actually it would be AWESOME if you could add it. Or lightbox. Either way, it is a great effect.

I added an option to make images link to a resized popup box, so that ought to show a bit of a trail for how to get a fancybox/lightbox option as well? You can check it out in your template by making $Item->images( array() ) have 'image_link_to' => 'fit-NNN' in it where NNN is one of the resizes available. Up to 800, step down in 40 px increments. So 'fit-720' is valid.

I always hated that a resized image by default links to the original but have no skilz to make a lightbox/fancybox thing happen. But I figured if a link can make a popup and an image can be resized then maybe a linked image can make a popup with a resized image? :lol:

Oh snap I forgot linkage. http://docs.quamplures.net/templates/tu ... nfo.images and now I don't like the "chasing params" thing even though I thought it was cute but it leads to http://docs.quamplures.net/items/Item.h ... get_images which in turn leads to http://docs.quamplures.net/__filesource ... html#a1999 which now seems kinda cumbersome. Gonna have to rethink everything again re autodocs.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:11 pm

Here is fancy box running on b2evo 3.3.2.hacked. http://garden.secretcorners.net/2010/07 ... randiflora (that is my garden blog). That was done by adding the javascript for fancy box to the template and then creating the two images in my photo editor, one 475px and the other 800px wide. Then I added the fancy box link around the image by hand. Some kind of plugin would be nice. Fancy box can also load a text file stored on the server so that if you want to have a pop-up box with additional information on a word in your post, the user would click on the word, and get a bit more information without leaving the page.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Yabs » Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:29 am

Call me biased but I prefer my own version ;) @link clicky it also degrades without js to showing the full size image in my skin ( it's still running evo )

I also have an image editor plugin that allows resize/crop/rotate/flip either from the FM or from inside my gallery plugin when you're setting up a gallery.

Both would take a fair bit of recoding to bring them into the QP world and to make them a smidge less geeky as they written just to suit *my* needs ;)

I'm still toying with the idea of "attached posts" for building galleries/albums though as they let you have all the abilities of a post on a per image basis, bit like the photoblog could have been, if it'd been implemented better.

Anyway, all of that is a v0+ thing for me, I've far more important things to spend my coding time on for v0 to become a reality, but I will be dong something with them after that as *I* need it ;)

¥
I may have opened the door but you entered of your own free will

Image Techno Babble II
Image Tacky Pad 3
Yabs
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests