Support forums : The Future

antispam / need a cool name

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

antispam / need a cool name

Postby EdB » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:43 pm

Here is where I am going, and this will be fully back-portable to QP1 (QP proper?). The antispam table will carry new fields:
  • date entered
  • date last seen
  • source (comment, referer, typed in, shared, core)
  • was it shortened (only if source is referer or comment)
  • #comments purged/blocked
  • #referer hits purged/blocked
That is enough info to tell me if maybe a keyword can be purged from the list or not. For example a keyword was active for 3 months and blocked 100 items, but hasn't been active for over 6 months now. I'd say purge it. OTOH a keyword that has been in the database for a year and active up to a month ago but only blocked 10 things?

"core" will be the default value and the value for everything currently in the tables. We do nothing with that info right now so no biggie to lump them all into a useless grouping eh?

"Shared" is the interesting part. I do not want to make an antispam central type of thing, but I do want a way where installations can share info about keywords they banned. Sharing would only be if the source is comment or referer (which is when you click the ban symbol by the way), or something you got from someone else. We would share keyword, was it shortened, date, #comments, and #referers. If my domain teams up with your domain then we would share info about keywords that came from the ban symbol (source = comment or referer). We would share the keyword, the date, and the comments/referers purged & blocked. When one of us gets keywords from the other we either accept it or reject it. If we accept it then it is added to our keyword list and can be acted on like all other keywords.

This is all behind the scenes via a cron job. If you get something shared to you then you get an email that prompts you to hit the back office and add or reject the new keywords. When you add stuff via the ban symbol it automagically gets added to the list of things to share with others, who can then add or reject as they see fit.

I'm thinking of limiting how many people you can share with, which would make this feature kinda like a terrorist cell structure: I have my 5 friends, and each of them has 4 other friends, and so on and so on. This way approval is up to the installation owner - nobody else gets to say who is or isn't playing. Alternatively, make it like an old-fashioned webring thing where you join the ring and share with a wider audience. Problem is then someone has to "own" the ring, which means each installation owner loses control over that tiny aspect of their domain, which means I make a frowny-face. So I am seriously leaning on the terrorist cell model.

Anyway here's where the name comes in. I have no idea what to call a feature like this. It is not "antispam central" because there is no "central" involved. QP/QP5 could fade into oblivion and domains using this feature would still be able to act. "Antispam Jihad" is probably gonna raise some eyebrows (not that anyone would notice because those types like to wear dark sunglasses even though they work in a windowless room in a secure office complex in Langley Virginia), and maybe piss off some other people (who probably need to be pissed off until their hearts explode from stress before their bomb-vests explode in a crowded supermarket).

So anyway a cool name that sums up the model and purpose would be nice :)
EdB
Dracone

Re: antispam / need a cool name

Postby leeturner » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:16 pm

This sounds kind of cool. Kind of like a distributed antispam

Or an antispam torrent

Or something :-)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:27 pm

The date information is going to be a real help. As I have been working to fight spam, I often don't have the date data to help me. I see I have some bot that has been in the site 100 times. When? When was the last time it was seen? That can help me know how effective my antispam is working.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:30 pm

The name thing ; ??
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:09 pm

The feature will be called "distributed antispam", and up until exactly this moment I planned on groups of domains being called "cells". Right now I'm thinking "clusters". hm!
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:12 pm

Clusters is a good word for them. We can then refer to them a 'total cluster fucks'.......

Not sure where I heard that phrase but it fits really well :D

L
leeturner
Dracone

Return to The Future