Support forums : The Future

revs and releases

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: revs and releases

Postby leeturner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 pm

EdB wrote:One other thing we'll have to do is figure out what changes we will make to the contributors list. I mean, it can easily be part of any major or minor, but should probably not be just an lpv ya know? I say we leave Yabs on pretty much forever, but let's face it: there are many people linked on that file who simply don't contribute anymore. And we have new players contributing!

Yabs should definitely stay on there forever as one of the founding members of the project. I am not sure what will be happening to his websites over time but if they ever disappear then we should create a space on QP.net for him and link to that from the contributors page.

I might be wrong but I had in the back of my head that the contributors file would contain the people who had contributed to that particular release. So basically, if I don't do anything for the next 4 months (if this is our release schedule) then I get dropped from the list. If I then start to contribute again, I get added back on ? Obviously, contribute doesn't only mean code changes here.

If we only ever add to the list it will get really long and unmanageable in the future. There are 13 people currently on the list and I am sure a few could be dropped as we released 0.0.0 in Jan 2011 and some people on the list haven't been active on the forums since 2010.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:09 pm

EdB, looks fine. Well, security issues should always trigger at least a minor release, in my opinion. On the other hand, it makes sense "collecting" them and releasing an update that fixes several issues and not only one. Then again, there might be vulnerabilities that are so serious that they should trigger an immediate release. Okay, let's say we don't sanitize input somewhere -- then it depends where that bug is located: Is it in the frontend, accessible by anybody? No doubt, immediately publish a (minor) release. Is it in the backend, only accessible by, let's say, administrators? That can probably wait after having been carefully examined and evaluated.

leeturner wrote:We should definitely do a 1.0 release next and as soon as possible.

+1

leeturner wrote:Yabs should definitely stay on there forever as one of the founding members of the project. I am not sure what will be happening to his websites over time but if they ever disappear then we should create a space on QP.net for him and link to that from the contributors page.

Yes, we should definitely do that!

I might be wrong but I had in the back of my head that the contributors file would contain the people who had contributed to that particular release. So basically, if I don't do anything for the next 4 months (if this is our release schedule) then I get dropped from the list. If I then start to contribute again, I get added back on ? Obviously, contribute doesn't only mean code changes here.

I don't remember anything like that, but we can handle it that way if you all think it would make sense.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:18 pm

Tblue wrote:I don't remember anything like that, but we can handle it that way if you all think it would make sense.

Like I said, I could be wrong. It just seems wrong for my name to be on there still in two years time if I stop contributing tomorrow. Ultimately I am happy to go with whatever people think is fair.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Oh, it makes sense, I just couldn't remember us having talked about that already. :)
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:27 pm

Yeah Lee has it right. What we didn't do was define what "contribute" means. First time around I think if you played in the forums you were a contributor, and obviously anyone who does code/code review/manage stuff/provide space is contributing.
EdB
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:59 pm

leeturner wrote:+1 for the major.minor.lpv

Actually EdB, I think you have pretty much summed it up pretty well there. I am not sure that a minor release always has to be something 'serious' though. If we have a release schedule of 4 months (which I think is pretty cool) and the only changes that we have made in that time are small additions or minor bug fixes then shouldn't we release with the same major version number but an increased minor number. The release schedule doesn't always need to be tied to a major version increase. If in the 4 months after that we hit one the criteria like a DB update then we release with an increased major number.

I like the fact that our development cycles are quite small and focused and I really dig on the whole release often philosophy - it shows we are an active project etc.

We should definitely do a 1.0 release next and as soon as possible.

L

Was just about to say I'm off the by-time model because I just want us to have *something*, and the thing we are working towards here is a yard and a half better than "look at a calendar"...

So yeah let's do one other bit for a minor: it has been 4 months since the last release and we do actually have 10 (12? 15? 3?) branches to brag about so yay for a minor release.

Hey what does it actually take to make a release happen via LP? Other than "click on stuff till it happens" is what I mean. Like, I forget exactly but I'm 99% certain LP doesn't figure out what triggers the localization thing. IIRC, if we make a change to our _global (or was it our messages.po(?t)?) then LP knows to do it's thing.

And can we agree that "what snapshot makes is what we call our product"? No extra holder folder is where I'm at on that.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:14 am

EdB wrote:So yeah let's do one other bit for a minor: it has been 4 months since the last release and we do actually have 10 (12? 15? 3?) branches to brag about so yay for a minor release.

Yeah, something like that. :)

Hey what does it actually take to make a release happen via LP? Other than "click on stuff till it happens" is what I mean. Like, I forget exactly but I'm 99% certain LP doesn't figure out what triggers the localization thing. IIRC, if we make a change to our _global (or was it our messages.po(?t)?) then LP knows to do it's thing.

LP only cares about *.pot and *.po. We need to update our .pot file, then people can translate stuff either directly or via LP (i. e. they work on the .po files), then we merge all translations (i. e. people not using LP have to upload their .po files to LP, LP does the rest) and finally, LP spits out the final .po files we can use. I know, that sounds a bit complicated.

So, we need to run that PHP script that extracts strings that can be translated... I can do that before release.

And can we agree that "what snapshot makes is what we call our product"? No extra holder folder is where I'm at on that.

Hm, snapshot creates an additional folder, "quam-plures", but that makes sense, I think... More folders are certainly not necessary. :)
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:55 am

Tblue wrote:Hm, snapshot creates an additional folder, "quam-plures", but that makes sense, I think... More folders are certainly not necessary. :)

yay for the translations thing, and I'm not saying "do not have an extra folder". Just recall all the noise about it being called upload_files? So I figure whatever snapshot does is good so let's use it. Consistency is cool eh?
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:17 am

"quam-plures" folder is a good one. Lets stick to that moving forwards.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:19 am

EdB wrote:I can enjoy that model probably more than time-based,

Mozilla went to a fixed time release. In my opinion, they did it more as a marketing ploy; so it would not look as if Chrome was beating them, or they were falling behind.
Kimberly
Dracone

Previous

Return to The Future