Support forums : The Future

where all my branches are

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

where all my branches are

Postby EdB » Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:51 am

Figured I'd do this in the forums than in a merge comment cuz it's more generic than focused. Currently I have 27 branches of QP. Most are IMHO destined to be part of QP even though I know that code review can easily show that something isn't needed. A few moments ago I totally deleted a branch that was functionally pointless for example.

Anyway of all "my" branches only 2 are pushed to where we can all access them, and I don't like that. 25 branches that I don't have to concern myself with updating before doing anything else, 2 that I always forget to do that with. In other words, 2 branches of "mine" that do not show up at https://code.launchpad.net/~edb/+branch ... y-marker=1. One of those two was in my name but moved to group and nothing else happened with it. 2 and a half months after moving it, nothing has changed that I haven't changed and it just sits there in merge. The other I put into the "we can all play" space figuring maybe others would be able to pick up where I'm just not comfortable playing but nothing has happened that I haven't done. So it really doesn't matter that I don't do an update before committing my changes eh?

I also try to honor the thing where a branch author is supposed to keep his/her branches in sync with core. Right now I can look at one folder and one link to see what I do not have up to date. A few days ago I accidentally did a local commit for "adding core updates" and didn't learn that until I compared the link above to my folder where I interface with LP. For any branch in the common space I have to go elsewhere to ensure what I see here is what is actually at LP.

Anyway bottom line is I'm not into using the common space because it puts more burden on me and doesn't add any value for me. So Tblue if you've a better way of doing the "multiple instances" thing just push it as a new branch. I've no doubt you found problems in it. "It works without error" is a bare minimum eh? I do try to think through all sorts of issues, and I do try for clean smart code, and often I look at your work and say "that is how I should be coding" so it wouldn't surprise me that you've found flaws and a better way. So push it up and put it in merge review. Assuming you're right I'll just wipe out my branch and approve yours.

Wow I'm tired and my truck STILL won't start. Diesels run forever until they don't :(
EdB
Dracone

Re: where all my branches are

Postby Tblue » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:50 pm

No worries, I already pushed my changes to another branch. Will put it in merge review so you can look at it. :)
Tblue
Dracone

Return to The Future