Support forums : The Future

New Libraries or Not ?

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

New Libraries or Not ?

Postby leeturner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 am

I am currently having a play in the plugin area trying to get the help in a nice jquery popup window. Now I admit I have not played with jquery in any real way up till now so I am wondering what the best way to tackle this is?

There are nice libraries out there that will already do what we want - fancybox being the one I have used in the past and they are pretty easy to integrate:

lightbox_help.png
lightbox_help.png (236.76 KiB) Viewed 4673 times

Or the other way is to write all this stuff from scratch to avoid including extra libraries.

Just wondered what the teams thoughts are?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Re: New Libraries or Not ?

Postby EdB » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:02 pm

First off may I suggest you merge in the "update jquery and jqueryUI" branch and tinker with the latest and greatest of those products?

As to external libraries getting added to core vs adding them via a plugin vs home-rolled code:

I'd say adding a library to get a tiny feature shouldn't happen. OTOH if we're really going to enjoy the fact that the library is present then of course we should go for it. BTW the jqueryUI has a ton of components that I did not include due to we didn't have them before. So perhaps jqueryUI is a place to find stuff for your needs? It would minimize the adding of libraries is where I'm at.

Oh and this case pretty much has nothing to do with a plugin but it is related in my head due to the idea of adding simplepie instead of many plugins adding it on their own.

ANYWAY I'd say we should add libraries when they add value for us in more than just one area. For example let's say we add lightbox for the current mission. It can also be used by plugin authors, but more importantly it should be used in all cases where we need that feature. The "add a widget" piece for example. What I'm trying to say is add it if it makes sense, but then let's use it wherever we need that type of thing. Unless jqueryUI has something equally useful for both.

Does this make any sense?
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 pm

OK, I'll check out JQuery UI first and then make a call.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:24 pm

http://jquery.com/ and http://jqueryui.com/home ... and I've been tinkering with http://www.uploadify.com/ which is why I did the "upgrade bits" branch.

OT: we should put up a blog post about what items and versions we have in our core. I think Kimberly might have a post that goes on that path a bit. I should look for it...
EdB
Dracone

Return to The Future