Support forums : The Future

Domains and Hosting

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: Domains and Hosting

Postby Kimberly » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:21 am

Kimberly wrote:As I suspected by the whois info, the domains are locked by the registrar. Registrars don't like losing domain names because they lose the fees. I requested that Anne contact her registrar and request (for me, you request, then you tell them you are going to kick their arse and notify ICANN). Hopefully they remove the locks and we can get this transfer finalised. I asked Anne about just handing over the account but she has other domains registered under that same account.

No word from Anne as of this evening at 8:15 pm my time zone. Anne insisted the domains were not locked. I don't know Anne. For all I know she might not be willing to contact her registrar and request the removal of the locks. I will wait a day or two and see if Anne answers the last email to her rewarding the locks.

The above is why I want to eventually get the domains in a separate account where administration can be handled by the group. It was just easier for now to transfer them to my account since we would need to establish the payment system before we can set up the domain account.

Will keep the group posted.

-Kimberly

Edit I have just been informed that the authorisation code for the quamplures.org domain was incorrect. I have contacted Anne and requested the correct code. Without the correct authorisation code; as well as removing the lock, the domain can not be transferred.

Edit I have received the authorisation codes and the transfer process should be completed soon; depending of course if the domains have been unlocked
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:49 am

The .net and .com domains have been transferred. The .org is still being processed.

Edit The .org has now been transferred as well. The domains will expire in November of 2012
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 pm

Great. Are all the DNS settings still the same?
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:34 pm

Tblue wrote:Great. Are all the DNS settings still the same?

Yes, the DNS are the same. Otherwise, this forum would have gone down, correct? Now, has anyone heard back from Scott? Do we need to be concern with the hosting of the site/forum?

I still need to pay for these domains. Will I be able to get some help with the costs? I have yet to get the bill, but I was suppose to get a discount, $7US each for the .net and .org, and $5US for the .com. However, they don't always honour such discounts.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 am

I sent Scott a message on Facebook but have yet to get a reply. I have just sent him a PM to see if he picks that up any quicker.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Wed Aug 31, 2011 2:22 pm

Kimberly wrote:Yes, the DNS are the same. Otherwise, this forum would have gone down, correct?

Correct, but changes in the DNS sometimes propagate slowly, that's why I was asking. :)

I still need to pay for these domains. Will I be able to get some help with the costs?

How much will everything cost in the worst case, i. e. if you don't get any discounts?

Re. the hosting: I'm already hosting the new bug tracker and I guess I could host the forums and the main site as well, but the traffic may become a problem (200 GB per month included, more costs money). Also, I'm still not entirely sure if my fairly cheap server would be able to handle everything properly (in terms of resources, i. e. RAM and CPU). It would probably work, but we will have to see how it works out in the end.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:30 pm

All three domains are charged at $9.99/year. Let's round that to $30.00 US for all three for one year. If I was doing well I would just pay that, but I don't have much of an income at the moment. When we can, we can see about setting up a separate account with a separate payment for the domains so they can be safe from people disappearing.

We will see what Scott tells us. I could probably host something as I don't think our current transfer load is enough to worry my host.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:56 pm

I'm sorry, but I pretty much can't help at all. I have tons of space and bandwidth for hosting, but I'm so close to homeless that the webs will fall down shortly after I move into a cardboard box.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:22 pm

I think we should be OK with regards to hosting. I think most of us have some option we can use. I have a hosting reseller account so I can throw a few resources at it. I still haven't had a response from Scott so not sure where we need to go on that front. It would obviously be good to keep it where it is to keep disruption to a minimum but if we need access to things and we can't then that would be bad.

I have access via FTP but not to any hosting control panel etc.

I can also help out with the domain costs.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 pm

EdB wrote:I'm sorry, but I pretty much can't help at all. I have tons of space and bandwidth for hosting, but I'm so close to homeless that the webs will fall down shortly after I move into a cardboard box.

I fully understand what you mean. My old transport is broken, already spent $107 and still not running and it is the only vehicle I have for transport. So far I do have a roof over my head. Total income for 2010 was around $5000.00; for the whole year. Hoping to get some websites to help out the income but that is not working out either.
Kimberly
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to The Future