Support forums : The Future

Domains and Hosting

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

Domains and Hosting

Postby leeturner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:17 am

I thought I would start a new thread for this so it is easier to keep track of. I have contacted Scott on Facebook but I think he is away at the moment so no reply as of yet. I have also spoken to Topanga on Twitter and she said she wasn't going to renew the domains so it is probably a good thing we thought about this now. Here are the domains that were registered when QP was set up:

quamplures.com
quamplures.net
quamplures.org
quamplures.eu
karmaware.net

We obviously use the .net one and it has been mentioned that the .com would be useful for paid services but as for the others the question is do we need them?

Thoughts?
leeturner
Dracone

Re: Domains and Hosting

Postby Tblue » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:58 am

I *thought* we had quamplures.be as well, but it turns out we don't (maybe we used to?). Well, even better, it's not needed anyway. :)

I don't think .eu is necessary... What about .org and .com? They are unused right now, but maybe we should keep them just in case? (Somebody else could take them otherwise.)

We use .net, so we should obviously keep it. :) Not sure about karmaware.net, but I _think_ that was yabs' idea and if I remember correctly, he planned to encourage users to give Kiva loans in return for the software we offer.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 pm

.net is obviously active, .com ought to be active if we have good hosting for it, all the rest can fade away.

.com could be a free hosting using "nightly build applied once per week" with no FTP access for users and google-ads dropped in everyone's sidebars for maybe a bit of funding the idea of us. That would give us a home for every template and plugin we have, and maybe some feedback from actual users. If nothing else we'd have access to error_log files :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:18 pm

Hosting would require appropriate resources...

Yeah, we have no use for .org, except keeping it so that others cannot "steal" it (domain squatters, anyone?).
Tblue
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:57 pm

OK, so it looks like we are looking at keeping .com .net and .org (so others cannot use it)

We can let the others expire.

These are obviously going to have to be transfered to someone and will need to be funded when renewal time comes round. I am happy to do that but happy for anyone else to do it?

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:15 pm

Well, I'd do it if I had more money than I currently do. I'm pretty sure my situation will change in the future, I just don't know when...

I don't know to which registrar you are transferring the domains, but mine charges only €9.50 (that's £8.30 or US-$ 13.70) for all these TLDs, per year. That's not much for anybody employed, but for a penniless student, well...
Tblue
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:36 am

It is a good thing we found out that the domains were not going to be renewed; I wonder when we would have found out? Once a domain expires the domain whores will scoop it up.

I use 1and1.com for registering domain names, currently .com names are $9.98 US per year. I suggest keeping the .org as domains are fairly cheap now If need be I can have them transfer to my account but I am poor and would need funding for the domains; I actually earn below the US poverty level; way below. Possibly could host the sites but I pay on a quarter basis and it has been tight at times having the amount in my PayPal account to pay the fees.

Perhaps setting up a PayPal account for Quam Plures (or one of the other paypal like sites) where we can donate to to help pay for hosting costs and domain name fees and such; giving what we can when we can.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:43 am

Kimberly wrote:Perhaps setting up a PayPal account for Quam Plures (or one of the other paypal like sites) where we can donate to to help pay for hosting costs and domain name fees and such; giving what we can when we can.

As I think on this more, having a PayPal account (or similar) is probably a smart thing to do. We could also ask for donations if needed; "Our software is completely free to download and use. If you find our software useful and would like to make a donation of any amount to help us offset our operational costs...."

If nothing else, we can make sure we have the funds to help pay for the domain fees when renewal times comes.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:40 pm

We should probably set up a new independent account at a registrar. While I am happy to handle it with my current account, it would be best to establish a new account and one of us, or all of us, can administer that account. That way the domains are separate from any of us and if any of us have to stop being active in the development of QP we do not run into the current situation we now have.

I have research domain name fees and found that 1and1 offers some of the cheapest non promotional rates out there. Plus, I don't think they will go anywhere any time soon. We need to discuss which registrar we want to handle the domain names.

P.S. using a registrar that takes paypal (or similar) might be beneficial as we will not have to worry about credit cards. 1and1 does accept paypal payments.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:10 pm

Do you need a Paypal account to donate to another Paypal account? The problem is that I don't have a Paypal account; actually, I can't open one. Background: I used to have a Paypal account, but cancelled it. Turns out you can only add a bank account to Paypal ONCE -- if you create a new Paypal account, they don't allow you to add that bank account again. Stupid, isn't it? They said they would allow it if I verified my identity, which I did -- I was then told they couldn't transfer my bank account from the old, closed Paypal account to my current one because of "technical difficulties". I hate Paypal. Not a reliable company. They also sometimes freeze your account if they feel like it (also happened to accounts collecting donations).

I also don't have a credit card. I hope Paypal accepts wire transfers from non-American bank accounts, without requiring me to have an account with them first.

The problem is that there is no alternative to Paypal that is widely accepted. Some companies accepts Amazon Payments or Google Checkout, but the latter requires a credit card, I think.

Anyway, I like the idea of everybody chipping in. :)
Tblue
Dracone

Next

Return to The Future