Support forums : The Future

avoid css @import?

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: avoid css @import?

Postby Tblue » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 pm

Hm, I just noticed that you are "manually" minifying and merging stylesheets in your pagespeed_no_at-import_public branch (and in img_alt_and_cap as well)... Actually, that's what the minify library I linked above does for us -- which is cool because it keeps the original files more maintainable and readable. I haven't looked at integrating minify yet (well, actually, I had a quick look already, but I didn't write any code), but I definitely plan to integrate it with QP.

In short, I'm not sure if it is a good idea to merge the two branches I mentioned above when we plan to do automatic CSS optimization anyway.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm

I kinda thought so too. Except for waiting for something else to happen hardly seems a reason to not do something now.

Tell ya what: I've only got one branch in merge that goes down that path. Maybe two I guess come to think of it, but only one that focuses on pagespeed stuff. Anyway I'll take that out of merge and find the other one and undo the "home-made minification" of the style sheet. There must be another one in merge cuz you mention 2 so I figure there's 2 :) There's 3 branches named pagespeed something in my world but only one in merge so the other must be one of the others. Which makes anti-sense.

The drawback is that minification isn't here so a significant boost to pagespeed score won't happen.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:04 pm

Okay. :)

The drawback is that minification isn't here so a significant boost to pagespeed score won't happen.

Oh, I hope it will once we have integrated minify!
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:56 am

Come to think of it, there really isn't a problem here. The manual minification was done only to files that are not expected to be edited by a template author. The template styles OTOH were not manually minified. The point of this branch was to get rid of @import. Manual minification of the "core styles" was incidental and secondary. Not sure if minification gets rid of @import or not.

Either way the one branch with "pagespeed" in it's name is out of merge. Haven't really looked for the other yet, or gone after the code improvement you said something needed. I gotta catch up all my various copies of everything because I don't run just core, and it is kinda a pain to make sure I am reasonably in sync with core. Once that is done I'll work on the branch you said needed fixing.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:53 am

Yes, minification merge @imports, I think. Right, but I think automatic minification will also affect these "special" CSS files and not editing them keeps them editable. :)

Okay, great!
Tblue
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:12 am

Just thinking out loud here but another option is to build minification into our build process (if we have one). I'm all cool with building it into the core but just thinking that we could also do this at release time:

pull release files -> minify js/css -> any other process we want to run -> zip/tar release -> upload to qp.net -> publish that we have a new release.

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:34 am

Hm, true, but you have to admit that automatic minification is very convenient and also kind of cool. ;)
Tblue
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:42 am

Yup, it certainly has the cool factor ;)

L
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:18 pm

I'm with tblue on this one. The thing is if we add it as a step to packaging then we add the opportunity for a mistake or an omitted step. Plus the daily (nightly?) zip that tblue creates automagically wouldn't have this benefit.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:28 pm

Well, technically the nightly build should use the same build process as our normal build for our release process.

Anyway, I'm cool with adding it into the core. I was just thinking out loud around different options.

L
leeturner
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to The Future