Support forums : The Future

avoid css @import?

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: avoid css @import?

Postby Tblue » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 pm

okay cool. I mean, awesomely cool.

This brings up again the problem we have with ordering our head stuff. We have css after js but not always. haven't delved into that, but I surely would like to get that corrected then see about adding this.

How about a goal of pagespeed score >= 90? I'm up to the low 80s but I don't know what "QP LP current" is at. Nor what it would be at after the first pagespeed branch.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:00 am

Having JS after CSS or the other way round should be doable, I think.

Pagespeed challenge: Well, why not? Let's go after it.
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:09 pm

Testing 3 versions of QP using Chrome 12.0.742.122 with the pagespeed extension v1.11.2. The test is really simple: I do an install on firefox then paste the "home" button URL into chrome, then run pagespeed. BTW reds are the worst (we have no reds), then yellows, then greens. Items seem to be ordered per what is worst comes first within any color group.
  • A) the v0.0.0 zip: scores 56/100
    • YELLOWS: Leverage browser caching, Enable compression, Avoid CSS @import
    • GREENS: Optimize the order of styles and scripts, Minify CSS, Minify JavasScript, Specify image dimensions, Specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header
  • B) QP as it currently is in LP: scores 56/100
    • YELLOWS: Leverage browser caching, Enable compression, Avoid CSS @import
    • GREENS: Optimize the order of styles and scripts, Minify CSS, Minify JavasScript, Specify image dimensions, Specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header
    • --->No improvements, which makes sense since we haven't been looking at this angle at all.
  • C) the way I'm running it (adds most of the branches in merge and a couple of others): scores 65/100
    • YELLOWS: Leverage browser caching, Enable compression
    • GREENS: Optimize the order of styles and scripts, Minify JavasScript, Minify CSS, Specify image dimensions, Specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header
    • --->Minify CSS moved below Minify JavaScript most likely due to the "pagespeed_whatever" branch.
  • D) C plus a branch I have to make and push because WOW: scores 85/100
    • YELLOWS: Enable compression
    • GREENS: Optimize the order of styles and scripts, Minify JavasScript, Leverage browser caching, Minify CSS, Specify image dimensions, Specify a Vary: Accept-Encoding header
    • --->"leverage browser caching" went from yellow to green due to the next branch which will be "pagespeed_mod-expires" which we can't bet on but WOW!

So I'm thinking a score of 90+ is a pretty easy goal :D I wonder what evo333 would score at (but not enough to install it ;) )
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:49 am

My garden and kitchen blogs are on 3.3.3 (slight modification by me) so you can use them if you are curious as to evo speeds.
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:44 am

Got link(s)? Or just paste it in at http://pagespeed.googlelabs.com and see what it says about 'em.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:48 pm

I only ran it once for each; both blogs are on the same install. I know that I should run it several times and compute an average but I am lazy. :D

The page Kimberly's Garden got an overall Page Speed Score of 79 (out of 100).
The page Kimberly's Kitchen got an overall Page Speed Score of 83 (out of 100).
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:13 pm

Wow that's pretty good, and it motivated me to test a stock evo333 in the same environment as the tests above.

55 of 100, no reds, yellows=leverage browser caching, avoid css @import, greens = enable compression, minify css, minify javascript, specify image dimensions, specify a vary: accept-encoding header.

Which is pretty much the same as tests A and B above, which pretty much means nothing has changed. I'm gonna guess the one point diff is from ripping out all the bloat from templates even though there is no line item for "way too many tabs and useless html comments in your actual content" but that's only because I personally think that matters.

The 2 pagespeed branches are where it's at for upping our score, though the one not in merge right now might not be valuable if we can figure out how to use the minify thing Tblue pointed out.
EdB
Dracone

Postby Tblue » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:49 pm

Hm, I will try to look at some of the R2Ms today. Here's my current TODO list:

• Look at the minify script and see how we can use it in QP (maybe I will do this one first? Looks like fun!)
  • Make the Auto P plugin work correctly (it doesn't handle HTML comments correctly or something. Maybe EdB remembers? That issue popped up in a R2M discussion. Anyway, I think I am about 30% done with that task.)
  • Add nonces (not too hard, but also not too easy. No code written yet by myself, but thanks to yabs and Afwas, we/I have some good ideas and some code as well...)
Tblue
Dracone

Postby EdB » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:40 pm

I will wait on your use of minify before considering R2Ming my 2nd pagespeed branch because minify will obsolete changing the .htaccess file. Plus being fixed it sucks when you change something and want to see the results today, so hopefully minify uses the idea of versioning file names...

On auto-p, I'm pretty sure we have 2 problems. One is that it doesn't do comments correctly. Something about how it wraps them in a P tag, or possibly puts a BR before/after? I'm recalling something about how it handles them wrong but I never noticed with CCL plugin because it always put the cc license code as a comment at the end of the item. Secondly, and this one really sucks, is how it interacts with other plugins. This is due entirely to priorities though, so I'm thinking that plugin needs to be priority #1 BUT I'm sure there are problems with that as well.

I'm going to stick my nose in the nonce branch where it is non-functional stuff. It changed spaces to tabs inline, which is something we were undoing. And some other stuff like todo tags which don't have a nice answer I'm afraid. But anyway autodocs is my little contribution so I'll take it on myself to get a nice answer for us on how we can EASILY ensure our todo tags get into the todo.html page.
EdB
Dracone

PreviousNext

Return to The Future