Support forums : The Future

my "generational" dreams

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: my "generational" dreams

Postby EdB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:04 pm

@import is gone from our public side, but styles are (I think) similar. maybe not as smart though.

We include a bunch of "base" styles ... too many IMHO ... but anyway it is what we do. The author who wants to change a class or id simply does so in their own template's style.css file. Since our template's style.css is last it becomes the final say on how anything is actually styled.

When I pulled @import out of QP5 I also did some work on reducing the bulk of styles we automagically always included in every public template display. For example body{foo:bar;} was defined exactly the same twice, and both were always included every time. So I reduced the number of files and the contents of those files to be what the end visitor's browser would have seen in the same order they would have seen them - minus the obvious duplications.

hmmm... this brings up a thing I tried to figure out but didn't get done with: we have both templates and plugins that can bring in both style sheets and javascripts, and both can bring in both by multiple methods. This made it hard as heck to (a) always have style sheets first in the HEAD section and (b) be certain that the template's style sheet had the final say on styling.

Marginally Related: I am completely in favor of anything that reduces the amount of "style clutter" we send to a visitor's browser! I have a 'branch' on my computer that was almost 100% on getting calendar plugin styles out of core and into the template. One piece I wasn't sure on was how to let the template author say what the values for the classes/ids should be for their template. Anyway the idea was if an installation doesn't use a public calendar then we should not be sending those styles, and, the plugin should be able to handle it's own style needs - not core.

Off topic I just pushed some changes to the monster branch and updated the zip file. I noticed installing it said QP5 so that is fixed, and I cleaned up the .po files for plugins and templates. Not really big stuff, but details do matter :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby Kimberly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:43 pm

If we are going to minify the css into one css in the header; then plugin styles should be added last. That will ensure they override the base styles; correct?
Kimberly
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Kimberly wrote:If we are going to minify the css into one css in the header; then plugin styles should be added last. That will ensure they override the base styles; correct?

That's a good question. Perhaps template styles should be last? For example myplugin says to make some text be black with a yellow highlight, but your template's background is all yellow. So you want to override the plugin and make it be a white highlight. It's your template that needs the change so doesn't it make sense to change it in the template?

Anyway that's part of what I got bogged down in. First I wanted only one way for templates and only one way for plugins to add styles and scripts. Then I wanted to organize them into chunks for minification. AND I wanted to know which order we should do stuff in. So I gave up and moved on to something I felt I could get progress with :)
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:56 pm

It's a tough call because template creators can't possibly know about all the styles a plugin might change or the other way round - a plugin author can't possibly know about all the colours in all the templates.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:08 pm

Kimberly wrote:We still had the carry over of the number level permission thing in QP as well; it was deprecated but still in the code.

Going through Kimberly's posts to find something I missed, and I missed that I missed this :)

Yeah that number thing has to die. It is still in "monster" but seriously it's not valuable enough to keep. I've always seen value in having "shades" inside each group, mostly to be able to set a "group boss" type of thing, but that's really just 2 steps - not 10.

So maybe going forward we'll have a "boss" level and everyone else is a regular member? The boss could 'own' stuff of all other members in the group, and there can be more than one boss in a group. Along the same lines, any comments on posts made by Yabs on the QP blog ... he gets the emails and probably won't respond to 'em. So another feature we need is the ability to send notifications of comments (at a minimum) to the group boss(es) or the system admin or both. Or all three - author, group boss, system admin. Anyway yeah this 0 through 10 thing is a waste and needs to go.
EdB
Dracone

Previous

Return to The Future