Support forums : The Future

QP5 path: version numbers

The future of this project but not in a "I want a pony" sort of way. This is all about everything meta about Quam Plures. The general direction, the support tools, stuff like that.

Moderator: Dracones

Re: QP5 path: version numbers

Postby leeturner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:38 pm

EdB wrote:The branch and zip are completely ready for testing :)

Perhaps we should do some sort of official release thing? I was thinking the nightly snapshot could be a release, but maybe we stay with that as a nightly snapshot and still have an official release every now and again? That gets us into the whole press release angle (which is good) but gets us back to not knowing when (which is bad). Quarterly? Or every 4 months - which has no official term by the way? or X number of branches committed?

It's complicated and personally I don't think it takes complication. Personally if we change the files or database - to me - that's a new version. BUT maybe not ...

Personally I like the idea of the nightly being our release because I like the whole release early release often type approach. I think the problem is that people expect a more formal approach. Most people won't want to upgrade every time we commit a branch and most people who aren't in the code will want to know what has changed between versions etc etc.

It would be nice if we didn't need to maintain the changes doc ourselves (I know Ed was maintaining that for a while). Maybe we could take it all from the branch names or something from one release to the other.
leeturner
Dracone

Postby EdB » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:45 pm

leeturner wrote:... It would be nice if we didn't need to maintain the changes doc ourselves (I know Ed was maintaining that for a while). Maybe we could take it all from the branch names or something from one release to the other.

In that blog post I've got an html comment that says what revision I was up to. I was using that number to help me keep track of which merge emails were already covered by the blog post, but I no longer have the rest of the emails. It can all be found in the branch history though.

The most recent branch - I forget what I called it, but it might take more than just the name to get a good description of the changes.

So how about we undo the most recent change, call that an official release with a detailed history, then work on coming up with a detailed list of what "monster" is doing to core? I'm not sure if there is an "undo" button, but for sure we can pull core from one revision ago and basically treat it like a branch to the new core. Effectively that would mean two branches that cancel each other out.

That'd mean we could make 0.1.4 be a release, then very shortly make monster be 1.00.67 and officially release that.
EdB
Dracone

Postby leeturner » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 pm

Sounds good !
leeturner
Dracone

Previous

Return to The Future